a smoker trying to exercise...

Options
So,I do smoke about a pack a day of Newport 100s. Also some bud and occasionally hash. Running isn't exactly my first choice of activities. Anyone have any ideas on workouts that burn calories without burning my lungs?

Replies

• kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well, hopefully quitting smoking is on the "to do" list for you. This is coming from someone who's trying to quit as well (cigarettes- I don't smoke anything else).

I still run occasionally but if that's too hard on your lungs, just walk or do the elliptical. You can also lift weights.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used to smoke cigarettes. i still smoked while i was starting to exercise. i started cutting back on smoking to increase exercise. it took a while, but i don't smoke any more. maybe like, one a month.

smoking is going to hold you back on really really getting into an exercise groove.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I smoked over a pack a day and am a drinker, I started running when I turned 40 and do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day now.
    IT CAN BE DONE!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    To do anything effectively you are going to engage your cardio system at some level. QUIT SMOKING! It is not good for you, and quite frankly, it is really expensive habit. You could probably find better things to do with the 50-60 a week you are burning.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I smoked for the first 3+ years after I started exercising (just quit ciggies 100+ days ago). You could run, but it's a little tougher - but if you want to, just use the c25k program and take it at your own pace. I never had trouble on the elliptical machine, doing weights or weight machines, or in yoga. The classes at my gym were fine too. I did get to where I wouldn't smoke on my way to the gym...but even did that for probably the first year or so.
  • Garfy117
    Garfy117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Exercise is what finally helped me quit smoking. I took up running in a misguided attempt to offset some of the effects of smoking...over time the running made me want to smoke less (I'd think - "I've just put myself through an hour of hell - I'm damned if I'm going to undo all that work for the sake of a cigarette!").

I'd definitely encourage you to take it up. Also - have you considered elecetronic cigarettes?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You can probably do mild cardio as a smoker but you won't be able to progress. I HAD to quit smoking once I really start bicycling. I couldn't breathe. I could not imagine trying to run now as a smoker. Yeesh.

Not to mention, you probably stink like something foul. You never know how bad you smell as a smoker until you stop smoking.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't run all year, smokes a pack a day, then kicks my *kitten* in our annual 10km race, usually making it in the top 10 percent for his age category. So I think running is an option, as is almost anything else you choose to do:)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    so I am a smoker... yes, I am sure most smokers know we should quit, we stink, we spend money etc... that wasn't her question :grumble:

I was in the Army and ran just fine smoking... and we ran alot :laugh: I have never had an issue working out that was related to that but others may have. I think you could do it just ease into it and build up (I can also hold my breath a long time as well).

ETA: Since you don't want to run (hell I don't either but I hate cardio in general) then maybe look into more strength/resistance training.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    uhh, i quit smoking cigarettes right around the same time i started getting in shape. and i still smoke bud and whatnot, just not until AFTER i workout or else i slack really bad
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hilarious post... I'm not sure what you're getting at here but good luck... smh :noway:
  • budpuffer
    Options
    Thanks everyone,I like how everyone is so supportive. Quitting is defiantly I'm the plan, just not necessarily today.....smoking a cigarette at the moment.ashamed to say. But I will continue on my plan and am glad to have found this site.thanks again
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Switch over to smokeless tobacco, and eat the weed.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,I like how everyone is so supportive. Quitting is defiantly I'm the plan, just not necessarily today.....smoking a cigarette at the moment.ashamed to say. But I will continue on my plan and am glad to have found this site.thanks again

Ah! Ok, well weight training is a great way to get in better shape and burn some calories. It's not aerobic so it should be easier on your lungs for now.

Highly recommend you take the time to read about it, and pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great book on the fundamentals, and it'll keep you from putsing around in the gym "looking" like you're working out like 90% of people do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Work up to running......

Walk At Home DVDs (Leslie Sansone) are low impact aerobics you can do at your own pace. Most newer DVDs are chaptered so you can do 1 mile or 5. Add miles, bigger moves, higher knees......as your fitness improves....you will get there.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Ah! Ok, well weight training is a great way to get in better shape and burn some calories. It's not aerobic so it should be easier on your lungs for now.

Highly recommend you take the time to read about it, and pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great book on the fundamentals, and it'll keep you from putsing around in the gym "looking" like you're working out like 90% of people do.

This... this is what I do and I love that book and routine (ok.. except lunges :grumble: ) ... and I too will quit one day (cigs).. today is just not it lol
  • budpuffer
    Options
    Eat the weed, hilarious, good ideas tho. And I defiantly have the time and effort to go grab that book that was mentioned. I think yoga and weight training will be the first goals. Then running instead of walking the dogs. Thanks again everyone!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I was quit for a year before starting an exercise regimen. Probably the best decision I ever made. I wouldn't have been able to meet the demands of my exercises if I kept smoking ( I run, lift weights and was taking a boxing class for a while)

Tons of stamina and no smoker's cough!

Think about giving it up..... maybe?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So,I do smoke about a pack a day of Newport 100s. Also some bud and occasionally hash. Running isn't exactly my first choice of activities. Anyone have any ideas on workouts that burn calories without burning my lungs?

I was a heavy bud smoker... being in CA and having legal access to hit doesn't help my addiction.

Well, what I noticed is when Im on one I'm lazy and it hindered my progress.

Its been two days, LOL, and I have been keeping myself busy by constantly being on here... yes I'm lame but surrounding myself with like minded people helps.

Now, to answer your question, I run on treadmill anywhere from 40-over an hour and your lungs will get used to it. With any physical activity have to build endurance...

So you might feel winded at first doing any strenuous activity if your body is not used to it, not just running.

You could go for a brisk walk outside to start.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Switch over to smokeless tobacco, and eat the weed.

^^^This! Lolol. I guess you could eat the hash too. :laugh: :laugh: :wink: