Eat to LIve Dr. Fuhrman

Options
124»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SHE is right here and you can ask me directly. This would be my version of the 6-week plan.
    I did. On page 2 and again on page 3.

Thanks for replying.

I suspect your "jump start" will not afford you enough calories. Best of luck on your journey.
  • hannahgetto
    Options
    Hey guys! Okay so I have read alot on Dr. Fuhrman and being a vegan, have tried the diet. The basis of the diet is unlimited fruit veggies and beans and 1 carb and one fat per day. The diet is completely vegan. I love the feeling of eating a ton of veggies, however, being a distance runner, I find that I need more carbs than he says. When I do this diet, I find myself really hungry, even though I am getting enough nutrients. This may be because at the time I was running 50-60 miles per week and the average calories for this diet are around 1000-1500, which is just not sustainable for an athlete or anyone under the age of 25. I like the idea of this diet, however, I find it easier to consume more fruit and carbs than he says. Also, this is a VERY INTENSE lifestyle change if you are not already vegan or vegetarian. If you want to go vegetarian/vegan, I would advise to just start cutting out meat and milk and see how you feel, then try Dr. Fuhrman.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took a genuine interest in this thread and tried to offer some helpful feedback. I've read all your posts and I will take your insights to heart.

There also appear to be some folks who prefer to use their comments to dismiss and discourage, and to engage in some kind of armchair-nutritionist one-upsmanship, which is the type of communication I'd hoped to avoid. If this is the type of experience I can expect on MFP I'll be happy to look elsewhere. Some of you fine folks may even be right, but your message is so offensively presented I can't even hear it. So, good luck with your own health and fitness, and all the best in the new year.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi, thumb brower47. It would be helpful for me to see any studies showing eating a plant-based whole food diet contributes to loss of lean body mass while losing weight – thanks. To me, not eating until you’re hungry sounds sensible, but again if there’s research out there to indicate it’s not, it would help me to see it. Much appreciated!

Hi, ILiftHeavyAcr. I’m no scientist, but pp. 319-364 of the edition I have of Eat to Live is all references to peer-reviewed studies, if that helps. In the ETL approach, you get all your protein from plant sources (e.g. beans) given the evidence linking animal protein with cancers, heart disease, etc. (When I came across people like those profiled at veganbodybuilding.com, that helped convince me. )

Hi, MyChocolateDi. The first time I tried this program I did have brief headaches for a few days. Fortunately they did not trigger a migraine, which I too have a propensity for getting. My headaches really didn’t surprise me when I considered that my body was “moving out” the aftermath of all the poor-quality food I’d been eating beforehand! But as you suggested, this approach may not be reasonable for everyone.

No-one said that eating a plant based diet leads to loss of LBM. A plant based diet with ridiculously low protein and calories does.

Also, there are a load of foods (including plant ones) that have studies that imply there is a possible link to cancers, heart disease etc. Could you cite the sources of ones that sow a causal link to animal protein increasing the risk of these diseases (assuming a reasonable diet).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took a genuine interest in this thread and tried to offer some helpful feedback. I've read all your posts and I will take your insights to heart.

There also appear to be some folks who prefer to use their comments to dismiss and discourage, and to engage in some kind of armchair-nutritionist one-upsmanship, which is the type of communication I'd hoped to avoid. If this is the type of experience I can expect on MFP I'll be happy to look elsewhere. Some of you fine folks may even be right, but your message is so offensively presented I can't even hear it. So, good luck with your own health and fitness, and all the best in the new year.

Oh, sorry, I did not realize that you were the OP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

my apologies for trying to save you money and point towards a more sensible path..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I sent you a PM about 10-15 minutes ago with a suggestion. Best of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

She wasn't.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    Thanks, Sabine! I'll take you up on your suggestion. :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the food list as written by a book reviewer. Can't find the list on the official site, probably because they want you to buy the book.

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/eat-to-live-by-joel-fuhrman-2003-2011-what-to-eat-and-foods-to-avoid-food-list/#six
    Wow...............I don't know what to say about it.........you would really need to be pretty nutritionally challenged to get totally on board.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So you wanted to avoid differing opinions? How do you ever make informed decisions if you insist on only hearing the side you want to hear?

Also, I like how the people that disagree are the 'armchair-nutritionist' even though the people who are in agreement likely have as much or less nutritional knowledge.

/le sigh
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hi, thumb brower47. It would be helpful for me to see any studies showing eating a plant-based whole food diet contributes to loss of lean body mass while losing weight – thanks. To me, not eating until you’re hungry sounds sensible, but again if there’s research out there to indicate it’s not, it would help me to see it. Much appreciated!

I said this plan won't promote the retention of lean body mass, not that all plant-based whole food diets did. There are plenty of vegetarians that do quite well with muscle retention and even muscle building while also being vegetarians.

I don't know why I even have to type this again but 'not eating until you're really hungry' won't have anything to do with retaining muscle. Adequate protein intake, modest deficits and weight bearing exercise will. And no, I can't show you a study refuting your 'eating when hungry' claim is untrue because no one is going to test such a ludicrous theory.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think he's a little 'out there', like I said, but I wonder if his thought is like this- Under his method (which I think is pretty low calorie and that he's one of those who believes eating very low calorie extends life) you're not going to ever gain enough weight to have to lose weight, which would sort of spare lean body mass. In effect. Though that would only apply to eating his way as a maintenance lifestyle, I assume, not as a way to lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

She wasn't.

I know.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but isn't the gist of his idea that it's a good idea to choose foods on the basis of nutrients-per-calorie rather than nutrients-per-unit-mass or whatever? I've tried to make that my approach, more or less, and I think it's made it easier to lose weight. It seems like my hunger isn't as sharp, and is easier to control, when I eat that way. YMMV. I want to emphasize, though:

1- if it's the book I'm thinking, it's been a long time since I read it.
    2- I have been pretty much only losing weight, not adding muscle mass. I could easily see how extensive adaptation would be needed for mass building.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have been thriving on Dr. Fuhrmans plant-based eating plan since March....after a couple starts and bumps in the road. I actually moved over to his site to get daily support from folks working the program. I am down 50 lbs, FEEL so much better, off most meds except the bare essentials....ie for my post heart attack, ticker! In addition I have to back burner "trigger" food sometimes, like Ezekial bread. so many chronic diseases are created by our SAD eating. Thankfully my adult kids and grand daughter are also Nutritarians.

My heart attack at 48 was insane. Eating organic, plant-based diet is fun!

Dawn
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Other interesting researched based authors I have read and watched on YOU TUBE:

Dr. Ornish
    Dr. Esselstyn
    The Bitter Truth...on sugar, forgot Dr. Name but this is top notch esp for those of us with a full set of sweet teeth
    Forks Over Knives
    The China Study
    Dr. McGregor
    Hawaiian Vegan channel on YT sponsors many of the top researchers and writers in the field of nutrition.

Initially I swamped myself with info. Dr. Fuhrman's 25 years of nutritionally research was just what I was looking for, for guidance. I do have to tweak for my own trigger foods .... And may be able to have them down the road....things like nut butters, even crazy healthy bread.

Protein is always the first question. I think this program provides exactly the right amount of protein from veg, beans, nuts and seeds for a Human. IMHO the dairy and meat industry have their $$$ interests at heart as they push higher protein values. I simply follow the plan and don't worry about protein or carb or fat. B12, D, DHO (Omega 3's) are essential for me, too.

Whatever you do, feel well! And say NO to processed food. I think that would go miles in helping folks.

Dawn
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Supplementing with B12 .... eh, if you don't have an underlying medical issue that requires you to supplement with something, but you eat such a restricted diet, that supplementing becomes necessary, then you're doing something wrong ... More fruits and vegetables, whole minimally processed foods, great ... but no meat, dairy, eggs, and fish ...bah ...

Side note: Dr. Furman kind of looks kind of like Dr. Goebbels ... creepy ... And he doesn't exactly exude health and vitality, I attended one of his lectures maybe 6 or 7 years ago (for free because I worked at the venue) and he was saying that he only eats about 1600 calories a day ... meh ...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. because this interests me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been thriving on Dr. Fuhrmans plant-based eating plan since March....after a couple starts and bumps in the road. I actually moved over to his site to get daily support from folks working the program. I am down 50 lbs, FEEL so much better, off most meds except the bare essentials....ie for my post heart attack, ticker! In addition I have to back burner "trigger" food sometimes, like Ezekial bread. so many chronic diseases are created by our SAD eating. Thankfully my adult kids and grand daughter are also Nutritarians.

My heart attack at 48 was insane. Eating organic, plant-based diet is fun!

Dawn
    Congrats on feeling better AND losing 50LBS!