Those who cut out sugar

Options

Replies

• bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 170-172, 5'6". Havent finished eating for today. I eat up to 20-25 grams of carbs, those will mostly be from vegetables. Usually peanut butter has around 7grams of carbs per 2tbsp. So that fits. I wouldn't look at my recent tracking history, I just began tracking again to hit my next goal. I took about a 3 month break from tracking. Maintained easy. Looking to drop maybe 10-15 more lbs, or start lifting I don't know yet.

It's common to experience better sleep, a more stable mood, stable energy (mostly from no sugar crash), don't feel bloated after meals, people report their IBS is gone after cutting carbs out. My skin cleared up significantly, this is a pretty common effect also. One of the big ones for me is my back feels much better when i'm not eating carbs. Carbs cause joint inflammation.

There are many benefits that shouldn't be ignored because you feel it's BS. It's not BS at all. By the way, eating steak/eggs/hams/cheese/spinach/mashed cauliflower for dinner is a plus to eating this way. If you have any other questions just ask me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Won't waste my time. Thread was made for "those who cut out sugar". I have a year and a few months experience in having cut sugar out, have obviously had success in dropping alot of weight, along with other health benefits. It's a shame for the OP, great supportive community you guys have here.

We do have a very supportive community. One that is willing to call BS when we see it. There's no reason to allow people to be deceived into depriving themselves when it's not necessary. Real support starts with honesty. Period.

Totally this!! It happens with such regularity. Some knucklehead shows up, makes a few dopey posts and then won't waste their time when their nonsense is challenged. Great! Seeya!! The sad part is there are 1000 more ready to take their place.
  • bawlzz
    Options
    Won't waste my time. Thread was made for "those who cut out sugar". I have a year and a few months experience in having cut sugar out, have obviously had success in dropping alot of weight, along with other health benefits. It's a shame for the OP, great supportive community you guys have here.

news flash…calorie deficit lead to weight drop ..not cutting out sugar...

That's obvious. I'm not sure you've added anything with real substance and thought behind it in this thread so far. Not sure what you're motive is.
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with a few others...Not sure what kind of dietary need or medical condition...so here it goes...few more details about you might give you better advice. =)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Your a 23 year old male eating less than 1250 cals a days (1000, 1185, 797). Tell me more about these lovely health benefits. Granted you don't log consistently, so maybe you're just bad at logging...then again, who knows if you really do cut out sugar. I mean I saw peanut butter, but I guess that doesn't count.

Wow. That's terrifying.

Dude you have to eat some vegetables.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've noticed when I cut back on junk food in general it's much easier to maintain....by junk food I mean little debbie snacks, chips, cookies etc....not just sugar. IIFYM doesn't work with me in this case because I tend to go over when I indulge the sweet tooth.

I have a big weakness for them though, so I'm taking it a day at a time.

I don't think you understand what IIFYM is at all.

IIFYM in terms of eating what you want to stay within your macros and cals...when I eat junk I will usually go over on cals. But My issue is of self control, not the junk itself.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. A carb is a macro nutrient. If you just track your macro nutrients, you can eat the amount of carbs that you have set for yourself, whether it's in fruit or straight up spoonfuls of table sugar, or in a snickers bar. It doesn't matter. Track your macro nutrients and you don't have to worry about it.

+1
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 170-172, 5'6". Havent finished eating for today. I eat up to 20-25 grams of carbs, those will mostly be from vegetables. Usually peanut butter has around 7grams of carbs per 2tbsp. So that fits. I wouldn't look at my recent tracking history, I just began tracking again to hit my next goal. I took about a 3 month break from tracking. Maintained easy. Looking to drop maybe 10-15 more lbs, or start lifting I don't know yet.

It's common to experience better sleep, a more stable mood, stable energy (mostly from no sugar crash), don't feel bloated after meals, people report their IBS is gone after cutting carbs out. My skin cleared up significantly, this is a pretty common effect also. One of the big ones for me is my back feels much better when i'm not eating carbs. Carbs cause joint inflammation.

There are many benefits that shouldn't be ignored because you feel it's BS. It's not BS at all. By the way, eating steak/eggs/hams/cheese/spinach/mashed cauliflower for dinner is a plus to eating this way. If you have any other questions just ask me.

Thing is, I eat a high carb, higher sugar diet and I feel fantastic-I sleep great, have lots of energy, have no health issurs/complaints, had great blood test results the last time around, including not having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range anymore. And I'm maintaining beautifully and effortlessly. And I eat as I like, which means today I had a cinnamon roll, pizza and breadsticks, peanut butter rice krispy bars (3), as well as things like a sweet potato and salad with regular ranch dressing etc. I also have a flat stomach (no bloating here, as you can see from my profile pictures), tight bum and calves and a pretty awesome strong back, shoulders and arms.

To each their own :drinker:
  • kpierson1987
    kpierson1987 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have no medical conitions. Healthy except for being over weight. I am just trying to figure out if I need to really worry about sugar intake or just count calories. Then again, I am not gonna never eat sugar again. For those of you who say everything in moderation, I agree with that. I am just looking for a kick start to weight loss. I know I can cut out soda an candy and junk foods. I am not looking to cut out fruits. I wanted to know if there is anything besides what I stated that I really should avoid. And when I know I can control my intake I plan to let myself have a few things I want. I am not looking to diet. Just set myself up for a better "eating" future. Making myself moderate the foods I eat in other words. Cuz I may be able to drop chocolate for a litttle bit, but I don't plan on Never eating it again.
  • bawlzz
    Options

Thing is, I eat a high carb, higher sugar diet and I feel fantastic-I sleep great, have lots of energy, have no health issurs/complaints, had great blood test results the last time around, including not having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range anymore. And I'm maintaining beautifully and effortlessly. And I eat as I like, which means today I had a cinnamon roll, pizza and breadsticks, peanut butter rice krispy bars (3), as well as things like a sweet potato and salad with regular ranch dressing etc. I also have a flat stomach (no bloating here, as you can see from my profile pictures), tight bum and calves and a pretty awesome strong back, shoulders and arms.

To each their own :drinker:

Yeah as i said previously, what ever works for you and whatever you personally can sustain is the best diet to be on. I am just offering the other side of the coins perspective, apparently i'm a knuckle head, dopey, and baseless idiot for ever mentioning an alternate eating lifestyle. :smokin:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have no medical conitions. Healthy except for being over weight. I am just trying to figure out if I need to really worry about sugar intake or just count calories. Then again, I am not gonna never eat sugar again. For those of you who say everything in moderation, I agree with that. I am just looking for a kick start to weight loss. I know I can cut out soda an candy and junk foods. I am not looking to cut out fruits. I wanted to know if there is anything besides what I stated that I really should avoid. And when I know I can control my intake I plan to let myself have a few things I want. I am not looking to diet. Just set myself up for a better "eating" future. Making myself moderate the foods I eat in other words. Cuz I may be able to drop chocolate for a litttle bit, but I don't plan on Never eating it again.

eliminating foods because they are "bad" is not a long term path to success…

also, you can't kick start weight loss; you either eat in a deficit and lose weight, or you do not...
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar.
  • ggxx100
    Options
    I dont eat fruit, drink milk, full sugar soda, or anything for that matter.
    Some foods can be suprising though.. so i suggest just checking labels .. everyones diet is different so you may not have many clean foods that contain sugar depending on what you eat.

Good lord I don't know how I'd survive. I eat fruit in mass quantities (because it's always fresh where I am) in addition to full fat milk and the regular coke. Never got in the way of my weight loss.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    none…

fruit sugar is not superior to other sugar…

eat in a deficit, hit macros, lose weight…

I promise it is that simple..

this assumes no medical condition that would make one sensitive to sugar.

** THIS **
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar.

unless it comes from fruit, because that is magical sugar...
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I cut out almost all processed foods. Yes, fruit is gone, too, as are all grains. I don't need high sugar foods at all.

I feel great since eliminating those things & plan to eat this way forever for the health benefits. No aches & pains, no cravings, complete control over what & how much I eat. I've also have lost a large amount of weight/fat.

Different people have different needs and we all need different things at different times in our lives. What & how much one needs to limit certain foods is an individual thing. The human body is very complex and, despite insistence from many, it is way more complicated than calories in, calories out.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I cut out almost all processed foods. Yes, fruit is gone, too, as are all grains. I don't need high sugar foods at all.

I feel great since eliminating those things & plan to eat this way forever for the health benefits. No aches & pains, no cravings, complete control over what & how much I eat. I've also have lost a large amount of weight/fat.

Different people have different needs and we all need different things at different times in our lives. What & how much one needs to limit certain foods is an individual thing. The human body is very complex and, despite insistence from many, it is way more complicated than calories in, calories out.

what do you eat, grass?

so you are saying calories in vs calories out does not matter..?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Some foods are bad for an individual. We all have a different make up and, more importantly, brain chemistry. There is nothing wrong in honoring that. Sugar messes some people up and doesn't mess other people up.

To argue whether something is good or bad makes no sense as our DNA ultimately decides for us. I stay away from sugar not because sugar is evil but because the foods prepared with it mess me up i.e. cookies, candy, chocolate, cakes, ice-cream, pies, etc. I don't consume any of those foods. It is not a sacrifice. My health suffers when I do because they are HUGE migraine triggers.

You couldn't pay me enough to eat sugary foods because only I know the level of pain they bring, the days of work I miss, and how incapacitating it becomes.

So yeah, in my case, sugar is bad. Would I insist that it is bad for you? No. You have your own genetic make up that can handle it with no problem. There are many cases in which people are sensitive to sugar.

I don't get the mob mentality that hits this place. You don't have to agree with the OP but you can respect the fact that sugar is not okay for everyone.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Some foods are bad for an individual. We all have a different make up and, more importantly, brain chemistry. There is nothing wrong in honoring that. Sugar messes some people up and doesn't mess other people up.

To argue whether something is good or bad makes no sense as our DNA ultimately decides for us. I stay away from sugar not because sugar is evil but because the foods prepared with it mess me up i.e. cookies, candy, chocolate, cakes, ice-cream, pies, etc. I don't consume any of those foods. It is not a sacrifice. My health suffers when I do because they are HUGE migraine triggers.

You couldn't pay me enough to eat sugary foods because only I know the level of pain they bring, the days of work I miss, and how incapacitating it becomes.

So yeah, in my case, sugar is bad. Would I insist that it is bad for you? No. You have your own genetic make up that can handle it with no problem. There are many cases in which people are sensitive to sugar.

I don't get the mob mentality that hits this place. You don't have to agree with the OP but you can respect the fact that sugar is not okay for everyone.

sugar is fine unless you have some kind of medical condition.
  • ggxx100
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar.

unless it comes from fruit, because that is magical sugar...

Of course, because fruit in general has magical fat-burning qualities. All clean food does, regardless of the calories.