their metabolisms.
    Those days often result in a downward "whoosh!"

Feel better soon, diva!
    Best wishes!

Great advise about the cheat day!
  • roy9wood
    roy9wood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories on your diary, I assume you are trying to lose 2 pounds per week. Depending on your current weight, that might be an overly aggressive goal. You could try changing to a 1 pound loss goal, giving you more calories, and maybe more happiness per day. This might keep you from another fall all the way off the wagon.

You are also eating a lot of replacement meals, which may not be teaching you a new, and better way of eating for your future. Try fixing some actual meals, maybe once a day.

My wife and I have been pursuing our goals for a year - at an average of 3/4 to a pound lost per week. It didn't take you a month to gain weight - it will take you awhile to lose what you wish to.
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was doing well for a few weeks and the past two days... Chinese food, Mexican food, chocolate. I don't even want to know how many calories I inhaled. Now I feel sick, tired, bloated. Should I just get back on track? How many days until I feel better physically?

You're on a role, go for 30. Seriously, what did you think people would say? The answer to your question is you will feel better when you get back on track...
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was doing well for a few weeks and the past two days... Chinese food, Mexican food, chocolate. I don't even want to know how many calories I inhaled. Now I feel sick, tired, bloated. Should I just get back on track? How many days until I feel better physically?

Past two days? No worries!! We all have those days. Just get back on track. It's what you do overall in the long run that matters. Keep at it!
  • ali4579
    ali4579 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    two days of bad choices. what to do?

Don't make it three.

Well said! We all find ourselves here sometimes, just got to pick up and move on.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    forget them.. back on track!
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Should I just get back on track?

Well..... To me this is the only viable option....
    I had a bad start of day too (about 2500 cal by noon) but I exercices, ate really light at supper and drank a lot of water. My menu is all planned for tommorow. Just start fresh RIGHT NOW! :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If I felt terrible after eating Mexican food, Chinese food, or chocolate, I'd be more worried about my mental state than anything else. I eat all kinds of foods. I only feel sick afterward if it wasn't cooked properly. Otherwise, it's all in your head.

Wow - I have to reply to this.

For decades I was told that my stomach complaints were "in my head" - in other words, that it was a "mental" thing. I finally did some testing and it turns out I have full blown Celiac, which I have now found runs in my family on my mother's side. There are at least seven of us, just in the last two generations of my mother's family - and those are only the ones I know of.

To dismiss someone complaining about not feeling good after eating certain things, is being misinformed - and a bit heartless. Just because you have an "iron stomach" does not mean others do, too. That's like saying that just because someone can do the splits, everyone else should be able to, too, something we know is definitely not true.
    You're talking about Celiacs, an incredibly rare food allergy. I'm talking about someone who claims to "feel terrible" after eating "Mexican food." There's no specification as to what was eaten, just that apparently "Mexican food" is bad and unhealthy. It's an unhealthy mindset.
  • Fishshtick
    Options
    If I felt terrible after eating Mexican food, Chinese food, or chocolate, I'd be more worried about my mental state than anything else. I eat all kinds of foods. I only feel sick afterward if it wasn't cooked properly. Otherwise, it's all in your head.

For decades I was told that my stomach complaints were "in my head" - in other words, that it was a "mental" thing. I finally did some testing and it turns out I have full blown Celiac, which I have now found runs in my family on my mother's side. There are at least seven of us, just in the last two generations of my mother's family - and those are only the ones I know of.

To dismiss someone complaining about not feeling good after eating certain things, is being misinformed - and a bit heartless. Just because you have an "iron stomach" does not mean others do, too. That's like saying that just because someone can do the splits, everyone else should be able to, too, something we know is definitely not true.
    You're talking about Celiacs, an incredibly rare food allergy. I'm talking about someone who claims to "feel terrible" after eating "Mexican food." There's no specification as to what was eaten, just that apparently "Mexican food" is bad and unhealthy. It's an unhealthy mindset.

Celiacs and other lesser digestive disorders or sensitivities are not incredibly rare. An issue with Mexican food could come from sensitivity to dairy or cummin or gluten. MSG or even just the large amount of salt in these foods can also cause some people to feel off. Don't be too quick to label people as having mental issues if some foods, or over eating make them feel sick. I for one am lactose intolerant, have gall bladder issues (which is very common among people my age, and cannot consume Splenda without severe cramping. Those things aren't in my head, they are in my gut...
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Perhaps my mental state (labeling food "good" or "bad") is a work in progress. I agree. But, I think most people come onto these boards for support. Nobody is perfect. If it were easy for me to eat moderate amounts of any food, I probably wouldn't be reaching out for support. I'd be eating when hungry, eating in moderation, and doing just fine. Thing is, I came onto MFP to try to become more accountable to myself. To start logging what I'm actually eating. And when I see the numbers in stark reality, it's a wake-up call. I did fairly well for the first 2-3 weeks of using MFP. Then I had two days where I ate all kinds of food that, in very moderate portions, wouldn't bother me. But I didn't eat moderate portions. I went overboard. I felt physically ill from making these wrong choices. It's not celiac or a gluten allergy. It's not lactose intolerance. It was too much food, with too many carbs, sugar and fat, in too short of a time frame. For me, I am learning my way still. I can see that there are obviously trigger foods for me. I'm not ready yet to eat Mexican, Chinese, cheese, sweets, in any amount of moderation. Note I say yet. I am trying to get there. I tend to have an "all or nothing" mentality, which is not realistic if this is about adopting a healthy lifestyle. But the thing is ... I am trying. I. Am. Trying. And in doing so, I reach out to others on these boards who are where I am, who have been where I have been, and who are further along than I am. Believe it or not, hearing that someone can relate to what I have done or how I am feeling is very encouraging. It makes me WANT to get back on track. Not because I have some outside applause prodding me along. Just because I don't feel as a alone in this struggle -- a struggle which can be very difficult when others around you don't understand.
    Most interesting of all, these boards are showing me that showing care and respect for others is worth emulating. And, in turn, it helps me move the needle to care and respect myself -- and the foods I put in my body.
  • tigersword
    Options

Celiacs and other lesser digestive disorders or sensitivities are not incredibly rare. An issue with Mexican food could come from sensitivity to dairy or cummin or gluten. MSG or even just the large amount of salt in these foods can also cause some people to feel off. Don't be too quick to label people as having mental issues if some foods, or over eating make them feel sick. I for one am lactose intolerant, have gall bladder issues (which is very common among people my age, and cannot consume Splenda without severe cramping. Those things aren't in my head, they are in my gut...
    Celiacs IS incredibly rare. According to all 3rd party data I've read, it affects about 6% of the global population.

As for the rest, again, you're ignoring context. I didn't see anywhere where the OP stated that EVERYTIME they ate Mexican or Chinese food they felt sick. It seems to be more along the lines of "I've been restricting all these foods out of my diet, broke, binged, and now I feel bad." Chocolate?

The OP's issue isn't some phantom disease, it's their mindset. It's something that needs to be pointed out, because it can solve these problems from continuing to happen.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm the OP. You are correct. I don't feel sick after eating ANYTHING in moderation. I literally binged on junk -- a high volume of it -- and that's what made me feel ill. The mindset is an issue, I agree. I am trying to figure out real, tactical steps to talk myself off the ledge when I get into that "oh, I'll just eat like I'm going to the bloody electric chair and call it a day" patterns. If anyone has practical advice on how to not fall into a binge pattern, please, please lay it on me.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Oh boy. Perhaps my mental state (labeling food "good" or "bad") is a work in progress. I agree. But, I think most people come onto these boards for support. Nobody is perfect. If it were easy for me to eat moderate amounts of any food, I probably wouldn't be reaching out for support. I'd be eating when hungry, eating in moderation, and doing just fine. Thing is, I came onto MFP to try to become more accountable to myself. To start logging what I'm actually eating. And when I see the numbers in stark reality, it's a wake-up call. I did fairly well for the first 2-3 weeks of using MFP. Then I had two days where I ate all kinds of food that, in very moderate portions, wouldn't bother me. But I didn't eat moderate portions. I went overboard. I felt physically ill from making these wrong choices. It's not celiac or a gluten allergy. It's not lactose intolerance. It was too much food, with too many carbs, sugar and fat, in too short of a time frame. For me, I am learning my way still. I can see that there are obviously trigger foods for me. I'm not ready yet to eat Mexican, Chinese, cheese, sweets, in any amount of moderation. Note I say yet. I am trying to get there. I tend to have an "all or nothing" mentality, which is not realistic if this is about adopting a healthy lifestyle. But the thing is ... I am trying. I. Am. Trying. And in doing so, I reach out to others on these boards who are where I am, who have been where I have been, and who are further along than I am. Believe it or not, hearing that someone can relate to what I have done or how I am feeling is very encouraging. It makes me WANT to get back on track. Not because I have some outside applause prodding me along. Just because I don't feel as a alone in this struggle -- a struggle which can be very difficult when others around you don't understand.
    Most interesting of all, these boards are showing me that showing care and respect for others is worth emulating. And, in turn, it helps me move the needle to care and respect myself -- and the foods I put in my body.
    Well said. Most people fall into the "all or nothing mentality" trap when they start this process, and it makes things more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of people even fall into that trap without realizing that it's a trap. They think it's the way it must always be, and then they give up and fail due to the unnecessary restrictions they place on themselves.

I can understand you not being ready, and taking it out temporarily, and I'm glad to see it's something you're actively working on. That's the attitude that leads to success.
  • JessicaP1234
    JessicaP1234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think I have a bad day at least once every week.. Just start again today!! No big deal!! You might not loose a whole lb this week... it won't be the end of the world.. just remember the goal and move ahead!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports and look at your net calories for the past 90 days. It will help you see "the big picture." Then look at your weight over the past year (or whatever timeframe you prefer). You did that. It was hard (really hard), but you lost weight by eating at a deficit most of the time. Not all the time. You may not be perfect, but you're good enough. You've got this.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

The obvious answer is yes you should get back on track.

People fall off all the time. That's life. What makes you a champion is to get back on the horse and keep it pushing.

When you will start feeling better physically is when you get back in the game.
  • Fishshtick
    Options

Celiacs IS incredibly rare. According to all 3rd party data I've read, it affects about 6% of the global population.

As for the rest, again, you're ignoring context. I didn't see anywhere where the OP stated that EVERYTIME they ate Mexican or Chinese food they felt sick. It seems to be more along the lines of "I've been restricting all these foods out of my diet, broke, binged, and now I feel bad." Chocolate?

The OP's issue isn't some phantom disease, it's their mindset. It's something that needs to be pointed out, because it can solve these problems from continuing to happen.

You realize of course that 6% isn't 'incredibly rare' by most normal definitions. An incidence of 6% would mean that more than 1 in 20 people would have the disorder. At that rate odds would suggest that most times you ride a bus there is someone on board with Celiacs, if your number is correct. I personally know three people with the disease. But again, I wasn't just talking Celiacs I was talking food sensitivities and allergies as a whole. As to context, you might be misjudging mine. I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about not dismissing people in general if they say some foods can make them feel sick just because you do not feel that way. It's not a mental state thing for many people and I am glad it is not an issue for the OP. If there is some excess sensitivity from folks on this issue, it's because many people who have these issues suffer for years from family, friends and especially doctors telling them it's just stress or in their head, until they finally get diagnoses by someone with experience in dietary issues.
  • tigersword
    Options

You realize of course that 6% isn't 'incredibly rare' by most normal definitions. An incidence of 6% would mean that more than 1 in 20 people would have the disorder. At that rate odds would suggest that most times you ride a bus there is someone on board with Celiacs, if your number is correct. I personally know three people with the disease. But again, I wasn't just talking Celiacs I was talking food sensitivities and allergies as a whole. As to context, you might be misjudging mine. I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about not dismissing people in general if they say some foods can make them feel sick just because you do not feel that way. It's not a mental state thing for many people and I am glad it is not an issue for the OP. If there is some excess sensitivity from folks on this issue, it's because many people who have these issues suffer for years from family, friends and especially doctors telling them it's just stress or in their head, until they finally get diagnoses by someone with experience in dietary issues.
    And like I said, you totally missed the context of my post. I was responding specifically to the OP, based on what the OP said.
  • Deaconis
    Options
    .... I can see that there are obviously trigger foods for me. I'm not ready yet to eat Mexican, Chinese, cheese, sweets, in any amount of moderation. Note I say yet. I am trying to get there. I tend to have an "all or nothing" mentality,...

I totally understand where you are coming from. That is how I am with soda. I was drinking 5-6 or more cans of cola per day at one point. I would quit. I would be just fine for days. Then I'd think "I'll just have one soda in the morning". It was like I was an alcoholic! One lead to two, then three...etc etc. I had even thought that it was a caffeine issue/addiction and tried the caffeine-free with no luck either. I have been on the wagon now for a couple months now and plan to stay on it.

I am not sharing this to discourage you, I hope that you can get to where you can enjoy those foods you like in moderate amounts, I am only sharing this with you so you know that you aren't alone with the trigger thing.