Clean eating; what is it really?

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    When I hear the term "clean" I think of minimally processed foods and items that don't have a ton of ingredients, added sugar, added garbage, added anything really.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    what does being wealthy mean?

Wealthy, and a clean eater.

66355.jpg

Hawt!!!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The problem with this question is that the question is flawed. It's like asking, what does being wealthy mean? Everyone has a different definition. Some don't equate wealth with money. Others only consider money to be the main measure. Still others, may think of wealth more as their potential; meaning, if they needed money, they could get it. But, they are content with what they have and where they are. So, that's my take on this question.

That's a good way to explain it. People don't expect that words such as wealthy, beautiful, handsome, fit, ugly shouldn't be used because it's different to everyone. What's beautiful to me is not beautiful to all.

I try to "eat clean" as a guideline to follow-whole foods with as little processing as possible, foods that satisfy and nourish me but don't tend to trigger cravings. I wouldn't tell someone else to "eat clean" because that means something different to each person. I tend to find fitting grains into my diet to be difficult for various reasons, so when I eat most grains, it's "off plan," but I certainly wouldn't consider quinoa to be a "bad" food.

I don't consider myself a clean eater because I do still buy food that offers little benefit other than taste, I do still buy convenience foods. I don't "need" to buy a vegan cookie for the fat, carbs, and calories-I get those from plenty of other sources. I buy them for the taste. I do like to try to follow the guideline as it just clicks for me, in the same way that thinking 80/20 clicks for others, or "eat in moderation" works for others.

People can become food phobic, but clean eating as a guideline is not food phobic. It's eating in moderation. It's following 80/20. I'm sure there are some who truly do eat a pretty perfectly clean diet, but my guess is that most are not that committed or don't have the means to make it realistic (finances, social interactions, whatever the case may be.) As long as others are not telling me what to do, I don't really care what they call their approach to eating.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Short simple answer: Shop the outside walls of your grocery store and cook it.

That's fantastic! The ice cream, bread and baked goods are all on the outside walls of my supermarket. Plus the frozen pizzas and frozen dinners. And bacon. And hotdogs.

So is the beer in mine. But beer built civilization so it can't be all that bad.

:grumble:

You can't sell liquor in grocery stores here, you have to go to a government run liquor store. Although, it is attached to my favorite grocery store so technically if I followed the wall I would go through the door and I could shop the wall of the liquor store too.

Is it the whiskey wall or the vodka wall? These things matter!

It is! The inner aisles are mostly wine. I'll miss that but with beer and hard liquids I think I can manage.

You guys are derailing this thread. Please stay on the original topic, which is.....

hey.. just a random question.. does anyone know if canned tuna alone is good weight loss? i do have a snack or two here n there.. and have alot of veges along with it and fruits yahh... alot ...but i survive... on just two can of tuna a day.. is that good?

:laugh:

oly17079.CharlieTunaimage.jpg

:laugh:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nothing, with the exception of low carb diets, create such controversy.

I consider myself a fairly clean eater. But, Ive been known to open a bag of chili cheese Fritos once in a while, or have a hotdog.

For each individual, it kinda has a different meaning, which is why it can't be defined.

I will say this, I eat clean compared to almost everyone I know, who eat like absolute crap, IMO. Like, they have a Pepsi in the morning for breakfast, and follow that with a jelly donut. I would not consider that a clean eater. And, that's not where it ends for them. Their whole day is kinda like that. OTOH, I will have two eggs with spinach and cheese for breakfast. I may have 2 cans if tuna, a banana and a yogurt for lunch. When comparing diets with people that don't care about what they eat and mine, I am a clean eater. When comparing my diet with many of you on this forum that track their food and watch their macros and workout, it's hard to say one persons diet is better than the others if they are getting the results they want.

The problem with this question is that the question is flawed. It's like asking, what does being wealthy mean? Everyone has a different definition. Some don't equate wealth with money. Others only consider money to be the main measure. Still others, may think of wealth more as their potential; meaning, if they needed money, they could get it. But, they are content with what they have and where they are. So, that's my take on this question.

If you ask me, I eat clean. But, that includes ice cream, occasionally some chips, sometimes even a cheeseburger and beer. And, I love pizza. Is pizza dirty or clean? It depends on your definition.

I view nutrition as an overall thing, and not what I eat in one meal, but what I ate over the past month. From a macro point of view, I am a very clean eater. But, at any given point in time, you may find me in a Mexican restaurant downing chips and salsa, cervezas, and a chimichanga. It's not against the law. And, I refuse to be labeled for my food choices. Overall, I am healthy and I am hitting all my goals. That's what is important here. Defining something that is not definable is stupid.

I have a can of diet coke first thing every morning, wonder of wonders I haven't dropped dead yet. :drinker:
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I consider myself a fairly clean eater. But, Ive been known to open a bag of chili cheese Fritos once in a while, or have a hotdog.

For each individual, it kinda has a different meaning, which is why it can't be defined.

I will say this, I eat clean compared to almost everyone I know, who eat like absolute crap, IMO. Like, they have a Pepsi in the morning for breakfast, and follow that with a jelly donut. I would not consider that a clean eater. And, that's not where it ends for them. Their whole day is kinda like that. OTOH, I will have two eggs with spinach and cheese for breakfast. I may have 2 cans if tuna, a banana and a yogurt for lunch. When comparing diets with people that don't care about what they eat and mine, I am a clean eater. When comparing my diet with many of you on this forum that track their food and watch their macros and workout, it's hard to say one persons diet is better than the others if they are getting the results they want.

If you ask me, I eat clean. But, that includes ice cream, occasionally some chips, sometimes even a cheeseburger and beer. And, I love pizza. Is pizza dirty or clean? It depends on your definition.

I view nutrition as an overall thing, and not what I eat in one meal, but what I ate over the past month. From a macro point of view, I am a very clean eater. But, at any given point in time, you may find me in a Mexican restaurant downing chips and salsa, cervezas, and a chimichanga. It's not against the law. And, I refuse to be labeled for my food choices. Overall, I am healthy and I am hitting all my goals. That's what is important here. Defining something that is not definable is stupid.

I have a can of diet coke first thing every morning, wonder of wonders I haven't dropped dead yet. :drinker:

Oh I promise you some day you will drop dead and then who will be laughing? It probably won't be from the diet coke, but I have it on good authority that those of us who don't drink diet coke are almost certainly going to live forever on account of our purity!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that 100% of humans that inhale oxygen die. We're all doomed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

One of the best ways I've seen this written!
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    it's a word i use to describe healthy eating. a lot of ppl hate that word and i think they should get over themselves because it means different things for diff people. :indifferent:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Nice post.

It is simply a different tool to achieve a calorie deficit. Much like any other tool if you understand the reasons why you are using it and how to use it then it will be beneficial. If not, you might end up hurting yourself...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that 100% of humans that inhale oxygen die. We're all doomed.

i only get my oxygen from clean, non processed sources...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Nice post.

It is simply a different tool to achieve a calorie deficit. Much like any other tool if you understand the reasons why you are using it and how to use it then it will be beneficial. If not, you might end up hurting yourself...

Eating clean isn't necessarily a way to achieve a deficit. You can get fat "eating clean", just like you can lean down eating crap!
  • camefromuranus
    Options
    It means wash everything before you eat it. Meat, deep fried stuff....etc etc
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    eating clean means instead of using knowledge of nutrition science to establish your diet, you reach out to your cohort and use tribal association to establish a dichotomous tautology that tells you which foods are tribe-approved.

it's pretty much the same as any other religious dietary restriction.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means that the 3 second rule is drastically diminished to just half a second.

On a different note, when making chicken stock, using a raw chicken carcass (instead of using a leftover roasted chicken carcass) is described as using a 'clean' carcass. It does result in a clearer broth. So maybe that's how people see clean eating. Less steps to the process of food making.
  • msf74
    Options

Eating clean isn't necessarily a way to achieve a deficit. You can get fat "eating clean", just like you can lean down eating crap!

Yes, of course.

However, many people find "clean" eating helpful however as it generally leads them towards food items which are nutrient dense but less calorie dense which also provide a lot of volume (fibrous veg for example.) As such it may make it easier for them to achieve a calorie deficit spontaneously / unconsciously (so no calorie recording) or consciously (as part of calorie counting.)

Depends on the individual's preferences really and what best prompts adherence.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Yes, of course.

However, many people find "clean" eating helpful however as it generally leads them towards food items which are nutrient dense but less calorie dense which also provide a lot of volume (fibrous veg for example.) As such it may make it easier for them to achieve a calorie deficit spontaneously / unconsciously (so no calorie recording) or consciously (as part of calorie counting.)

Depends on the individual's preferences really and what best prompts adherence.

only problem is, it doesn't work and there is no evidence to suggest it does. other than that though, good idea.

show me clean eaters and I will show you a group of people with a low likelihood of achieving and a high likelihood of preaching.
  • msf74
    Options

only problem is, it doesn't work and there is no evidence to suggest it does. other than that though, good idea.

show me clean eaters and I will show you a group of people with a low likelihood of achieving and a high likelihood of preaching.

The only evidence is anecdotal.

Clean eating, or clean eating as I know it, was the way that bodybuilder cut around 10-15 years ago. It did work but it like many things people took it too far and it lead to a number of undesirable side effects (like binging in the off season.)

IIFYM then arose as a reaction to the endless "can I eat this? Is it clean?" questions which cluttered up BB forums.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Everybody gets really uptight about this...to me it means nothing artificial...where that line begins and ends is up to you. Just do the best you can.
  • pcastagner
    Options

The only evidence is anecdotal.

Clean eating, or clean eating as I know it, was the way that bodybuilder cut around 10-15 years ago. It did work but it like many things people took it too far and it lead to a number of undesirable side effects (like binging in the off season.)

IIFYM then arose as a reaction to the endless "can I eat this? Is it clean?" questions which cluttered up BB forums.

anecdotally speaking, usually when I hear about clean eating it's from the lips of the fat guy next to me in the sauna, whom I've probably know for a year. In that time I've gone from fat to fit, and he's, well, still eating clean and handing out diet advice.

over the past year I've pulled this off while most who started at the same time failed. along the way I have sort of developed a sense of who is gonna make it and who won't. people who start down the "clean eating" path are some of the first to go. When I meet someone who is raving about their new food scale, I have met someone on their way to reaching some goals.