How much deadlift is too much deadlift?

Options
So I went to crossfit on Sunday and the strength workout was:

16 Minute EMOM(Every minute on the minute - this means you do your reps, then rest for the remainder of the minute. Deadlift generally took 15 sec for 3 reps so I got a 45 sec break.)

Odd: 3 Deadlifts (Choose a weight that’s heavy enough but can touch-n-go)
Even: 7-3 Strict Pullups (scale a rep count if you fail)

I used 315lbs for deadlifts, so I did a total of 3 x 8 = 24 reps that day. My max is around 430.

=====

Now for tomorrow's workout, it is:

- Conditioning -

“Stanely-CrossFit 626 Hero WOD”

50 Deadlifts (BW-bodyweight)
50 Incline Pushups (24/20 “)
50 Box Jumps (24/20 “)
1.6 km (1 mile) Run

My bodyweight is 115kgish.

Normally I can take breaks and finish the 50, but I've never done deadlifts(with this much volume) more than once a week before.

Bad idea?

Replies

• somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    However much you hurt yourself on would be too much. If your form is correct and you are gradually increasing this shouldn't be an issue.

ETA: If you're asking about doing too MANY deadlifts in a short amount of time, I have no idea but I wouldn't think so since you're jumping down to bodyweight deadlifts.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't do deadlifts at that type of volume, but my current 1RM is 45 pounds heavier than my body weight, so I don't see doing body weight at higher reps as a problem.

That said, Crossfit is about pushing yourself so I am pretty sure you'll be seeing a lot of volume in the compound lifts.

Edit: I currently do my working sets at 30 pounds over body weight
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variables that come into play here. I'm not a pt or professional, but when I was into the heavy lifting the rule used to be, if you went to failure, you went two to three days between "parts" with no more than two failure sets a week, for lighter and not failure, 1 to 2 days with no more than three per week

So, something along these lines - if you hit failure on lower body on Monday, you would not do lower body again until Thursday or Friday
  • AromaticTie0
    AromaticTie0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Flinging weight about like that can be a recipe for disaster. The fact that you're racing through sets because of a clock seems especially bad. Do you have a spotter? Or at least somebody who is literally watching your back? Bad form will put you in a world of hurt.

I've done that volume at that weight before. Been right where you are with max and reps. 5 sets of 6 for me @315.

And I've been through physical therapy for my back for an unrelated injury. Your back does not bounce back (ha ha) the way other parts do.

Get a spotter. Focus on form, not time. Lift what you can without losing form, and you'll be fine.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    This is completely a recipe for disaster. This is exactly why crossfit gets so much hate. The chance you are really going to F yourself up vs any small benefit of why te har you doing this is INSANE. Not in the "OMG you guys are working so hard its insane" way, the "A you Fin stupid" insane way.

FIRST. Timed or any mitigated time for deadlifts is completely stupid. This is one of the one things in the gym you never NEVER want to rush. The consequences for rushed bad form for this lift are huge. Does a skipped disk sound like fun? Does chronic pain in your lower back for the rest of your life sound hardcore? All because you get rushed and have xrappy form once is all it takes and it doesn't even have to be at a high weight. Even when you are not timed everyone has an inclination to slip to bad form as their CNS is maxed out, doing this lift at a time interval is just irresponsible at best.

Now, hitting it again the very next day? What the hell are you smoking. The lower back takes a good deal longer to recover than most anything in your body. During this lift you are basically using your spine for leverage while curling up, if you hit something like this again when you are fatigued its basically the perfect disaster for torquing you lower back pretty bad. Almost everyone's form begins to degrade as they fatigue unless you really are an elite few.

The risk to benefit of this setup is insanely lopsided and not in your favor. Cancel your membership to that crap because if they are screwing up the most obvious things like this who knows what other crap they are doing that is not so obvious. If you are deadest in crossfit than find another "box"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad choice to me.

If you do it, report back.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is completely a recipe for disaster. This is exactly why crossfit gets so much hate. The chance you are really going to F yourself up vs any small benefit of why te har you doing this is INSANE. Not in the "OMG you guys are working so hard its insane" way, the "A you Fin stupid" insane way.

FIRST. Timed or any mitigated time for deadlifts is completely stupid. This is one of the one things in the gym you never NEVER want to rush. The consequences for rushed bad form for this lift are huge. Does a skipped disk sound like fun? Does chronic pain in your lower back for the rest of your life sound hardcore? All because you get rushed and have xrappy form once is all it takes and it doesn't even have to be at a high weight. Even when you are not timed everyone has an inclination to slip to bad form as their CNS is maxed out, doing this lift at a time interval is just irresponsible at best.

Now, hitting it again the very next day? What the hell are you smoking. The lower back takes a good deal longer to recover than most anything in your body. During this lift you are basically using your spine for leverage while curling up, if you hit something like this again when you are fatigued its basically the perfect disaster for torquing you lower back pretty bad. Almost everyone's form begins to degrade as they fatigue unless you really are an elite few.

The risk to benefit of this setup is insanely lopsided and not in your favor. Cancel your membership to that crap because if they are screwing up the most obvious things like this who knows what other crap they are doing that is not so obvious. If you are deadest in crossfit than find another "box"

This is good information. I should have been a little more specific in my reply earlier. I said that I didn't see it as a problem but I wasn't thinking of it in terms of being timed and all of that. I was just thinking of the weight and number of reps
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

^^^QFT!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

16 Minute EMOM(Every minute on the minute - this means you do your reps, then rest for the remainder of the minute. Deadlift generally took 15 sec for 3 reps so I got a 45 sec break.)

I used 315lbs for deadlifts, so I did a total of 3 x 8 = 24 reps that day. My max is around 430.

=====

- Conditioning -

50 Box Jumps (24/20 “)
    1.6 km (1 mile) Run

Normally I can take breaks and finish the 50, but I've never done deadlifts(with this much volume) more than once a week before.

Bad idea?

When I read bodyweight I understand doing just the motion without an added weight. If this is lifting the equivalent of your bodyweight on the bar, that is the different story. That would be way too much deadlifts in two days.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't understand Crossfit. You're basically doing interval deadlifts at 75% of your 1RM, and then the next day, you're trying to see how quickly you can complete 50 deadlifts at bodyweight? Why? What is the overarching purpose? Does any Crossfitter ever ask those questions?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

=====

- Conditioning -

50 Box Jumps (24/20 “)
    1.6 km (1 mile) Run

Bad idea?

When I read bodyweight I understand doing just the motion without an added weight. If this is lifting the equivalent of your bodyweight on the bar, that is the different story. That would be way too much deadlifts in two days.

^^this is how I read it too. But regardless, the whole thing makes no sense. There is no goal in cross fit except to do the exercises, so I suppose that's why there is no rhyme or reason as to what is Rxed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I see little point in repping out a bunch of deadlifts...the most I would ever consider would be 3x8s...but really the 3x5 or 5x5 rep range is optimal for what the dead-lift is intended to accomplish. Doing a million dead-lifts seems silly...there are more effective ways of training those muscles for muscular endurance. Doing dead-lifts on back to back days seems even more asinine...I don't dead-lift more than twice per week...and even then, I alternate between once per week and then twice per week...then once per week, then twice per week.

This is one of the numerous qualms I have with Crossfit...which on the surface seems like it could be really awesome...but then they go out and do stupid ****.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Yeah man, I agree. I mean, I like CrossFit actually, but when you're doing heavy, techical lifts for reps within time, that's just rediculous.

Man most people have to reset so they maintain form, and you're repping like crazy to get in under time. No doubt you can do it, and props man 3 plates is a goal for me still, but you have GOT to use your head even if CrossFit allows for it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN covered it pretty well. It's like some teenager making a "hard core" music mix, but with exercises.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone pretty much covered it it seems... but I would add

If you are currently progressively training for lifting- stay away from the crossfit stuff- it's not training- it's just exercise. It doesn't have long term goals in mind- so you are going to not get anywhere if you are training strength to get further- it's just not going to happen- you are going to slide backwards.

Also that much weight- all the time is a recipe for issues.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    50 DLs of 225+? OUT. Especially just a few days after DL 315 for multiple reps and sets.

I'm not opposed to doing some balls out crazy exercise routines but I'd be more inclined to do them if 1) they mesh well with the rest of my routine, meaning that the muscles worked get a break and i get enough overall rest for my CNS and 2) it's not two scoops of balls out crazy topped with extreme fudge and insane sprinkles. If 50 DL @225 was the workout, not my bag but sure, why not? But add it to the rest of that day's challenge and add it to the what you did Sunday and what you'll probably do Thusday and I'm OUT
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    However much you hurt yourself on would be too much.

but it's crossfit, so i think the saying is

"however much you hurt yourself on would be the right amount"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    However much you hurt yourself on would be too much.

but it's crossfit, so i think the saying is

"however much you hurt yourself on would be the right amount"
    oh and if you get hurt, it's your fault.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What the #-%($&?!?!

Why would you do this? What's the point? Is it just cool, or something? Faster is better? More is better? More and faster is best?

This is only a good idea if your goal is to look awesome to the bignorant bros at the gym (and an idiot to the people who know what they're doing).

(Bignorant was a typo, but I kinda like it so I'll leave it.)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

Didn't expect this many responses lol.

I ended up doing it - my body weight is 255 pounds so I did 255 pound deadlift.

I was planning on just stopping if it was too much or my form started breaking from exhaustion.

I broke it up into sets of 10 x 5 x run(x4).

10 x 255lbs deadlift, 10 x 24 inch box jumps, 10 incline pushups, 400m run.

I didn't look at the clock and focused on proper form and went at my own pace and finished it at 21:06.

I did the first 10 255lbs unbroken, but after the second set onwards I had to break it down into 2, 3 reps to complete the 10(and constantly switched grips). Form didn't really suffer since I did 1 rep x 10 for the last 10 reps.

Never done this much volume in a short period of time with deadlifts so was a bit worried. I've never done deadlift more than once a week before in my life.

I feel it more on my gluts and hamstring since I drive up with my hip thrust(just like a kettlebell swing).

Would I do it again? probably not.

Did I survive? Yes

:D