Healthy Spaghetti?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Julienne zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, and even squash if you wish.

My husband doesn't like too much replacement either, so I keep them separate. One bowl of regular spaghetti, one bowl of julienned veggies, and keep the sauce separate.

Then when its dinner time mix together your spaghetti, veggies, and sauce, and everyone else can do this the same.

If I do shells I grate the veggies in the food processor instead of julienned to look like spaghetti.

In general just keeping components separate is the easiest way to make everyone happy. More veggies for you, less for other people.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The wheat noodles taste like cardboard.

On spaghetti night, we use this stuff: http://www.muellerspasta.com/products/family/hidden-veggie , with a low-sugar sauce from Ragu ( http://www.glucoholic.com/2009/04/27/ragu-light-no-sugar-added-tomato-basil-sauce/ ) and add turkey meatballs ( http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Prepared-Meals/Armour-Turkey-Meatballs--oz/71505 ).

One serving size of pasta, with 1/2 cup of sauce and 8 meatballs counts as one serving. Adda s side of veggie, like squash, zucchini, or broccoli, and you can walk away from the dinner table quite satisfied without feeling you "ate healthy".
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    To me there is no alternative to pasta. I just try not to eat it more than once a week but otherwise i just count it just like any other meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My picky eater husband has requested spaghetti for dinner tonight. I know I can buy whole wheat noodles, but any other tips on making this meal healthy?
    Thanks!!

I'm trying to figure out how it's possible for spaghetti dinner to be unhealthy...

arsenic in the marinara maybe?
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I put my post up earlier without having read the previous responses. People feel very strongly about this! I personally like my alternative, but I put a lot of sauce, cheese, and/or meatballs.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    SPAGHETTI ! Is one of my favorite meals, I have lightened my version up from ground beef to ground turkey and use canned tomatoes and tomato paste and spices / herbs tons of fresh garlic, and onion, bell pepper, and one cup of whole wheat pasta .or spaghetti squash(I heard it was wonderful but never tried it yet)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If your husband requested spaghetti I seriously doubt he'll be happy with spaghetti squash as a substitute. I like squash, but it's not spaghetti. Just weigh out your portion, fit it into your calories, and enjoy.

QFT.... My boyfriend would look at me like I grew another head if I served him spaghetti squash instead of real spaghetti.

I actually *did* serve it once. My husband and two teens tried it, because they were hungry, but didn't eat more than a bite or two. I ate some, just because, but I threw away most of it. Squash is ok, and can even be tasty when cooked correctly, but marinara does not go well with squash.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If your husband requested spaghetti I seriously doubt he'll be happy with spaghetti squash as a substitute. I like squash, but it's not spaghetti. Just weigh out your portion, fit it into your calories, and enjoy.

QFT.... My boyfriend would look at me like I grew another head if I served him spaghetti squash instead of real spaghetti.

I actually *did* serve it once. My husband and two teens tried it, because they were hungry, but didn't eat more than a bite or two. I ate some, just because, but I threw away most of it. Squash is ok, and can even be tasty when cooked correctly, but marinara does not go well with squash.

AGREED! I love my squash sauteed on its own. Not as a sub for other things :laugh:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles! (Spiralised zucchini)

I'm not sure how you make bolognese unhealthy. Mine is just meat (that I grind myself), vegies, herbs and spices...I either use no fat to cook, or a little coconut oil or ghee.

That's what I use...ZOODLES! I make mine on a mandoline and then saute them with onions and garlic. Instead of sauce I top them with diced up tomatoes and sometimes a chopped up turkey/veggie burger (usually turkey/spinach). Oh yes...then a little cheese.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What is it with people? When people me to make something specific for supper I don't say yes and sabotage them. He asked for spaghetti, either say no or make some GD spaghetti LOL!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

THIS!!! OHHHH THIS!!!!

My husband would feel cheated out of a meal he enjoys. That's not how it works at my house.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    wait...
    I'm operating under the assumption that the OP loves her husband.
    If you love him, make him happy. Not a huge sacrifice to just eat less of spaghetti the way he likes it.
    If not, make something that will make you happy and that he will probably make a big face over.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What is it with people? When people me to make something specific for supper I don't say yes and sabotage them. He asked for spaghetti, either say no or make some GD spaghetti LOL!

I think that she was just trying to find some suggestions on being able to satisfy both their needs.

I learned how to cook...the southern style...not always low in calorie nor not always healthy. When I made a change...I had to learn to cook all over. I struggled for the first month or two learning how to cook my traditional recipes that fit in with my new way of eating. I did a lot of research...trying new recipes...new foods. I am comfortable with it now but I wasn't for a long time.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat noodles, and make your own sauce. Use low sodium ingredients and pack it with extra veggies and if you like meat sauce use lean ground turkey instead of beef or pork. If you want sausage instead most grocery store counters or your butcher make chicken italian sausage. And watch how much cheese you pile on top. A tablespoon will usually satisfy my cheese craving just as well as if I heaped it on.

If you really want to go the vegetarian route you can make Zoodles (zucchini noodles). :) Happy cooking.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I think that she was just trying to find some suggestions on being able to satisfy both their needs.

I learned how to cook...the southern style...not always low in calorie nor not always healthy. When I made a change...I had to learn to cook all over. I struggled for the first month or two learning how to cook my traditional recipes that fit in with my new way of eating. I did a lot of research...trying new recipes...new foods. I am comfortable with it now but I wasn't for a long time.

You may be right but when a guy asks you to make something specific, it's usually because he loves the way you make that dish. If you switch the recipe, you're practically saying "this is how the guy I'm cheating on you with likes spaghetti" ;)