Anything I can do to speed this process up?

Options
Okay okaayyyy I know, I need to be patient. But while I'm working on THAT skill, how can I magic this fat away faster?

It's my first week of getting serious. Like, seriously serious. I've been tracking 1500 calories a day in my journal and despite a big occasion, my organisation's Christmas party, I lost 4.5lbs. I also lost 1/2 inch off my waist and 1/2 inch off my hips.

Workout wise, I see a trainer who has given me a tough weights workout (actually, a couple that I rotate). Plyometrics done in intervals (plyometric squats, lunges and jumping off boxes and stuff - 15 seconds jumping, 15 seconds rest, x 3), lifting heavy weights (squatting 100lbs currently and bench pressing, um, 65lbs). On non weight days I run sprints for 15 seconds and jog for 25, repeat x 8. I'm also working on some choreography, which gives me 1/2 hour of cardio 2 or 3 times, and I'm generally being more active with walking and taking the stairs.

I really, really want to get my hip measurement down. it's currently 46.5 and my waist is 35.5. It just seems to be so much work for such little gain!

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You don't want to go fast, that increases the chance of muscle loss which therefore increases the odds of the dreaded skinny fat. In regards to deficit. Resistance training is a great way to reduce BF %. I've been at it for 6 months, so I understand feeling impatient but looking back a year from now, you'll be glad you started when you did. Just keep pushing forward!
  • caity165
    Options
    Hmm - I do understand that fast isn't always good, but in the beginning it would be nice to see some good progress especially where measurements are concerned to keep me motivated while good habits begin to form and become second nature...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I do understand that fast isn't always good, but in the beginning it would be nice to see some good progress especially where measurements are concerned to keep me motivated while good habits begin to form and become second nature...

Then congratulations, as you've achieved those initial objectives. Now settle in and be consistent, and you'll see long term results.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    how can I magic this fat away faster?

David Copperfield, David Blaine, Houdini, Penn & Teller and Harry Potter combined could not magic away the fat, and neither can you.

In all seriousness, you're only a week in and have already seen a great loss. Granted, that's mostly water/glycogen, but now is the time to keep being consistent and keep logging as accurately as possible. It will take time, but the weight will come off. Though, to be honest, you cant pick where you're going to lose the weight. It come off wherever it will.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Mirror what everyone else says...but you'll see changes sooner than you think if your consistent.
  • Nate0047
    Nate0047 Posts: 105
    Options

David Copperfield, David Blaine, Houdini, Penn & Teller and Harry Potter combined could not magic away the fat, and neither can you.

Where's the 'like' button?

I think we've all wanted to magic away the fat at one point, but none of us have. That's why we're on MFP. It's certainly the closest I've ever come to magicking away the fat.
  • caity165
    Options
    I know I'm not going to magic any fat away. But I'm wondering if perhaps certain things can help me along. For instance, more steady-state cardio? Less reps of heavier weights or lighter weights done in a more interval-style way? Go easy on carbs? Eat more fat and protein? Calorie cycle? And so on....there might be tools that I'm missing, things that others have found useful along with lower calories and more exercise.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    But I'm wondering if perhaps certain things can help me along.
    For instance, more steady-state cardio?

No.
    Less reps of heavier weights or lighter weights done in a more interval-style way?

Hell no.
    Go easy on carbs? Eat more fat and protein?

Eh, if you want.

In your OP, you stated that this was your first week of getting serious. And that you've lost 4.5 lbs. You don't want to go any faster than this, trust me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You've been at for a week and already want to speed things up?

You're doomed.
  • caity165
    Options

You're doomed.

Wow, thanks for the positivity. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for myself, that's all. My asthma has gotten worse which is part of what got me serious. I know it's the extra weight - I'm 10lbs heavier than the last time I can remember my asthma symptoms didn't bother me. So excuse me for wanting to get as much off as soon as possible. And actually, some people, my doctor included, are starting to believe from studies that losing weight faster in the beginning can actually be a good thing.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/188045.php
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

You're doomed.

Wow, thanks for the positivity. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for myself, that's all. My asthma has gotten worse which is part of what got me serious. I know it's the extra weight - I'm 10lbs heavier than the last time I can remember my asthma symptoms didn't bother me. So excuse me for wanting to get as much off as soon as possible. And actually, some people, my doctor included, are starting to believe from studies that losing weight faster in the beginning can actually be a good thing.

If you're dangerously obese. I don't get that impression from you, OP. You just seem impatient. If you want to race there, do it. But you might not like the results or the way you have to approach it to get there. We're trying to give you the best way you can but you have to follow through.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You're doomed.

Wow, thanks for the positivity.

Telling you unrealistic fibs because that's what you want to hear is not "positivity" and won't do anything good for you. This process is going to take a long time, and there is no way to get around that. Anybody telling you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Good luck!
  • caity165
    Options

You're doomed.

Wow, thanks for the positivity.

Telling you unrealistic fibs because that's what you want to hear is not "positivity" and won't do anything good for you. This process is going to take a long time, and there is no way to get around that. Anybody telling you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Good luck!

I was referring to the 'you're doomed' comment. I come here for support, not to be told I'm 'doomed'.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    it seems like your going pretty fast too me.

I can completely understand wanting to speed things up... one might think that it betrays a desire to return to your old habits tho.

Accept that it never ends, you will forever be responsible for your health and apperance, and will always have to take steps to perserve them.

When you really accept that, it might not feel like your in such a rush.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    While I do think that intention is difficult to convey in text, many of us who have been here a while, have seen many, many impatient people hop on here looking for magic, feel discouraged about the slowness of the process and just quit. No one wants to see that happen.

Just plan your calories, get plenty of fruit and veggie and protein, exercise moderately and get on with your life.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The thing to keep in mind is that you didn't gain that weight overnight, so it's not going to come off overnight either.

Of course, by "overnight" I don't mean that literally. But you get the idea.

Unfortunately the only road to success is the long haul. There's no quick way to this.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Patience my child. You will be just fine .. and you will be thankful in the end that you did it in a sensible fashion.

First .... it is a LOT of work. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Second .. it will take time. Probably lots of time. There are no shortcuts, no good shortcuts anyways. Stay away from the fads, low carb crap etc. Eat as needed at a reasonable calorie deficit .. and just do it, over and over and over again. You will make progress this way. If anyone tries to sell you something to do it faster ... resist as being skinny fat is not a pretty thing, you don't want to go there.

I don't know your stats, but it is all about being consistent with what you do and having patience .. lots and lots of patience. You probably didn't gain the weight overnight .. so it will take time to come off. If losing fat was an easy thing .. there would be a pill that we would all be taking and we would all be a normal weight. Well guess what . . that doesn't exist, so it means that hard work is the only answer.

In my own case .. i lost 4 inches from my waist in my first month .. then nothing for 2.5 months, and finally just today another inch. So .. what did it teach me, patience and the fact that I need to be consistent and work hard cause I will get there eventually.

You will get there too .. just do the work, log your calories accurately (get a food scale if you don't already have one) .. and USE IT. You are doing great on the exercise .. but just don't get discouraged when the loss of those inches plateaus .. cause it will most likely happen. Inches are a way way way better way to determine success .. so don't worry about the scale, just concentrate on doing the plan (both in the kitchen and at the gym).

You are doing fine .... just work, repeat and repeat again. It is not a fast process.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Well I see that the OP doesn't have much willpower .. as she deactivated her account already after a week. She needs to be a lot stronger than that .. to make it in this thing we call fat loss.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling like this after one week, how will you handle a plateau? If you want to be on death door and do crazy things just to lose it fast by all means go ahead and do it. You will only have yourself to blame in the end. This a marathon not a sprint so relax and enjoy the journey.