What time do YOU stop eating for the day?

Options
I always hear people saying that they stop eating at 5 or 6 or others saying they don't have a time.

I was thinking about giving myself a time to stop eating full meals, junk food, ect. Say at 6 I won't eat anymore meals but I'll eat an apple or orange for a snack. Maybe a yogurt.

Right now I have no stopping point and as long as I'm awake, I'm stuffing my face.

But it's only 5 and I went way over my calories.
But at least I know WHY I gain weight.. because every single day I go over my 1500 calorie-limit. It's not really how much I'm eating but it's what I'm eating.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    after my dinner, supper, whatever you want to call it,, no snacking.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm done. Your body doesn't care what time you eat.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat after tea which is between 6-7 but there are always those times when I feel hungry. In those cases I eat some almonds :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Stop eating about 8 pm, and start eating again the next day around 1pm.
  • GohanJKA
    Options
    Why don't you try to do something else to occupy your time with besides eating? The real problem is that you have no control.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    But at least I know WHY I gain weight.. because every single day I go over my 1500 calorie-limit. It's not really how much I'm eating but it's what I'm eating.

If this is in regards to losing weight....
    Then stopping eating at 5 pm doesn't matter, if you already went over the amount of calories your body needs daily......

You can eat right up til your body hits the bed, and lose weight, if you are below caloric needs.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don`t want to appear rude, but is there a question?

It seems like you know you are over eating, you are confused about when you should stop eating?

Are you keeping your diary. There are no `special` times to eat/not eat.

eta typos
  • fitchocolatechip
    Options
    I usually have 5 meals throughout the day:) Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack or Breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, snack :) My last meal (snack) is usually around 8 pm and it is usually a big one (250-350 calories) because that's usually how many calories I have left to meet my goal:)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    10pm+
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care what time you eat.

Mine does. If I eat too late, I have incredibly bizarre dreams (for example, I keep running in to Han Solo in a shopping mall). This would be kind of cool except I wake up feeling like I haven't slept.

So, 7 PM.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Cheese apparently can be an issue. I did have a large lump of cheese once and dreamt we were invaded by aliens. I managed to escape on one of their space ships but pressed the wrong button and ejected myself into space.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, 10-11pm. On weekends where Im more nocturnal, it can be as late as 2 in the morning and yes I do eat carbs then too. I dont think when you eat is relevant to weight loss tbh.
  • Jeff_Eff
    Options
    I usually eat right up until half an hour before I go to bed. What am I eating that late, you ask? Ben & Jerry's ice cream. True story.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Right before I go to bed. Sometimes I get up and eat one more little snack.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Cheese apparently can be an issue. I did have a large lump of cheese once and dreamt we were invaded by aliens. I managed to escape on one of their space ships but pressed the wrong button and ejected myself into space.

On an alternate note bananas are supposed to have calming qualities...I ate one before I went to bed one night and dreamt about planes crashing...the good thing was I was still running around the airport trying to find where to board....so maybe that was the calming effect from the banana?
  • MityMax96
    Options

So you still died?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat up until right before I go to bed… I'm supposed to stop eating 3 hours before bed because of my severe acid reflux but I simply can't do that because a) I'm hungry and b) I have reactive hypoglycemia.

I got into a really bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night and going downstairs to the kitchen to get a snack. But I knew I had to stop doing that because it causes cavities and weight gain. I haven't woken up in the middle of the night to eat for over a week!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i usually stop when my calorie allowance for the day is met or it's bed time...whichever comes first. usually right about the same time, so that's convenient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I always hear people saying that they stop eating at 5 or 6 or others saying they don't have a time.

I was thinking about giving myself a time to stop eating full meals, junk food, ect. Say at 6 I won't eat anymore meals but I'll eat an apple or orange for a snack. Maybe a yogurt.

Right now I have no stopping point and as long as I'm awake, I'm stuffing my face.

I eat dinner usually around 8:30/9:00 PM. Meal timing is irrelevant. If you like to eat in the evening save your calories for the evening, it's that simple.

I don't even know how people can stop eating at 5 or 6...they must not work...I'm not even home from work on most nights until 6:30 earliest.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You have to monitor what is good for your body.

If i eat too close to bedtime, my body retains the water until next day e.g . I eat at 8 and go to sleep at an hour or 2 later, i might wake up 0.5-1lb more than the previous day but if i sleep 3-3.5hrs later, my body doesn't retain anything. That is just how MY body works.

Some people spread out their daily calories e.g. you have 1500kcal. For breakfast, some will have 400, lunch 500 and dinner 300, save 300 for after dinner snack. You can adjust the figures to your liking if you feel like you tend to snack alot at night. Make sure your calorie counting is accurate because if you are hitting close to your calorie figures without accurate measuring, you could be going over your calories easily, even more than you thought.

You need to be able to discipline yourself not to do that every night though, this is just my personal opinion. Evening snacking became a common thing only a couple of years ago where i would have ice cream, cake, chocolate etc without even thinking there might be consequences. Planning my meals a day or 2 ahead has really helped in disciplining myself without feeling deprived.

I personally like to stop eating before 8pm for the reasons i mentioned before but some people have said they can eat within 10mins of bedtime, makes no difference to them. So its a good idea to learn how your body works and then go from there