Running from glutes or quads

Options
Hi all,

Sort of newish here. I apologize if this question has been covered - I looked through the forum and I don't see it so here is it:

I overheard some folks talking at the gym. They were talking about running and how regular runners, who might run several miles a week, run using primarily their glutes, whereas your average weekend warrior runs with their quads, and this is part of the reason why so many of these people get running injuries.

Is anyone here a runner? Is there any truth to this, and if so, how can you determine whether you are running using the glutes as compared to the quads?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good question. i wonder if it's more about form ?

i'd be interested to hear some official response, all i know is that when i run i primarily feel it in my hams and glutes but that might also be because i was trained as a sprinter and was taught to make sure most of the energy from my pushoffs came from the posterior chain since that results in a more powerful stride and quicker pace.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    there are lots of runners here- myself included logging up to 60 miles a week. I have never heard this so i'm interested for others' responses
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, trying to visualize this anatomically. My guess would be that this has something to do with whether you are using a heel strike and pushing through (would use more quad) vs. a midfoot/toe strike (uses more calf for the push off and glute for the leg rotation). If this is what they are talking about I would say that yes, the heel strike does tend to lead to higher risk of injury (speaking from personal experience on that one) because you are usually also getting a much more jarring impact when you come down on the heel.

NOT on expert, but I have enough functional morphology to at least *sound* like I know what I'm talking about :glasses:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    i was curious, googled and found this
    http://powerofrun.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/work-that-booty-activate-your-glutes-for-strong-running-form/
    The glutes can generate a lot of force to extend your hips. Instead of reaching out in front of the body, use the stronger muscles on your back side to propel yourself forward. Run from the glutes, not from the quads. Many of us are quad-dominant and allow our quads to take over when our glutes should be doing the work.
    not sure what that means but sounds like running from glutes you are more plyometrically launching yourself forward rather than hopping up and down?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think I used to run from my quads, until I was coached to run more 'forward' and focus on a mid-foot strike. When I start getting tired, I have to really focus on my form, because it doesn't come naturally to me. I was told that the more power you can get from your calves, the better, as they are the most efficient muscle group, using the least amount of oxygen.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    http://powerofrun.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/work-that-booty-activate-your-glutes-for-strong-running-form/
    The glutes can generate a lot of force to extend your hips. Instead of reaching out in front of the body, use the stronger muscles on your back side to propel yourself forward. Run from the glutes, not from the quads. Many of us are quad-dominant and allow our quads to take over when our glutes should be doing the work.
    not sure what that means but sounds like running from glutes you are more plyometrically launching yourself forward rather than hopping up and down?

Hmm. When I purposely lengthen my stride during speed work, I use my bootie to do it. So I guess I'm doing it right! :drinker:
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Hmm. When I purposely lengthen my stride during speed work, I use my bootie to do it. So I guess I'm doing it right! :drinker:

I feel like when I am running quicker I am using my gluteus but when I am just plodding along or getting tired I don't feel the effort in my glutes I feel it I'm my hammies and sometimes inner thigh
  • MathanMor
    MathanMor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im still lost
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    From what I've read a lot of people have lazy inactive/underactive glutes, so this makes sense to me.

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I don't have time to find it

http://bretcontreras.com/
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Im still lost

Think of it as pulling your legs through the stride instead on pushing your legs through the stride.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I believe some run using one group of those muscles more than others.

But to define who uses which muscle by weekend runners versus those who run all week long is ridiculous and has nothing to do with it.
  • MidnightDave
    MidnightDave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This definitely applies to cycling, (most people push down on the pedals and you want to pull all the way around the rotation), and never heard it applied to running before. Thanks for sharing and wishing you the best on your fitness journey and happy Holidays!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I think I run from my quads. Will pay more attention to it on my run tonight. But I know my glutes get frequent workouts, too. Every time I do CPR (real world, or like tonight where I am teaching a class) My "CPR Muscle" gets a GREAT burn. I feel it in my glutes and hip flexors for a couple days. (and unfortunately, I do CPR quite frequently in my job...on a near-daily basis.)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    :blushing: I'm a runner and I have no idea if I run from my glutes or my quads.

I just run.

(the only time I will consciously run from my glutes is if I have to pooh and I don't want to hop off the TM to do it:blushing: )
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

But to define who uses which muscle by weekend runners versus those who run all week long is ridiculous and has nothing to do with it.

i think the point is that quad runners tend to get more injuries than glute runners

if that's the case, then yeah, weekend runner is probably going to be a good approximation of a quad runner because they aren't doing enough running (yet) to realize their form is off.

running is a bit like weight lifting in that someone can get away with bad form if they are low intensity/low volume. but once you increase speed/volume/weight then that's when bad form is going to be more noticeable and more harmful
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    in for answers. I have no idea what i primarily use, i kinda just run. i'm still a newbie runner, only been at it for a few months.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

+1

Keeping your feet closer to the ground as you stride increases efficiency. You use your quads to lift and reach out. The higher you lift and the further you reach the less efficient you are because you are using a motion that does not move you forward. If you look at efficient running as almost a shuffle, you will have some idea of the major muscle groups involved in pushing your forward: calves and buttocks. A shorter stride also means having your foot strike almost directly beneath you, which softens the impact on your heel. Persistent heel striking can (but need not) lead to shin splints. The advantage for tall runners is that this motion covers more ground per stride than for us short runners.

The downside to this gait is increased attention to stumbling dangers. Running upright, or slightly forward and keeping eyes at the horizon increases this stumbling danger. Running in the woods can get downright dangerous if you run this way!

My personal advice: just run!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see so many people posting about this. Honestly, I had no idea about this topic and had never even thought about it before I overheard this comment being made. It's very interesting!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It's pretty accepted that women in general, due to anatomy, are more quad dominant.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 15+ years and I've never heard of this. Searched Runnersworld.com for both terms and got nothing. Not sure what the overheard conversation was really about.