Crowded gyms in a few days

Options

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    My gym gets crazy around the first, too, but I'm lucky because the staff cater to us regulars. We're patient with the resolutioners, and even help them out. In turn, the staff treat us well, and try their hardest to accommodate us wherever they can. My gym rocks. :-)

Smug and self righteous. smdh

No wait, that's not it. Awesome and the way it should be...that's what I meant to say. Good on ya!
    39146-Simon-Pegg-laugh-YEAH-thumbs-u-F7Wu.gif
  • kanens
    kanens Posts: 12
    Options
    I go to a gym on a military base. We do have "Resolution" people but very few, since most of the people on base have mandatory fitness programs anyway. There are some; spouses, civilian workers (like me) or dependants who can also use the gym, whoo will start at the New Year.

This is exactly my situation. I normally go at 6pm. Most of the young military members have cleared out by then. Only the older military and civilians (like myself) left then.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OP, how many times did you start working out and fall off? I bet you didn't start gung ho only once. I sure didn't. I just hope for each of them that this time is the time it sticks and they get healthier and happier (because that usually goes together). And I'll just keep me off hours gym schedule to avoid the crush (I flex hours at work so I get to the pool/gym after 7).
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For people who have never joined a gym before or stuck to it, the gym is an incredibly intimidating place. Regulars who already know how to use the equipment and already know their way around make it harder for them. Getting irritated and hating them doesn't help anything. Sure my gym fills up but it's fine and I hope some of them stick around. When I joined my first gym two years ago I did it in December and I was lucky that a regular stopped to talk to me and showed me some of the equipment I was too afraid to use. I've since switched gyms but I still go 4-5 days a week and now I take the time to talk to people who are obviously new and terrified. We all started our first day once upon a time.

I too live in Nebraska and the temp this morning was -2 when I left for work. The windchill makes it like -17. There's no running outside :-) If I'm in a hurry, my gym is 24 hours and going later at night is kind of nice.

If things get a little crazy at my gym and my favorite equipment is tied up, I use it as an opportunity to try something new. It's fine. Most of the more intimidating equipment gets ignored by new people anyway. It's just the cardio that gets backed up.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's a brave step to go to the gym when you aren't in shape. Doesn't help if the regulars aren't particularly welcoming either or treat them like they dont belong. You pay your money, you got every bit as much right to be there as anyone else. I stopped going to the gym this year as my home gym is complete but newbies are like learner drivers and a little consideration goes a long way with helping their confidence.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    At least they're starting, trying to change themselves.

This. Making changes to one's lifestyle can be difficult. Not to mention that they pay their gym fees as well.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Every new year, the gyms fill up with people who make resolutions. They eventually get back to normal around March. But it REALLY ticks me off -- which sounds awful. But I feel like I go so regularly all year, every year, and then suddenly I have to wait in line to get on a treadmill. And the treadmill time is limited to 20 minutes. Anyone else find they have to wait in a friggin line to get on equipment at the gym? Crazy! They even have employees who come around and turn your machine off at exactly 20 minutes!

I have been annoyed by it but I remember that I was new to a gym, a spin class, a race once too and I might have taken someone's favorite spot without meaning too. When I feel frustrated I try to find it in my heart to have a positive thought and hope that each and every person there finds a groove and that we all find a way to find a new normal with new people there.

Just to relate to this idea I have also been super duper annoyed at the biggest loser competitions in the same vain. I have been running marathons and at staying at maintenance for a few years now through OCD type consistency and I have logged in here for 1195 days now. I work very diligently to do this well. It is always the same people who lose weight for a contest, let it slip and then "work so hard" for the next competition that win these contests and get some awesome gift card to a running store, and a clothing store. UMMMMM If we are going to reward dedication then I would like a gift card to a clothing store too so I can finally get those $100 jeans I just won't buy myself.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    they pay the money, they have the same rights to use the stuff as everyone else paying the money. Regular users should not become judge and jury on what people can and can't do with regards to gym access, especially as we all started somewhere, regardless of the trigger. Many many people start in the spring to get ready for hols, start months before a wedding, a trip, college etc.... should they all be banned too as many will not stay the course, though some will from every group.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    My aren't you supportive. No wonder people are scared and feel awkward going to a gym, trying to change their lifestyle.
    Funny how they all have to do it at the same time of the year. Oh well the "I'm going to get in shape this time around" rush is usually over pretty fast.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Davpaul... Wow, that is the meanest, most self serving reply I've ever read. I have just as much right to be on mfp whether I started3 days or 3 years ago. If u have do little time in your very important life to wade thru meaningless posts that bother u, then how did u find time to reply? Very unsupportive of u. If u don't care for a post, don't respond. Merry Xmas. Happy happy joy joy.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Davpaul... Wow, that is the meanest, most self serving reply I've ever read. I have just as much right to be on mfp whether I started3 days or 3 years ago. If u have do little time in your very important life to wade thru meaningless posts that bother u, then how did u find time to reply? Very unsupportive of u. If u don't care for a post, don't respond. Merry Xmas. Happy happy joy joy.

You might want to get your sarcasm meter fixed
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

It just went right over your head, didn't it?
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is not enough. my old gym gave 30 minutes - old gym. And it is too darn cold to run outside, plus dark by the time I get home and as a female I am not going out alone after dark. If the gym does get crowded I am lucky enough I can just go later but not everyone has that luxury.
    I have a hard time believing it's that bad in Trenton OH with a population under 12,000. I would agree if you said Detroit or even Toledo.

Wow telling a woman when she is and isn't allowed to feel safe.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

...and the new members have as much right to be at the gym as those who started years ago.....

Your initial post was very self serving.

Merry Christmas, and especially Happy New Year!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking forward to some fresh blood in my cardio classes. It's been dead the last few months, and the whole energy level of the class drops when there are maybe 4 of you... especially when 2 of the 4 are 60+ years old and barely moving.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed my gym being too busy in the month of January in the past. It was a ghost town last night.
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    *Food for thought*

OP- i am not a resolutioner, ive been going to the same gym for 3 yrs BUT i only go when its to cold/raining outside. Needless to say people might think im new since im only there during the winter months but im not. I am also pretty sure im not the only one that hates running in the cold. :wink:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    20 minutes on the treadmill is about 15 minutes too long anyway. They are doing you a favor.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Every new year, the gyms fill up with people who make resolutions. They eventually get back to normal around March. But it REALLY ticks me off -- which sounds awful. But I feel like I go so regularly all year, every year, and then suddenly I have to wait in line to get on a treadmill. And the treadmill time is limited to 20 minutes. Anyone else find they have to wait in a friggin line to get on equipment at the gym? Crazy! They even have employees who come around and turn your machine off at exactly 20 minutes!

Each year, somebody that just joined MFP and barely has any posts joins the site and clutters up on F&E forum with whiny posts complaining about how they aren't the only person in the entire world. The join gyms with cheap membership rates that can only be sustainable if more people join the gym to subsidize the price and then they cry cry cry when those people want to work out. It drives me CRAZY! I only have 20 mins each morning to find decent F&E topics to post on but I have to wade thru this garbage instead. I wish MFP had an employee to go around every 20 mins and delete thread like this from existence, especially from people that haven't even been on the site 30 days.

owned-50449.jpg
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

u5ys.jpg