Your Goal : Fitness or Looks ?

Options

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I started out wanting fitness. Now I'm fit. Very fit. But I can still get stronger and faster... so I still want to improve my fitness, but my diet is all about looks. If I wanted to focus ENTIRELY on fitness, I wouldn't eat at a caloric deficit, which I do... to burn off the jelly belly. So it's balancing fitness and looks for me.

EDIT: As a runner, I get faster if I'm lighter too.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The honest answer its both.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Its all about looks baby!!
    Fitness just follows!
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm here because I want to feel comfortable in my body...that means being able to hike for miles, AND look awesome while I do it.

Why does it matter to you what someone's motivation is? "abusing their fitness skills"? That's a little silly. And condescending.

Exactly~^

I want to look better, and feel better mentally and physically. But I tell ya one thing, when I drop this weight i'm hitting the mall to "abuse my fitness skill"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Looks. Definitely. I could care less about the fitness part of it.
    Think of it this way, if you could have a killer body, never have to work out and eat whatever you want, would that NOT be the dream?!
    If I could maintain a six pack while eating a diet of only fast food, I would never do another minute of cardio again.

i actually enjoy picking heavy stuff up, so I would keep crushing weights even if I did not need to ….
  • shafstar
    Options
    i actually enjoy picking heavy stuff up, so I would keep crushing weights even if I did not need to ….

I've got a house move coming up if you're interested :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I've got a house move coming up if you're interested :bigsmile:

that might be a little too heavy for me…but I can deadlift your car...
  • MelanieBreuning
    MelanieBreuning Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Both!
    I love feeling healthier and stronger and at the same time... ya know I'm 18 I wanna look good :P
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Both, absolutely. Who doesn't want to try to look their best?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Fitness is my goal. It wasn't the fact that I was wearing size 22W stretch pull-on jeans and 2XL shirts and that I didn't turn any heads (at least in a good way) that finally motivated me to try to lose weight. It was the fact that I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes, got winded walking up 3 steps to get to my front door and just felt like a big blob all the time.

My goal is strength, stamina and endurance and if I just happen to look better as I perform better, that's the icing on the cake.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Looks for me too.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For me it's both, I want to be fit, healthy, and strong, but I also want to look great!
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Both! I have always been a "big girl" but I turn 50 this year and see from other peoples experience it's never too late to lose that weight. I want to be able to say "I can do that". I'm a nurse and see too many obese patients with multiple health problems that can't get back to their healthy self. I don't want to be one of those people I see pushing their grocery cart through the store leaning on the handle bar for support because they can hardly walk.
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Looks. Definitely. I could care less about the fitness part of it.
    Think of it this way, if you could have a killer body, never have to work out and eat whatever you want, would that NOT be the dream?!
    If I could maintain a six pack while eating a diet of only fast food, I would never do another minute of cardio again.

I get a lot of stress relief from working out too. I like the team effort that comes with some of my work out classes, a sense of community and belonging where I work out, and even if it didn't change my looks fast food makes me very ill. You might be young enough to where fast food doesn't make you feel awful. If so, enjoy it...that changes as you age!
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wanna look sexy, is that a crime?
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually work out solely to be more "generally fit"? I mean, if weight lifting/running/etc. made absolutely no difference in a person's appearance, no one would be in the gym.

Before I learned more about why I had failed before, and managed to succeed now, I was willing to work out and eat right just to lower my A1C level (diabetic blood sugar level.) Being fat but not diabetic (and therefore not guaranteeing to be a burden to my child) as long as I could get fast enough to outrun my kid if he bolted into a parking lot or street was enough for me, honestly. I still can't see the difference in my body 50 pounds later, but the compliments and the clothes I am putting aside for donation this week tell me otherwise.

I do have some very inspiring friends who have lost a lot of weight and look very good, and it has made me want that for myself, but when I started I didn't really think that exercise and nutrition was going to be enough for me. As it turned out I was depressed, allergic to foods I didn't realize were making me sick, underestimating how much exercising I needed to do and I hadn't found exercise I didn't like, which all contributed to a big pile of fail in previous attempts. I finally put it all together, though.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Fitness.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    My goal is health - both physical and mental.

How I look is part of it. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin, and aesthetics is part of that; liking what I see in the mirror, being able to fit into clothes I like etc.

That's only one part of it though. I like how being fit makes me feel. I like that I can manage depression with running. I like being able to go up and down stairs at work, sometimes carrying things, and not be out of breath like everyone else around me. I like being asked to carry heavy stuff, or surprising people when I can carry heavy stuff. I like having more energy, and sleeping better. I feel better knowing that I'm doing my best to avoid the diseases I'm genetically predisposed towards getting. My health used to be a big worry to me, and now it's not. I like being able to learn new sports (having been a completely non-sporty person) and the fact that I can realistically plan a trip now that includes climbing a big ****ing mountain.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No question Fitness!!!

I was good looking even when I was obese!! LOL!!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    No question Fitness!!!

I was good looking even when I was obese!! LOL!!!

love this answer

for me it was sheer vanity, but i think if you keep at it you will get both.