Anyone up for a 5k challange?

Options
Hi, I'm in Vegas, and a friend and I are going run our first 5k in Feb. Would anyone like to join us for training and inspiration?
Margie :)

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    This has been one of my secret desires for ages!! But I've NEVER done anything like it and I wouldn't even know where to start!! But it seems like plenty of time between now and then! LOL! :o) Now am I brave enough to do this....??? :o)
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! I know I'm pretty far away, but I'll be in N.IL in March! Where in BFI do you live? If you're not too far from my family, maybe we could crank out a St.Patricks 5k while I'm there :D
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to reply! My brain has been all over the place today!

I live about 3 hours south of Chicago but travel up there frequently for my family (I'm originally from that area) and friends! I have seriously ALWAYS wanted to do this! Do you know how to get started?? I am so excited!!! My birthday is in March and I think that would be an amazing birthday gift to myself to get this accomplished! My goal lately has been to be more goal oriented...so I think this is perfect!!!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    I'm in! I just need to find a 5K to do in Feb. now!! :o) I've never done one and have always wanted to. I think I will cry when I finish it!
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm in! I just need to find a 5K to do in Feb. now!! :o) I've never done one and have always wanted to. I think I will cry when I finish it!

My son ran cross country this and last year, so i know the route to take at a local park where he had his meets. I am another that has always wanted to do this. I was always scared to run cause it hurt my knees so bad, but between loosing weight and working out, my knees are stronger! I think i want to joining you all on this challenge.....however.....im a lil worried about training for it in the winter!

Taush, dont worry about find a 5K race, just measure a distance of 5K and practice on that route.
  • margie_77
    Options
    There is a Mardi Gras run out here on Feb.12th, that is my goal! :)
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    hey girls..Just making sure we are all still in on this?? Haven't seen any posts in a few days!
  • margie_77
    Options
    Sorry about that :) I finished the first week of the couch to 5k program yesterday!! I start week 2 on Sat.
    How is everyone else doing? Have you picked a race? Started training?
    Margie
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Hate to admit it but I haven't even started.

Are you doing your training on a treadmill or outdoors ? Just wondering.
  • margie_77
    Options
    It's been pretty cold, and with it getting dark so early now, I've opted for the treadmill. Its also easier to keep track of time and distance. I know that running in the wild (haha) is way different, so I'm hoping to do atleast some of the training outside so I don't go into shock when I run the race!
  • margie_77
    Options
    So.... I'm going to start week 2 of the couch to 5k on Saterday. I'm going to do it 6 times instead of the suggested 3. That should help with Thanksgiving!! hahahaha
    How are all y'all doin?
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sure what is your game plan?
  • margie_77
    Options
    I guess the plan is for everyone to pick a 5k near them and then let everyone here know what they are doing to get to their race.
    I am doing the couch to 5k program, and I'm running in my first 5k on Feb. 12th.
    :)
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I just talked to my husband this morning about starting Couch to 5k program. We are going to start on the treadmill too, but as time gets closer of course we will begin training outdoors. I'm not sure exactly what day we are planning on beginning, but I'm sure within the next week!
  • margie_77
    Options
    Saweet!!!
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Okay so I just signed up for the American Red Cross "Out For Blood" 5K on March 26, 2011 @ 8:00AM in Columbia, MD. So that gives me 4 months to prepare. I've also signed up for the Couch to 5K program.
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hey guys!

i am on W6R1 of c25k, it's BRILLIANT!!!!! i swear, once u get into it, u'll want to run more and more! have the 'get running' app on my phone so it tells me when to run/walk, its great.

even tho i'm only on week 6 i'm doing a 5k in a week, in aid of homeless kids....dressed as TINKERBELL!!!! hahaha! if i run 25 mins of it and walk the rest i'll b happy! it's a fun run, not a race so there's no pressure once i complete.

how is everyone gettin on with c25k and where r u guys on the programme?

Sal x
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    So I was doing some research on the c25k...Is this a program you need to pay for? I was a little confused by the site, this isn't saying much, I'm sure my roots should be blonde...haha!

Also, I'm not finding many good runs in my area. I'm going to have to build up slowly anyhow...I found one in May in a town 8 miles from me that I might be interested in doing. However I really want to do a 5K with a good meaning behind it. Run for a cause you know? That's why I wanted to get into this to begin with! There are quite a few that are in a town north of me where I used to live...but I'm not sure of the dates. I am willing to travel. They for sure need to be in the spring...Ha ha!

So I don't have a date yet and I don't have my program yet...but I have my gym and my shoes are ordered! Half way there! :o)
  • margie_77
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is widely published for free!!! :)
    You can print the workout schedule from here. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    There are also alot of free sites that give suggestions about how you should eat to prepare as well.
    I think I'm going to run quite a few 5k's while building up to 10k's. I agree that its great to find one with a meaning, and I'm sure I will do major fundraising for the ones that hit home, but I'm not going to wait for it. hahahaha
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Just did the c25K w1 wo 1 for 15 mins testing myself, it is doable. :wink:

Tomorrow will be the next, I Plan to catch up to you Margie.

I'm excited, my first 5k.