How Can Everyone Afford Quest Bars?

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    There are cheaper portable sources of protein available. You don't have to buy quest bars.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Replace the Quest bar with a can of tuna and a Snickers bar (not together, obviously). 50% more protein, better taste, less money.

This... times a million. Quest bars are just nasty.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat half of one, as part of a snack, if my protein is low. They are really convenient.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day for breakfast. It's a pretty cheap meal.

I too buy mine at vitacost.com.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    We buy them every month with our GNC discount card. Plus, you can usually buy some and get more for free. I eat them on the way to the gym.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You really can't get them any cheaper than $24.00 a box or roughly 2$ a piece.

You can always try making you're own with a tub of protein powder though! They end up being WAYYYY cheaper.

http://www.sweetcheetah.com/2013/07/diy-quest-bars.html

You can also try making something like proats, protein balls, protein fluff, etc. with the tub of protein powder. *Shrug* I also used to buy quest bars and go through a box in a week (haters gonna hate Nam'Sayin) but couldn't justify it anymore. I now eat an apple (cut into slices) with a spread made of 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate and 25 g protein) 2 tablespoons PB2 and water. It's nom nom tastic.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    where do you al go where's there's $2 coffee!! coffee in my area is like $5 :laugh:

A Tall Blonde at Starbucks is $2, in Manhattan. The only coffee I pay $5 for is a cup of Ethiopian coffee French pressed when I order it from a place called Kaffe 1668. Only have 2 locations in TriBeCa and it puts Stumptown Coffee to shame.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked Quest bars sometimes. Cookie dough has been the only one so far that tasted decent to me but even then I didn't like it enough to buy anymore of them.
  • fitchocolatechip
    Options
    Hmmm I will have to look into a GNC discount card!!:) And omg y'all think Quest bars taste bad haha I do not know what to tell you I loooovvvee them!!:) And yes your right in the grand scheme of things they are not that expensive but my family usually purchases grocery items from BJ's in bulk, so there protein bars are $18-$20 for a box of 18 bars, so it is expensive to me haha:embarassed: And that is a good suggestion! But yeah I do not think people would talk to me much if I walked around with a can of tuna:wink: OMG same!! I have food allergies too (gluten and lactose) and I have found that Balance bars (the certified gluten free ones) and Luna bars work well for me but they do not have as much protein as Quest! I am also looking to try Think Thin bars. Thanks everyone!!! I will definitely consider everyone's answers:)
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein bars. I'm not buying this crap. I like making my own because I know exactly what's in them and the exact process it took in making them. Not to mention the amount of $ I save for some of the best protein bars you can have.

Flax, Honey, protein powder, coco powder, all natural peanutbutter and milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7yixMZWJo

Here's a vid on how to make them. No baking required. Save your money.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    where do you al go where's there's $2 coffee!! coffee in my area is like $5 :laugh:

A Tall Blonde at Starbucks is $2, in Manhattan. The only coffee I pay $5 for is a cup of Ethiopian coffee French pressed when I order it from a place called Kaffe 1668. Only have 2 locations in TriBeCa and it puts Stumptown Coffee to shame.

Well I'm definitely not in a huge city, but yeah...the only $5+ coffee you'll find is a venti mocha with an extra pump of espresso at Starbucks.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    in the grand scheme of things they are not that expensive but my family usually purchases grocery items from BJ's in bulk, so there protein bars are $18-$20 for a box of 18 bars, so it is expensive to me

Is it possible to get a part-time job? (I don't know the details of your schooling etc)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Replace the Quest bar with a can of tuna and a Snickers bar (not together, obviously). 50% more protein, better taste, less money.

Groceries are high where I live. Unless there was a big sale, I would pay the same price for a can of tuna and a Snickers as a Quest bar...also a lot more carbs.

A Quest bar costs half of what I would pay for my typical order at Starbucks (I don't go there often, but if I did...). :) My coffee is a grande skinny iced caramel latte with an extra shot and it is about $5.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, but if $2 is around £1-ish, then I don't think that's very expensive. £7 a week?

I get a box of 15 protein bars when I have spare money and just have them for when I'm in a rush and miss breakfast or as a post-gym snack as it takes me a while to travel home to eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I've never had one, and have no desire to have one. I'd rather just eat more protein and vegies/fruit at meals
  • fitchocolatechip
    Options
    I wil definitely read that recipe and maybe make it!! Thank you so much that is a great alternative!! Yes I am actually looking into getting a job this summer (my parents don't want me working during the school year) so hopefully that pulls through!:)
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They'd be more expensive in UK stores. Online they are around £26 for 12 pack on multiple websites, so just over £2 a bar. Might get some just to see what the fuss is about. The macros arent bad on them to be honest and only 160 calories, so not bad.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I prefer Clif Bars.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I prefer Clif Bars.

+1
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I figure about a penny per calorie is the norm for my TDEE (I eat about 2,500 calories per day). So a Quest bar is about 1.25 cents per calorie, not too extravagant.