Weight Training

Options
Need some help here. I want to add Weight Training into my diet & exercise regiment. I am overweight ~ 265 and I want to drop ( I would be happy to drop 30 to 50 - anything above 50 and I will be VERY HAPPY) as much as possible by August.

I can workout three to five times a week maybe even sneak in a 4 to 6.

So I just started back up again after 2-months off and can easily do 60 minutes of cardio burning around 1,200 calories a session - that plus walking durring the day and other activites, non-strength training I could burn around 1,500 a day.

I am going to try and limit my diet to 1,200 to 1,500 a day.

I was thinking about a 3 or 4 day weight training session:

Day 1 Back, Shoulder and Biceps
Day 2 Chest and Triceps
Day 3 Core (abs) and legs

Just a thought - what say you?

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough at 1500. Start at 2k minimum. Hell, even that is probably way too little.

Get the book Starting Strength. Read it. Do that program. Full body 3x/week. Keep your protein high to help retain the most muscle possible as you try to lose fat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You list no actual exercises, sets or reps.

Your training experience is not listed, but I'm guessing you're a novice. In which case the split you describe will be sub-optimal. You'll do better on a three day full body routine.

SL 5x5, Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, NROL and All Pro's SBR are all good choices
  • jimmmer
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough at 1500. Start at 2k minimum. Hell, even that is probably way too little.

Get the book Starting Strength. Read it. Do that program. Full body 3x/week. Keep your protein high to help retain the most muscle possible as you try to lose fat.

I just want endorse the upping of the calories. 1500 really is too low for such an undertaking. High protein is a must, too.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You're trying to reduce calories too much through diet on one side and exercise on the other. It is a quick trip to burn-out or getting sick. Lifting will make it even worse. The ideal is trying to keep a consistent 1,000 calorie deficit from your TDEE which is a sustainable level albeit a tough one. Lifting is a great add and will help you be happier with your thinner body. Pick a basic lifting program (I am doing a 12-week program). The structure will help you stay focused and not drift. Planning is essential to getting to a goal.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!

So far here is what I got:

1. Purchase the book Staring Strength (Kindle Fire - maybe) - ??
    2. Full Body 3x/week (I assume a single day break in-between - so I could do a Friday, Sunday and Tuesday) - ??
    3. Calories around 2K a day - high content of lean protein
    4. Reps, Sets (I assume you be lower weight and higher reps and then increase over time) - ??
    5. Cardio on off days - ??
  • jimmmer
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!

2. Full Body 3x/week (I assume a single day break in-between - so I could do a Friday, Sunday and Tuesday) - ??
    4. Reps, Sets (I assume you be lower weight and higher reps and then increase over time) - ??

Just follow the set/rep scheme laid out in Starting Strength if you're buying the book and following the programme.

You can do some cardio on the non-lifting days in-between your lifting days, giving your body at least 1 full day off a week.
  • trebin
    trebin Posts: 12
    Options
    I would honestly look at 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, you can get it for 9.99 on Amazon and it was the best plan for me when I first started. It is simple to follow and produces amazing results. You can message me if you want/need help as well.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I would honestly look at 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, you can get it for 9.99 on Amazon and it was the best plan for me when I first started. It is simple to follow and produces amazing results. You can message me if you want/need help as well.

The guy's a novice. Unless you're recommending Wendler's 3-day full body layout from the book, then it'll be sub-optimal for him.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!

1. Definitely
    2. It's in the book, but yes
    3. I'd even shoot for more like 2.5k, with 200-250g of protein. See where that gets you. If you're not losing after 2 weeks then drop 1-200 calories and try again.
    4. It's in the book
    5. Cardio will mess with your results. Ideally you'll do nothing, if you have to do something try HIIT once a week, 8 rounds of 20s on and 100s off.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

The guy's a novice. Unless you're recommending Wendler's 3-day full body layout from the book, then it'll be sub-optimal for him.

5/3/1 is an excellent program for intermediate to advanced lifters, I would definitely recommend buying it at some point, just not yet.
  • trebin
    trebin Posts: 12
    Options
    I started off w/ 5/3/1 as a total beginner. I remember benching 95lbs and being excited when I hit 135. I think you could modify it for a nice beginner split, his newest book has a lot more options in it then the first 2 editions.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!

1. Definitely
    2. It's in the book, but yes
    3. I'd even shoot for more like 2.5k, with 200-250g of protein. See where that gets you. If you're not losing after 2 weeks then drop 1-200 calories and try again.
    4. It's in the book
    5. Cardio will mess with your results. Ideally you'll do nothing, if you have to do something try HIIT once a week, 8 rounds of 20s on and 100s off.

5. Mess with what results? Weight loss?? lol. Because that's hiw goal, to lose fat.

Cardio is fine. 3 times a week. Not immediately before lifting.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Jim actually has a beginner routine that he outlines in Beyond 5/3/1.

Basically you go week to week, following the weeks and hitting your sets at the given percentages, but doing 5 reps for everything, always. Then on the last set you don't AMRAP, and instead use joker sets.

I don't like it because it doesn't have you starting light enough for a beginner that isn't supervised. In fact, I ended up hurting myself still going too heavy, too soon (and believe me, I thought I was being very careful) with 5/3/1 because it starts you off at 90% of your Est 1RM.

I would recommend you start on Stronglifts 5x5, and start with the minimum weight (the bar). You'll feel like a ***** for a month or so, but I promise your joints and tendons will thank you. I'm out of the gym right now because I went too heavy, too soon.

Otherwise though, 5/3/1 is an awesome program and I highly recommend it for someone who is better trained. Maybe 6 months to a year out.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i have found that the best cardio to do when you are weight lifting is a kettlebell workout or circuit training. that way you are getting your heart rate up while still engaging your muscles. it is a way better cardio workout than the deadmill.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My suggestions....

Eat more--you need to fuel your body to perform
    Read up on Starting Strength or Wendler and see what you learn from that..this will give you a better more specific program.
    Don't do too much in one day. Set up your workout to be specific, i.e. don't do 10 different movements for chest and tri's, try to have a focused workout so you are working most efficiently
    Check out Eat to Perform, great tips on diet and lifting and how to change your body
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I started off w/ 5/3/1 as a total beginner. I remember benching 95lbs and being excited when I hit 135. I think you could modify it for a nice beginner split, his newest book has a lot more options in it then the first 2 editions.

I have the 2nd edition - he outlines his full-body setup on page 79.

It's definitely suitable for a beginner as long as they have an idea of their RMs so they can get an accurate(ish) training max to start with. I worry that a total beginner will not have an accurate handle on their RMs in order to establish the correct starting point. Since the whole programme is percentage based, you really do need to start off with the right TM.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say you should find a regime you enjoy. SS is great and plenty of people love it but it can be pretty boring. It does have the advantage of being simple to follow though. There are various other programs intended for beginners/intermediate lifters that you could try if you are so inclined and as a new lifter you will probably see good results on any of them. I've known people who have started with SS, with a 5 x 5 program or with WS4SB and seen results they are happy with. You will probably want to avoid the latter option as a complete beginner but it is up to you.

As an alternative (or additionally) to buying any books you can watch great videos online to teach you how to do the lifts and various other things (Dave Tate, Rippetoe himself etc). Again, this is preference.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

It's definitely suitable for a beginner as long as they have an idea of their RMs so they can get an accurate(ish) training max to start with. I worry that a total beginner will not have an accurate handle on their RMs in order to establish the correct starting point. Since the whole programme is percentage based, you really do need to start off with the right TM.

Absolutely, I would suggest someone start at 60% of their 1RM, especially if they are untrained.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Absolutely, I would suggest someone start at 60% of their 1RM, especially if they are untrained.

You can zone in on the 90% he talks about for the standard programme by doing a triple. It's something like 90(ish)% of your 1RM, I think. It's still a bit much for a beginner though. I don't think the connective tissue has been exposed to enough ongoing stress at the beginner stage to handle this kind of thing. Takes tendons and stuff a while to adapt.

I'm not sure how a true beginner would know their 1RM to take a percentage off of though? Unless they worked up to 5-6RM and used that figure for their 1st cycle TM? That would be a conservative enough start, I would think and allow their soft tissue time to adapt before things really got going.