Zumba was seeming undoable even though I love dancing

Options
2»

Replies

• FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started doing Zumba - I was sweating like crazy and panting after the first 15 minutes of a 60 minute long class. So you know what I did?

I kept going.

When I started getting tired I just went a little slower, but I kept doing it. I didn't give up, no matter how uncoordinated or tired I felt. It took a few weeks (going 3 times a week) until I was able to not feel completely exhausted. Now I find I don't even work up enough of a sweat when doing it, but I still go because I enjoy it.

I think it takes time for any person to get used to a new routine. Don't give up!
  • pahock
    pahock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba. Do what you can do. You will eventually build up enough stamina to get through the whole class. I just started working with a trainer and I almost passed out during our first session. Your body just has to adjust. Keep at it and have fun!
  • I feel your pain. I am 220 pounds and did a few rounds of Zumba class, and have the discs at home. I also yawn when I'm tired of exercising, lack of oxygen. I love Zumba, but I do find I can't keep up and jump around like the smaller people can. Just keep doing them, as much as you possibly can, and your body will get better and better at it! I just have fun flailing around like an idiot.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Zumba is one of the only cardio exercies I love! I am signed up to become certified in March (so excited!). When I first started out I wasn't sure if I would keep up. I used videos at first and hated it. Then I decided to give it a try with a friend of mine at the gym and had a blast! I do a 60 minute class and it can wear you out, but I also feel great afterwards. Just stick with it!
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    it is doable! don't give up..... I wasn't sure about it, but it's been almost 2 years and I love it!!!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for 2 months now, for 4 days a week (one day is in the pool), and I still can't totally keep up. And I've been at the gym every day and have lost 21 lbs. With that said, I still go because it's fun and a great workout. When I can't keep up, I just march in place. As long as you're moving, it doesn't matter. We have a horrible room with a carpet, so it's hard to twist and I have bad hips, so I don't do much of the twisting moves either. However, like you I love dancing and am hoping to return to that once I lose a little more and improve my back and hips. In the meantime, the Zumba workout is a great alternative to boring gym routines and you don't have to go as high intensity as the instructor. I look around me during class, and most aren't doing all the jumping and twisting. Many are just marching in place during certain moves. But they keep coming. So, keep at it. My first few sessions, I thought I would die in a few minutes, but now I'm doing the full hour four days a week and love it! Good luck!
  • arps2013
    Options
    Thank you all for all the support and tips. This really means a lot!!

Arpita
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Just modify your movements, even if it means all you can do is two-step for a while. If you're two stepping, try to keep up with your arms, or stop doing arms and just move your feet. If you want to keep pace, make your steps smaller, leaps lower (just to on your toes instead of jumping if need be). If you're not sure how to modify something, please feel free to private message me and ask. I'm Zumba licensed.

It's very doable! I'm one of the more energetic people in my classes where I'm not leading and I have exercise induced asthma. If I can do it, you can too!
  • arps2013
    Options
    Thank you all once again!
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yawning is a effect from lack of oxygen to the brain
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I also do Zumba and took me a couple of weeks before I could make it through an entire class without feeling like I was dying. Now it's just fun, I struggle with the steps and I'm not the best at dancing but I have a good time with it. Now I just have to get my stamina up to get through the Body Attack classes I have been doing. Now THOSE are killer!!!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my advice is take it a bit easier as you start, and keep at it. Nothing complicated about this, just pace yourself and keep going.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    I just entered my first exercise in My Fitness Pal. I was only able to do Zumba for about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes my heart rate was feeling so high and my body was feeling so tired that I was yawning (for some reason I yawn once my body gets tired of working out whether at gym or during any workout). I am not sure if this is normal but Zumba was seeming undoable for next time even though I love to dance. Any tips??

Arpita
    Loving to dance and being able to do choreographed steps aren't the same thing. Zumba is fast moving for many and if it's not steps you're used to, it will be challenging. But like anything else, repetition helps one to get better. The more you do it, the better you get at it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I started my weight loss journey with Zumba and recently got licensed to teach it! I'm very excited to get into some gyms and start teaching some classes.

It is definitely something that gets a little easier as you keep going. I would recommend going to the same instructor over and over again if possible so that you start to learn their style and their routines. After you continuously go it will become easier and easier for you!

If anyone is interested in the Zumba clothing, right now they have their Semi Annual sale and everything is discounted up to 50%! Also, when you're ready to checkout, if you enter code NICHOLE325 at checkout in the affiliate code box you will get an EXTRA 10% Off! DM me if you have any questions! It's a great deal, I'm about to purchase some stuff right now!

:)
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump :)