How to keep the big no soda New Years resolution? Help

Options
2»

Replies

• MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I never drink soda anymore (unless it's the only option), but basically I just gave it up by vowing to drink more water. Since I started drinking water all day, I no longer feel the need/want to drink soda.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how hard it is to NOT drink soda? Idk, maybe it's just me? :huh:
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thanks and FYI diet soda bad for you also just because it says 0 calories does not mean it is zero calories. But thanks

Um... what? :huh:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Drink seltzer water or just say no.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Thanks and FYI diet soda bad for you also just because it says 0 calories does not mean it is zero calories. But thanks

Um... what? :huh:

Pretty sure they mean it can have trace amounts of calories which means, per the FDA, that the label can say "zero calories". Same goes for labels that boast "No Trans Fats!" They could have such a minimal amount that they're allowed to say it has none.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    so

how many calories does it have?

That is an excellent question. I anxiously await the answer.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how hard it is to NOT drink soda? Idk, maybe it's just me? :huh:

Hehe, my husband says this same thing. It gives him pretty bad indigestion, though.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I don't understand how hard it is to NOT drink soda? Idk, maybe it's just me?

Some people drink soda for the caffeine and find it hard to quit because they go through the caffeine withdrawls.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet. Or set a limit, say no more than one a day. Cutting out a whole food item only makes me want it more, so why set yourself up for failure? And log those calories, if course.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Just ask for water, or tea, or sparkling water, nobody will think it's weird for you to turn down soda, at gatherings I often turn down drinks completely because I'm not thirsty.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    While soda isn't good for you, it doesn't sound like you have a problem with it. Why not allow yourself what you want? maybe limit it to 12 sodas per year? Is that realistic for you? I don't believe in completely cutting off anything that you want to have.

If you insist though, drink iced tea. Have that with a splash of cranberry juice topped with an orange slice. Drink any juice. Drink water with lemon (my personal favorite). You can fancy up non-soda and non-alcoholic drinks :) Just get creative. Ask a bartender, they will do the creativity part. Just tell them you want something fancy with no alcohol or soda, or added sugar...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ask a bartender, they will do the creativity part. Just tell them you want something fancy with no alcohol or soda, or added sugar...

I asked my bartender (aka my hubby), and with these perimeters, you would get cranberry juice. Sorry but that's not realistic.

ETA you might get a lemon or lime slice. :indifferent:
  • joycloete
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP is asking for advice on how to eliminate soda during the holiday season... Not whether or not diet soda is bad for you, or whether or not a few sodas are okay in moderation.

THIS
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Ask a bartender, they will do the creativity part. Just tell them you want something fancy with no alcohol or soda, or added sugar...

I asked my bartender (aka my hubby), and with these perimeters, you would get cranberry juice. Sorry but that's not realistic.

ETA you might get a lemon or lime slice. :indifferent:

Seltzer and regular water is not soda.

ETA: And you can also ask for something not sweet. Maybe even ask for cranberry juice with a splash of water or seltzer.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP is asking for advice on how to eliminate soda during the holiday season... Not whether or not diet soda is bad for you, or whether or not a few sodas are okay in moderation.

THIS
    OP has received that advice: If you don't want it, just don't drink it.
    And if it's diet Coke, pass it on over to me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You might have better luck sticking to it if you figure out what it is about soda that appeals to you. When I stopped drinking it, it was because it was my source of caffeine. Another friend drinks sparkling water because the carbonation was the appeal for her. Depending on the soda, it could also be the sugariness of it. If you figure out which factor it is and find a replacement, you might have a better chance of reaching your goal.