GYMS for "Fattys" only ( Good or Bad)

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It seems silly to me. Why would you isolate yourself from the people who are already successful and who might be able to help you? You can't avoid everyone in life who is more successful than you are anyway. The sooner you stop trying the better, imo.

(the "you" being the generic "you")
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It's silly, imho.
    Other people's bodies motivate me to push myself.

^^ This. I look to other regulars in the gym as motivation.

I guess I can understand to a small degree about feeling more comfortable/ less judgments made because everyone is overweight. But what happens when you reach your goal and lose weight? Do they kick you out? That can be pretty discriminatory if you ask me.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly. There's no common sense anymore. If someone is being made fun of because he/she is overweight, the jack@ss who's hurling the insults should be banned. Nuff said. There shouldn't be separate facilities for skinny and overweight people. Ludicrous.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    bad!!!! what do they do when they become thinner? Leave and start new and lose all the supportive people they met? Ridiculous and discriminating.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Dumb idea. I can only imagine the backlash if this were the other way around. Gym for "fit people" only.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Some people are intimidated by gyms. If bigger people feel better working out with larger people, go for it. Just do it! From what I've heard, you don't get "kicked out." They usually have a standard, like you have to be at least 30 lbs overweight to join. If you loose it, great. You stay and become a motivator for someone else because they know that you too were once overweight. Makes no difference to me, I would just love to see more people trying to get healthy!
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The only way I can see this as a good idea is if they have machines that are rated for a higher weight than normal gyms. And, truthfully, there are large people out there who are self conscious of how they look and might appreciate a gym where everyone else is in the same boat as them. I'm not one of them, but there are probably enough that the gym will make money.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm indifferent to it, but it's not something I would have ever signed up for. Seeing thin people at the gym was always motivating for me, but I do get that it makes others uncomfortable/self conscious.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    "what gym do you go to?"

"oh you know, that one on the corner of 4th and Lincoln."

"Is that the one where they only let overweight people in?"

"Uhhhh, i don't know."

"I'm pretty sure it is. I tried signing up there, but they said i wasn't big enough."

Seems like that would be a good idea
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    From a marketing and profit perspective, it's brilliant. Thing is, gyms don't make money on the people who actually use them, they make the money on the "resolutioners" who are convinced that they'll use it... tomorrow. They're banking on the idea that the majority of their members won't use the equipment, staff, classes, or other amenities. (Electricity, payroll, wear & tear, water, replacement costs...)
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    From a marketing and profit perspective, it's brilliant. Thing is, gyms don't make money on the people who actually use them, they make the money on the "resolutioners" who are convinced that they'll use it... tomorrow. They're banking on the idea that the majority of their members won't use the equipment, staff, classes, or other amenities. (Electricity, payroll, wear & tear, water, replacement costs...)
    So true! January 1st I won't be able to get a treadmill. End of the month.....take my pic!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Different options for different folks. Some women feel intimidated at gyms and opt for women's only facilities. I can see where very obese people might feel the same about traditional gyms. I sometimes feel a bit odd when Im the only female in the weight training area but Im there to do my thing and then leave. So go to wherever you feel comfortable and will motivate you to continue whether it be traditional gym, specialized facilities or staying in your own home. There are no wrong answers :-)
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Some people are intimidated by gyms. If bigger people feel better working out with larger people, go for it. Just do it! From what I've heard, you don't get "kicked out." They usually have a standard, like you have to be at least 30 lbs overweight to join. If you loose it, great. You stay and become a motivator for someone else because they know that you too were once overweight. Makes no difference to me, I would just love to see more people trying to get healthy!

I agree with this.

I think that if it gets people working out comfortably, then it's not stupid or harmful. In general people don't interest me so seing a bunch of "skinny" or fit people exercising doesn't motivate me. Seing someone I know used to be a fatty does. Even just seeing fat people exercise motivates me.

But I'll exercise anywhere as long as I can afford it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fairly absurd idea because the whole idea would be getting in shape/fit, and wouldn't the gym prefer long term clients? Maybe not. But to me it just seems weird.

I would feel more humiliated going to a gym full of out of shape and/or overweight individuals than being the only overweight individual in a gym full of fit people.
    For similar reasons, I never tried "Curves". I perceived it as being full of church ladies in the 50-60 range and being a fairly young 30-something non mom I just...no...

Then again I have Peter Pan syndrome in some ways, I won't even do Zumba due to similar perceptions and the (IMO) cringe-inducing horrible music that accompanies it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As with everything else: let the market decide.

Personally, I don't like to go to gyms in the first place. I prefer to workout at home. But obviously there is a market for this. It's just like how some people like Planet Fitness and other people don't. Let businesses make their own rules, and let consumers choose how/where they will exercise (or not). Freedom is grand.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    you know I wondered about that too...they never mention what happens when you meet your goal....

They are probably anticipating that most won't meet their goal. I'm sure they've done the research on the percentage of quitters.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Considering that working out is such a minor part of fat loss and that the majority of it comes from nutrition and eating at a deficit this doesn't make sense to me. It's putting such an emphasis on a working out which lets say a moderate cardio session might burn 400ish calories when really that person needs to say no to that second helping of cookies or those 4 extra chicken wings.

And I agree, I used to feel weird about going to the gym and I still do especially if I'm trying a new compound lift or if there are a bunch of people in the weights area but you just do it and eventually you realize you don't care about what others are doing as much as they don't care about you...

Except for that blonde hotty who spins, lifts and drives a Prius with a 26.2 sticker on the back... yummm I always care what he's doing :)

A Prius is considered a positive in a situation like this?

44823d1380672867t-z10750647q-i-don-t-want-live-planet-anymore.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As with everything else: let the market decide.

Personally, I don't like to go to gyms in the first place. I prefer to workout at home. But obviously there is a market for this. It's just like how some people like Planet Fitness and other people don't. Let businesses make their own rules, and let consumers choose how/where they will exercise (or not). Freedom is grand.

Oh by all means. I don't think anyone here (unless I missed it) is suggesting that they shouldn't be allowed to set up their business however they choose. I just think it's a silly idea. :laugh:
  • cheekymcgee
    Options
    I think it's stupid. Even at a gym for "fatties" there will still be someone thinner than you, more attractive than you, who can lift more, run longer or faster than you. That's the nature of any public setting. And who I'd going to decide who is "fat enough" for the fattie gym? I'm 184 lbs which is fat to me but might be a mini goal of somebody who started out at 300,400 or 500lbs. Just some things to consider...

This exactly!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Will they have all of the same equipment as my regular gym? Because I figure if I have my own "fattie" gym...I might not have to wait in line as long to get to the squat rack.