Help new and need some suggestions

Options
13»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

To give you an idea of healthy foods you should be eating… Here's a list of foods I eat:

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Almonds (any other nuts are also healthy fats… walnuts have the highest amount of fat)
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Green and red apples (green apples have less sugar than red apples)
    Grapes (green grapes have less sugar than red grapes)
    Raspberries (low glycemic index)
    Blueberries (low glycemic index)
    Strawberries (low glycemic index)
    Peaches (I buy Dole frozen peaches for smoothies)
    Mango (I buy Dole frozen mango chunks for smoothies)
    Pineapple (I buy Dole frozen pineapple chunks for smoothies)
    Pomegranate

(Try to avoid dried fruits because they contain A LOT of sugar)

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

For treats, I usually buy Dole's chocolate covered banana slices (with or without almonds). One pack is 100 calories. I hear they also make chocolate covered strawberry slices as well but I haven't been able to find them.

Is it healthy because you eat it?

Surely the op can eat what she likes as long as it fits her macros and she gets sufficient fiber?

:tongue:
  • chuckinstuff1
    Options
    I dont quite understand how this turned into such a debate...lol. But it did. i tend to cook most of my food myself. Im a good cook and i hate salty food so i find the premade stuff is too salty for me. i use herbs and veggies to flavor my food. I eat mostly whole foods unless im busy then its more like ok i will stop studying for 45 minutes and in that time i have to cook eat and clean up after...so its quick stuff for dinner. And now my budget has gotten smaller for food every week and fresh produce is freakin expensive in Ohio in the winter! and any time of year for that matter! that doesnt usually deter me from buying it though...I just get mad at myself every time i throw it away because i didnt eat it fast enough.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or the same problem with being tired when they started to change the way they ate. and what they may have found that helped. If anyone has anything helpful i appreciate and enjoy reading about it!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

To give you an idea of healthy foods you should be eating… Here's a list of foods I eat:

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Almonds (any other nuts are also healthy fats… walnuts have the highest amount of fat)
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

For treats, I usually buy Dole's chocolate covered banana slices (with or without almonds). One pack is 100 calories. I hear they also make chocolate covered strawberry slices as well but I haven't been able to find them.

(Macadamias have more fat than walnuts, btw)

Surely the op can eat what she likes as long as it fits her macros and she gets sufficient fiber?

It's healthy. Point blank period.

Sure she can eat whatever she wants. But she asked for opinions on why she is so tired and a good amount of fatigue is a result of foods consumed. I was in nursing school and consequently have taken a number of nutrition courses so I know what I'm talking about. Plus I have a nutritionist myself who tells me what to eat. So I'm telling her what my diet is to help her out. I don't know why you felt the need to chime in.
  • Aarias7
    Aarias7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the same problem...good to go for the first few weeks then off to find out whats in the refrig that I shouldn't eat. But will because I simply just want it. Energy level is a problem for me as well...of course I work swing in the ER. Crazy schedules are not your friend when trying to keep a healthy diet with exercise. However, when I do manage to talk myself INTO going to the gym, I do find that I have more energy and it does keep me on track with my healthier intake. Now if I could just maintain self control I might actually hit my goal! Good Luck!!
  • chuckinstuff1
    Options
    i feel ur pain... :) my schedual is ever changing and it makes it really hard to keep my life at a steady pace. During the week i have long days of Clinical rotation a few days a week then class and studying on the others, and then i work 3 double shifts serving on the weekends since thats the only time i can work! I dont get up the same time any day of the week due to some days i start early and then other days i end late and need to sleep longer to make up for the early days that end late (they are the worst!). i need to get back to packing my lunch and carrying it around with me...but then thats just one more bag of crap i have to lug around. Then i need to find the time to go to the gym to work out ( i do pay$35 a month in hopes that forkin out the cash would motivate me to use it at least $35 worth a month). And going to the gym involves lugging around another bag all day so i can change into something i can work out in! The lugging of baggage all day is a workout in itself! I really need to get my eating habits under control though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

Sure she can eat whatever she wants. But she asked for opinions on why she is so tired and a good amount of fatigue is a result of foods consumed. I was in nursing school and consequently have taken a number of nutrition courses so I know what I'm talking about. Plus I have a nutritionist myself who tells me what to eat. So I'm telling her what my diet is to help her out. I don't know why you felt the need to chime in.

Because I don't think quite a few things on your list are healthy. But I haven't been to nursing school or have a nutritionist so I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • darikp
    Options
    I was the same way always feeling tired on my diet BUT I AM 100% POSITIVE THIS WILL HELP YOU. Eat complex carbs. These make you feel so much fuller than processed carbs. Processed or simple carbs digest basically in minutes after you eat them leaving you feeling hungry right after you eat. Everyday I have a 5-6 potato i just scrub the skin and cook it up with some non stick spray garlic season salt and pepper. Tastes just like french fries but only like 150ish calories. Also brown rice keeps you feeling full for a long time. Those will make you feel POWERFUL. If its high carb out of a package try to avoid it for the first month of your diet.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

Because I don't think quite a few things on your list are healthy. But I haven't been to nursing school or have a nutritionist so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'd LOVE to know what on my list isn't healthy, so do tell.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

You think your list is healthy. My idea of healthy is something different. Experience and influence will give everyone a different perspective of healthy, so you can't pin point certain foods. The foods you've listed are ones you eat, that you think are healthy. They aren't the universal definition of healthy, there is no such thing.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

You think your list is healthy. My idea of healthy is something different. Experience and influence will give everyone a different perspective of healthy, so you can't pin point certain foods. The foods you've listed are ones you eat, that you think are healthy. They aren't the universal definition of healthy, there is no such thing.

Lol. Go read any health magazine and talk to any doctor.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: try increasing your protein levels! that gives me energy & keeps me from feeling hungry! I have done well on here by logging everyday & walking! I am sending you a friend request because I feel we can support & encourage each other!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

Seriously? Doctors don't learn nutrition, practically anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and health magazines are full of as much rubbish as fitness magazines.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that's holy, stop arguing in a thread where the OP is just asking for a bit of help.

OP try the following and see if any improve your situation:

Eating smaller meals more frequently. This helps deliver a more consistent stream of energy to you 'cause, well, you're consistently eating.

Start with a 40/30/30 diet (40% carbs / 30% fat / 30% protein) at whatever your caloric goal is. Try to hit the macros (macronutrients), if it says 100 carbs for the day, aim for 100 carbs, ditto that for protein and fats. Gradually (over a span of months) try inching up one macro and dropping another and see how YOU PERSONALLY feel. When the percentages feel right and give you consistent energy, you've got the right plan for you.

If you're consistently at your calorie goal, tired, and losing more than 1-2 pounds per week, consider increasing your calorie goal by 50 to 100 calories until you find a range where you can still lose weight, but aren't exhausted.

Find some quick cardio routine you can do, sometimes popping in a DVD and just revving up your heart rate a bit is just the ticket to kick start the rest of the day.

*caveats*
    I am not a medical professional. I do, however, believe that eating a variety of foods, spaced throughout the day so you're not going for long spans without eating, making sure you're eating enough but not excessively, and hopping around to get your blood flowing are all viable things to try. Just pick the ones that work for you.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

Seriously? Doctors don't learn nutrition, practically anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and health magazines are full of as much rubbish as fitness magazines.

In order to become a certified nutritionist/dietician, 4 years of intense schooling is required. So actually, no, not anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

What foods do you eat? I'm really curious.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

In order to become a certified nutritionist/dietician, 4 years of intense schooling is required. So actually, no, not anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

A nutritionist is not a dietician.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

I'm well aware of what a nutritionist is and what a dietician is. I'm also well aware that they are not the same thing.

A dietician is a qualified health professional who helps promote good health through proper nutritional habits.

A nutritionist is someone who works with food and nutritional science, aiming to prevent diseases related to nutrient deficiencies.

A registered dietitian in the US needs to have a bachelor's degree, complete an internship, take the exam and maintain ongoing education credits to keep their license. MOST (not all) nutritionists have a bachelor's, master's, or doctorate in nutrition. In fact, many states require nutritionists and dietitians to be licensed.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Pomegranate

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

I'm well aware of what a nutritionist is and what a dietician is. I'm also well aware that they are not the same thing.

A dietician is a qualified health professional who helps promote good health through proper nutritional habits.

A nutritionist is someone who works with food and nutritional science, aiming to prevent diseases related to nutrient deficiencies.

A registered dietitian in the US needs to have a bachelor's degree, complete an internship, take the exam and maintain ongoing education credits to keep their license. MOST (not all) nutritionists have a bachelor's, master's, or doctorate in nutrition. In fact, many states require nutritionists and dietitians to be licensed.

I'd swap the definitions around...but anyway. To me, nutritionists are more holistic. Dieticians are more science based. Considering most of the teaching is based on government nutritional guidelines it's pretty much all biased rubbish. My opinion...like I said, a persons opinion on "health" is based on experience and influences...no one will have the same view on what healthy is, just like "clean" means different things to different people. Working with a health professional on your nutrition means finding someone who's ideals match yours.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    i feel ur pain... :) my schedual is ever changing and it makes it really hard to keep my life at a steady pace. During the week i have long days of Clinical rotation a few days a week then class and studying on the others, and then i work 3 double shifts serving on the weekends since thats the only time i can work! I dont get up the same time any day of the week due to some days i start early and then other days i end late and need to sleep longer to make up for the early days that end late (they are the worst!). i need to get back to packing my lunch and carrying it around with me...but then thats just one more bag of crap i have to lug around. Then i need to find the time to go to the gym to work out ( i do pay$35 a month in hopes that forkin out the cash would motivate me to use it at least $35 worth a month). And going to the gym involves lugging around another bag all day so i can change into something i can work out in! The lugging of baggage all day is a workout in itself! I really need to get my eating habits under control though.

I know I have already said this, but it seems to me that it is more about the amount of calories you are consuming rather than the type of foods.
    I eat 2000 calories just when I'm sitting around all day. Someone as active as you needs to fuel their body with calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Some people actually pack their gym bags for the entire week at once then you can just leave that in the trunk of your car - well, I'm assuming you have one. You can also cook multiple meals at once and freeze them, or otherwise choose ready to eat items such as fruit and nuts to have with lunch. As for nutrition, I'm no expert. But the MFP way is to log, log accurately, log always, then review what you're doing and make tweaks and improvements as necessary.

Protein and fiber will tend to keep you fuller longer, and also make sure you hydrate so you are not mistaking thirst for hunger. Finally, with a super busy schedule, is it possible that you need coffee, etc just like anyone else? You may have got your pep from copious quantities of sugar in your previous diet, I might imagine.
  • GabeLaverty
    GabeLaverty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Listen folks-- I'm going to end this once and for all because this discussion is keeping me from sleeping tonight. I have a B.S. in Exercise Science with a minor in nutrition. I have taken multiple physiology courses, including exercise physiology. I am also an ACSM Certified Health Fitness Specialist. Here's the deal:

Carbohydrates are the most rapidly consumed macronutrient -- so easily broken down, in fact, that it can be used with or without oxygen present (aerobic or anaerobic). Carbs / Simple Sugars / Glucose are the primary fuel during anaerobic exercise such as sprints. They are a rapidly used fuel. That is at the cellular level. When it comes to DIGESTING those fuels, simple carbohydrates are rapidly absorbed by your body. Complex carbohydrates take slightly longer to digest and absorb, especially when there is fiber present in the stomach. However, once a carbohydrate is leaves the stomach, it is always in the form of a simple sugar (monosaccharide). Once the sugar reaches the liver from the digestive tract, the liver can either store the sugar as glycogen for future use, or leave it in the bloodstream to be absorbed by body cells. Glycogen is a complex carbohydrate only present within your cells. It does take SOME time to break down, however, it tends to be very rapid, which is why it is stored within the muscles for immediate use. A sugar crash occurs when a large amount of carbohydrates rapidly enter the blood stream. The influx of sugar (monosaccharide) creates a very large insulin response, which quickly moves all of the sugar out of the blood stream, into the cells or storage. You need some sugar in the bloodstream at any given time, but after a rapid insulin response, too few sugars are in the blood stream, and you experience a period of tiredness. Fiber is important for allowing the body to absorb sugar at an even rate, preventing a large insulin spike. which prevents that sugar crash from occurring.

Fats are the second used macronutrient. While sugars are only made up of 5-6 carbons, which can easily be broken into 3-carbon chains (used by the mitochondria to make ATP), fats are made up of long chains of 5-20+ carbon atoms, and must be broken down into smaller units before being used as a fuel. This process requires a LOT of oxygen and a lot of time to break down, so your body doesn't use it unless oxygen is readily available (which is either at rest, or after 2-3 minutes of exercising). Some fats are stored in the muscles, however, most fats are stored in adipose tissue. Since fat storage can be far away from the cells that use it, it can take a while before the fat is removed from storage, transported to where it needs to be, and then broken down into subunits to be used as a fuel. Sugars in the body can be converted to fat for storage, however, your body prefers to store sugars as glycogen first. Fats are only created from sugars when there is a large excess of sugar remaining in the body.

While some proteins can be immediately used for fuel, most protein is used as building blocks for the body. Because we need protein to build muscles, make enzymes, hold your body together, do everything the body needs to do, etc, we try to use as little protein as fuel as possible. Instead, we break larger proteins into smaller amino acids during digestion so they can be easily transported and used as building blocks for cell proteins. Protein is the building block of life, so we want to hang onto it as much as we can. When we are in starvation mode, with too few carbs or fats available, the body will begin to break down proteins to convert into fuel, but only as a last resort. Since breaking down body proteins means losing muscle mass, decreased metabolism, and decreased body functions, we really don't want to use protein as a fuel unless we absolutely have to.

Now that this is cleared up, I can finally sleep. Goodnight MFP.
This discussion has been closed.