How early do you get up for AM workouts?

Options

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to work out in the evening or on the weekend?

I rarely feel motivated to wake up for morning workouts, so I just make sure I get it in at other times.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Alarm is set for 3:55, up by 4:10, gym by 4:30
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    3am
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Coffee pot finishes at 3:05 am I'm up finish 1 cup and working out by 3:30 am
  • dallasaggie10
    dallasaggie10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:05, and I try to be up and out the door by 4:30. This time works best for me because I can come up with a million excuses to not work out after work!
  • amymarie2534
    amymarie2534 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't open until 6am (9am on Saturdays), so that's the earliest I go.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I wish I could just get up for morning workouts. My kids are super light sleepers (despite noise machines in their rooms) and the moment I start stirring they are awake and all up in my business. I can't workout in front of them because they are crazy distracting and won't stop asking questions "momma, why are you doing that? What's that called? A squat? Hahahaha that's funny! Oh, momma, you look like you're getting hot! Are you hot?" Blah blah blah! It's funny in hindsight, but in the middle of a workout it drives me crazy.

My 2-yo thinks it's HILARIOUS when I do yoga. He giggles uncontrollably, then does a downward dog.

My schedule has me up at 6:30, kids at school by 7:30, then I can do my elliptical (if hubby is home) or take the baby in the stroller for a walk.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I am just starting. I am a nurse who works 12-hour day shifts. I guess I will get up around 4:45 at the beginning to do a 35 minute work out. Any suggestions?

I work 2nd shift as an RN.
    I get up at 6:30 to drop my daughter off at school by 8:00, then I go work out at the Y, taking classes or hopping on a machine.
  • teachmama79
    teachmama79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!! My kids are exactly the same way!!! You're response cracked me up!!! I could totally visualize your situation! :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If I don't get it done early, it doesn't get done. I workout at home, so have to get it in before the rest of the family wakes up. So my alarm goes off at 4:45 and I start at 5:00 so I can be done by 6:00, still plenty of time to have breakfast and get my kid to school on time.

In summer, early workouts are necessary to beat the heat! I run three days a week so I'm usually out the door before sunrise on summer days.

It took a few weeks for it all to become habit, but the regret of not getting a workout done was worse than rolling out of bed, so that motivated me. :smile:
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:45 and arrive when the gym opens at 4:00. take a shower get cleaned up, have some coffee and breakfast then off to work
  • danielzoller
    danielzoller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    4:45 when I can drag my butt out of bed! Quick yogurt and Red bull and on the elliptical at the gym by 5:15. 35 min of elliptical, plus about 30 minutes of weights, then shower and off to work by 6:35. It's hard to do. I wish there was another way. On my days off, I try to workout at a more normal time and I have so much more success and can perform much better at CV and strength training.
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky that my lectures start at 12pm most days! So I get up at 9, do an hour then get ready for uni.
    Monday mornings are my 9am starts, I get up at 6:15, I only do 45 minutes because I am so not a morning person. On my days off, I wake up whenever and do my workout, it gets me pumped up and ready for the day.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    3am

For a minute, I thought I was actually gonna 'win' this thread..... I'm experimenting with the alarm set between 3:30 and 3:40 AM, to get 25 mins ( would like to get that up to 30 mins ) on the stairclimber in our basement before work. I just started working 12 hr shifts, 4 on / 4 off, so, I'm trying to figure it so I can get to the gym 2 days after work, and on 2 of my days off. And swim the other 2 days off.
    I am just starting. I am a nurse who works 12-hour day shifts. I guess I will get up around 4:45 at the beginning to do a 35 minute work out. Any suggestions?

If you have or can get any cardio equipment, that'd be lots of time for a good cardio workout. If you're looking for something more intensive... you could check out some workout DVD's. I love the 12 hr day shifts for the time off.... but I find getting to the gym, even 2 days after work, out of 4 to be challenging.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I stagger downstairs around 4:30

This sounds ridiculous but I am convinced I don't really wake up until halfway through a 40 minute workout, which thereby qualifies as sleeping until 5:15... problem solved ;)

This is an awesome concept. Unfortunately for me, I'm awake, when I get out of bed, so I'm fully conscious while I'm on the stairclimber in the morning. But, the thought of 'sleep-exercise....' wouldn't that just be the best? You wake up to find that you did an entire workout in your sleep?

n8treadmill.jpg
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I stagger downstairs around 4:30

This sounds ridiculous but I am convinced I don't really wake up until halfway through a 40 minute workout, which thereby qualifies as sleeping until 5:15... problem solved ;)

This is an awesome concept. Unfortunately for me, I'm awake, when I get out of bed, so I'm fully conscious while I'm on the stairclimber in the morning. But, the thought of 'sleep-exercise....' wouldn't that just be the best? You wake up to find that you did an entire workout in your sleep?

n8treadmill.jpg

Works for me :laugh:
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My alarm is set for 4:30am but I am usually up by 4. In the colder months my goal is to be at the gym by 5am (when they open). When it's not so cold I will go for a 30 min bike ride with my hubby at around 4:15 and then off to the gym by 5. I find that my am workouts are much better than if I go after work.
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I don't have to be at work until 10am if I want to so not too early. I can get up at 7.15am and make it just fine.
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Up at 5am, and working out by 5:15 with a Jillian Michael workout in the living room.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    M-F I am up by 2 am. Out the door by 3 am. 40 minute commute to work and I am in the gym at work by 3:45. Work out for an hour and begin my day by 5:30 am.

Weekends, I walk, usually 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I get up by 5 am even on weekends.