Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump because um and stuff

ETA: I recommend watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have any. My twin brother got his first tattoo when we were 13, hand done by a friend. That was a mistake (what he liked at 13, he did not like a short time later), but he later tattooed over it with a beautiful tattoo, and now he is pretty much covered in tattoos. It is the type of full body tattoo that all works together as a whole design and looks very nice (and I think it can all be covered with a short sleeve shirt and shorts). I have thought about getting one. But, there is no one image or design that I feel so strongly attached to that I would want it permanently on my own body. And there is no part of my body that I want to put a tattoo onto. So, probably at this point I won't get one. I don't even plan on ever getting a manicure or pedicure, so don't really see myself getting a tattoo. I guess I don't see myself putting that amount of trust into a person. But, things always change and there could always be a time when I have a strong reason to get a tattoo, maybe when I am an old woman. So, I never say never. I do like my skin the way it is. I think some tattoos are very beautiful and artistic. I'm glad I never got a tattoo because I feel I have changed a lot over the years in terms of what I may have liked and identified with as I have grown and explored.
  • MakeMeBeGood
    Options
    I love my tattoos but I have to keep them under control due to my career.

I have two opinions about tattoos on men:

1) My eyes get turned on by a well done sleeve
    but
    2) My brain tells me that I could never stay with someone like that

I N N E R C O N F L I C T
    LOL
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    I love my tattoos but I have to keep them under control due to my career.

I have two opinions about tattoos on men:

1) My eyes get turned on by a well done sleeve
    but
    2) My brain tells me that I could never stay with someone like that

I N N E R C O N F L I C T
    LOL

I hear what you're saying. I think full sleeves if done right can look amazing.. but it will always create a conflict when it comes to getting a serious career.
    I have tons of friends with more tattoos than me, but all of them work in industries where thats acceptable.
    NONE of them will ever move up.. and thats the position that they have put themselves in.

It's unfortunate because many of them have the skills to be several pay grades higher.. but no corporate level boss wants his equal to have full sleeves. They just dont see that as professional, and I understand where they are coming from.

Personally I tend to naturally cover mine with my work clothing, purely for comfort of my clients.
    It seems to work just fine for me.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I love tattoos!

But putting them in the wrong place will effect your working status.
    I'm going to get some, but only on my ankle, the back of my neck, (which is always hidden due to my hair always being down) and some on my arm. My job is going to be a girly-like job, and most girly jobs don't include tattoos.

I probably shouldn't put tattoos on my arm, because it's most noticeable...

I would say don't getting any HUGE ones on your arms, legs, and neck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos!

But putting them in the wrong place will effect your working status.
    I'm going to get some, but only on my ankle, the back of my neck, (which is always hidden due to my hair always being down) and some on my arm. My job is going to be a girly-like job, and most girly jobs don't include tattoos.

I probably shouldn't put tattoos on my arm, because it's most noticeable...

I would say don't getting any HUGE ones on your arms, legs, and neck.

I have avoided tattoos on myself because, as a dancer, pretty much any place I have one could show and not be a desired element of the part.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think any tattoo is acceptable...except for the tramp stamp.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think i draw the line at tattooing ones eye. but thats cause i am squeemish. other than that. have at it. I like people with a story to them :D
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Honestly I do not really care for tattoos. If you want to have them then that is totally fine. When I see them in public I totally do not care. Personally I do not know of anything that I would want permanently etched on my already damaged skin.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    On a side note I was in the supermarket the other day and there was this woman ahead of me. She had to be in her late thirties and she had these stars tattooed on her face. I could almost forgive her since it was supposed to match the tattoos on her arm but it looked like someone did her tattoo with a paperclip and a sharpie pen (not the marker, the pen). I could have done a better job and I am no where near an artist.

I bring this up to say that one bad tattoo is too many and bad tattoos should never creep from your arm to your face.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    For me? One simple one will be plenty.
    For other people? It just depends. There are way too many variables for me to come up with a one answer fits all.
  • fishnbrah
    Options
    on a woman, 1 is too many.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    1. Having a tattoo is like waking up in the morning and deciding to wear the same t-shirt every day.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the look on women at all which is why I don't have one.

Tastefully done (tattoo choice, size and body part placement factors into definition of tasteful), they are okay on men. I prefer more the clean cut/no tats look if I had to pick however. The "bad boy" image that a tattoo can project never really has been all that intriguing to me. I'm more a fan of the "employable" look.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    ^that's my preference.

one is too many, though I don't discriminate based on that. simple preference. a great woman with several would still get my attentions.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think a women's natural skin looks prettier than ink. Pretty much agree with what the above 2 said
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten any because there isn't any I would want that much. My husband doesn't either.

I like some tattoos, and some I think why? Lol I tend to find them more attractive on women than men and I think less is better. In saying that so of the sleeves people get are amazing works of art. I am just not attracted to muscles covered up by ink.

A Facebook friend is getting plenty of work in his country repairing bad tattoos . Basically bad jobs done by a drug addict, or so he says.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I currently have three tattoos. Two of them can be concealed, which is good for employment. I hate that, but that is how it goes in society and with my career choice. I do plan on more ink in my future.

It's a personal preference. To each their own.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I kinda take Neal's view....

By Neal Boortz
    OK … if you’re a listener you know that I’m not fond of tattoos, piercings and body modifications. I really try to never miss a chance to make fun of people who have graffiti all over their bodies, humps and bumps where there shouldn’t be humps and bumps, and various types of hardware sticking out of orifices and through things. They call them tramp stamps for a reason.
    Predictably, I get emails and messages asking me why I “hate” or why I’m “hating on” people with tats. The people who send these messages are beyond understanding. There is a difference between disgust, repulsion and hatred. If someone wants to ink their body from their toes to the top of their skull it is certainly their privilege to do so. I have NEVER challenged a person’s write to pierce or ink whatever they want to. The other side of the coin, though, is that they must then suffer the societal consequences of their strange obsession. One of those consequences is that they typically have a difficult time finding a job. Some of these people have very marketable job skills ideally suited for hiring them and them tucking them out of sight of fellow workers and especially customers. If you’re obsessed with tattoos and body modification perhaps you might want to consider this in your development of job skills. On the other hand, if you’re applying for a job where you will be in constant contact with your employer’s customers you’re simply going to have a hard time. That’s why I am far more likely to encounter someone covered in tattoos behind the counter at a convenience store than I am in a professional office somewhere.
    Additionally --- if I was in the hiring business, and someone covered in tattoos applied for a job I am going to form a rebuttable presumption that this person lacks a certain degree of pride in themselves, a lack of pride that I will assume (again, subject to rebuttal) that this lack of pride will show up in their work ethic as well.
    Clearly I’m on to something here. Just look at this website. It’s a Facebook page for something called change.org. The title is “Include Body Modification in Equal Opportunity Employment.” These fools are seeking 100,000 signatures from people who want the federal government to make it illegal to consider someone’s tattoos or other body modifications in a hiring decision. Take a look at the girl in the picture! Wouldn’t you just be oh-so-proud to have her greet customers or clients at your professional office?
    Look, my friends. If you want hockey pucks in your ear lobes and tattoos up to your nostrils … go for it. But don’t ask someone else to consider your behavior as anything close to normal .. and don’t presume that you have the right to affect some business owners bottom line by forcing him to hire your absurd self to place before his clientele.
    Oh … and I still haven’t figured out why fat women like cankle tats. And is there anything more amusing yet pathetic than a guy with a tramp stamp?

I read the whole post but got turned off the moment the guy said he literally went out of his way to verbally criticize people for having tattoos or piercings. It is one thing to have a preference of no tattoos or piercings, it's quite another to verbally abuse someone for their choice to have them.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    1 is too many for me. I am a (no joke) a conspiracy theorist and am ready to live off the land should things get weird in this country. I don't want any visible markings that I can't remove myself and I also have a theory that the government can more easily put biological tracking mechanisms into things you consent to yourself, like shots, tattoos, etc.