Did you have a lot of set backs?

Options
2»

Replies

• epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    have had, do have and will have.

Eating out on weekends was a problem in the beginning because my husband rewards himself for a hard week at work by eating out, sometimes three times in one weekend. I would diet all week and then blow all that work in one weekend. We rarely ever eat out now, I made a point of showing my husband all the money he was wasting.

I was only doing cardio, and this caused some problems in my back and my thighs as I was not building my core muscles, now I do Yoga everyday. Namasta!

I still have problems drinking enough water.

I was tracking things that that were not really relevant to my journey. I researched my own levels of sat fat,carbs and a couple other things that are important to me and changed my goals and categories to track the things more important to my health issues. In other words, I think its ok to rely of MFP to a certain extent but as you get more savy do your own research.

I relied on MFP instead of entering recipes. Input your own recipes, unless your eating processed food, your version of a recipe will be different from the ones you can just take off MFP and it can be a big difference.

I was not measuring or weighing anything. You really cannot accurately eye ball it, get a food scale and some measuring cups.

This is what I have learned so far, hope it helps.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You will have setbacks, but don't let them get you down. I've been at this only 12 weeks and I already had one setback. One week I had 3 days over 2500 calories. I still haven't figured out why I was so hungry that week (maybe because I worked night shift?), but I got right back to my calorie goal and kept on losing pounds. Determination and logging everything (even on those bad days...you have to know how bad they really are!) will keep you going. The thing that has helped me the most is to log my food the night before. Then I know what I am eating the next day and it takes away the stress of deciding what to eat at the last minute which can lead to bad choices or overeating.

There are a lot of good suggestions on here, so try them and find out what works best for you. They will help you get through any setback and back on track.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Not really until a month ago when I landed in the hospital for 12 days with a major infection. I am over it now, and I DID lose 10 lbs in about 4 weeks because of it, so at least something good came out of it. So what's the setback you say? It's REALLY darned hard to have that happen just before the holidays, and to not be able to get to the gym because of not feeling well and being very tired! I slacked off badly the past week or so as far as eating, partly because of not feeling good. It's hard to eat right when you just can't stand the smell of certain foods (oddly for me it has been some veggies!) that never bothered you before, and when you live alone and are just too tired to do the right thing. I think I gained back a couple or more pounds.

However... I am not giving up - I have come too far to let go altogether. I am going back to the gym for the first time in a month on Monday - wish me luck! I know I will have to cut back on everything and work back up to where I was before, depending on how well or badly Monday goes. And logging properly (not half-heartedly as the past week or so has been) starts tomorrow (I didn't measure or weigh today.)

You just gotta pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start over again each time it happens.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i've had lots of plateaus during the 3 years that I've been doing this.. you have to focus on the little things that work and push ahead... worst thing is to let discouragement (and there always is some when you get stuck) push you off what you are trying to accomplish
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bunion flared up, shortening my workout yesterday and keeping me out of the gym today and (probably) tomorrow, just as I am getting into the groove of establishing a morning cardio routine.

I'm on the roll right now so this forced pause makes me feel like I will have to start over when I go back. Ugh.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I don't even really think of them as setbacks anymore, so much as a change in priorities due to other life events. For a while, I will prioritize something else over health and fitness and subsequently gain weight back temporarily, like at Christmas when I prioritized food and family. I ate well over my maintenance every single day and the scales says I gained several lbs. Now that I'm back home and back to my normal routine, fitness is once again top priority and before you know it I'll have back off the weight I gained. This happens to me every few months for whatever reason - I take a trip, and I prioritize making the most of it and having a good time over making healthy food and exercise choices, or there is a birthday or holiday. Once I get home and get back in my routine, I get back on track and continue to lose weight, and end up at a lower weight than I was before the setback. It's not the fastest way to lose weight, by any means, but for me it's the most enjoyable and sustainable because it's just living life.
    ^ this, just puts everything into perspective. Thank you. :heart:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've had to realize/understand that LIFE HAPPENS! Push through the setbacks and just keep moving forward. We aren't in a sprint with our weight and fitness. This is a marathon - a lifelong race. And it's mainly not about getting to a destination, it's the journey that counts. If you didn't lose this week - so what! The odds are that next week you will. You had a binge day? No big. Leave that day behind and keep moving forward. In the grand scheme of things a binge is just a little bump in the road, not a roadblock. Just keep going!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My road has been bumpy. I've tried a few times. Losing and then stopping. This time though I haven't stopped.. I've decided to change my lifestyle instead of going on a diet. I've decided to act in the same way now as I will when I have lost my weight - and I've decided over the last couple of months what that is going to look like. Every day I live like this is a win for me. I haven't got to wait until I hit the number on the scales to declare victory. Good luck, For me this is a learning exercise and the more I learn the better at it I am getting. The difference between a winner and a loser is that a winner keeps getting back up after falling over and trying again but learning a little from the fall. You can do this, you really can. If at first you don't succeed do it again, but differently lol

Have a look at this as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Setbacks totally; I tore my ACL in my knee the third week into my journey so spent 2 months on crutches and couldn't do much, then got back on track and had physio for my knee but it took 6 months to get it back to good health and I still struggle on occasion... plus I am attending college to get my degree in human services so I am facing a lot there; dealt with so much stress lately I gained 39 LBS back but I restarted Christmas morning and I headed in the right direction more deterimned!! DONT GIVE UP!!! YOU WILL REGRET I KNOW I DID/DO!:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • iamthesweenmachine
    Options
    I plateau'd for 2 months, and since thanksgiving I have alternated between small gain and big loss pretty consistently. Trust me, you'll get there.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    ^^IDK what all that is, but reported.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So I'm back at 0 and have been going at this for 25 days :-(. I lose then gain, etc. I am confident that it is my eating options and exercise, I'm working on that. But for those of you with big losses. Did you start out like this? Did you have some set backs? Can you share them a bit to encourage those of us having a rough start? And advice at overcoming them.

I have:
    - SLE lupus
    -Fibromyalgia
    -PCOS
    -Hypothyroidism
    -Low B12
    -clotting disorder
    -Clinical depression
    -Generalised Anxiety
    -Some degree of social anxiety (that i did overcome to work out at my TINY gym)

Believe me hun, there were setbacks but now I dare someone to say I'm not a weightloss success. :drinker:
    Keep at it! I promise the results catch up with the effort over time.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I really needed this post (and comments) today. The holidays have been brutal!
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Set backs? Well YES! but you can't let them define you. I'm having one right now but I just keep moving on. Log everything even if you don't think it matters. Measure everything and don't over estimate your workout calories. The biggest thing I have learned this time around is that you can't do cardio all day long and expect to maintain your weight when you reach goal. If you haven't added any muscle that will be very difficult.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Maybe like me you have portion blindness. I have to measure everything still or I will end up 600 calories off by end of day
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!