Anyone use the cybex arc trainer?

Options

Replies

• lookpregbutnot
    lookpregbutnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know this is old topic , but I love the Arc!

I like the range of motion for my legs. not boring like the treadmill (I'm not a runner) and I have not been on an elliptical since I discovered the arc.
  • freec78
    freec78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First time on this beast today was a killer. I was humbled in 7 minutes. I walked away convinced that it was satanic...After reading this thread, I'll give it a couple weeks and try to step up my game a little.

If the calorie expenditures you folks are quoting are even 75% accurate, I gotta have me some of that!
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great! I was hoping the calorie burn wasn't too good to be true :)
    I really like the machine...it doesnt hurt my knees like the treadmill does after a few weeks of running. I feel like a get a really good workout, even with my upper body. I already notice a difference in my arms. I am definately dripping with sweat and pretty gross after I am done.

I asked my trainer about that. The default is set for 185 lb person. You can enter your weight manually for a more accurate count.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I use it as well and I believe it to be pretty accurate.

I agree with the above statements, as long as you enter your weight correctly. I also noticed that the calorie count changes according to the programs, even at the same level. I use a different one everyday and I can feel the burn in my legs and butt almost immediately.

FYI, the calories given by MFP are way over, so just take the machine count.
  • Ely82010
    Options
    First time on this beast today was a killer. I was humbled in 7 minutes. I walked away convinced that it was satanic...After reading this thread, I'll give it a couple weeks and try to step up my game a little.

If the calorie expenditures you folks are quoting are even 75% accurate, I gotta have me some of that!

Yes, it is a killer at the beginning but you will get use to it soon. Just start at level one of the program of your choice and go for 5 to 10 minutes. You don't have to go fast, just feel the machine. Increase the time and when you feel comfortable increase the level, or be bold and do both at the same time:laugh: and burn, baby burn.
  • Ely82010
    Options
    I use the Arc Trainer every morning and I agree that it's an awesome workout. My Planet Fitness has a long row of them and they get a lot of use. I log it in MFP as Elliptical Trainer because nobody's entered the Arc calorie burn info. I'll check the official site to see if there's enough info to add it in.

Yes, MFP has an entry for ARC Trainer but you have to know the steps per minute (SPM) and intensity of your workout to log it. For me the information that MFP provides and request is totally different that what the equipment at my gym shows. So I entered my own exercise as "ARC Fitness" and I use that entry to log the workout.
  • Ed5781
    Ed5781 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just tried it yesterday for the first time. Got up to 10 min, burned 133 calories. Today, i got up to 12 minutes. I will increase every day until I get to 30-45 min.
    it kicked the crap out of me! I love it1
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have used the arc trainer often and have an HRM. I find that I have to reduce the calorie burn by about 40% to match what is on my HRM. The arc trainer is usually not at all actuate for the calorie burn in my experience.
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    I love this machine! I do incline level 10 and resistance 26 and do 145-160 steps/minute! I burn between 700-750 calories in 45 minutes and I weigh 162 (I put in my weight as 160 on the machine)!
  • marlynofn
    marlynofn Posts: 1
    Options
    OMG just used this machine today, and I absolutely LOVE IT! I was sweating bullets within 8 minutes of the workout. This is my new fave. :-)
  • victoriaasmall
    victoriaasmall Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    used it for the first time a few days back, I only did 10 minutes and I was dripping buckets worth of sweat.
  • greeneredge
    greeneredge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow on all the posts.I am an elliptical girl for all the years I've been trying to be healthy....but with some definite foot/ heel pain as I've gained weight, I'm going to try the arc trainer TODAY....great timing to hv read this! Can't wait to try something new
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Use to be a treadmill guy but too much calf and knee pain from the pounding. Switched to elliptical full time in March doing the interval program but I could not find how you can choose different levels on this program. I would just increase my SPM and typically burn 430 cal/30 min.

I then tried the Arc trainer. This machine is BAD *kitten*. Since I did the interval program on elliptical I started with P5, 1:1 interval and chose level 4 but had to stop after 2 minutes. I then moved down to level 1 which has resistance at 55 (high) and 30 (low) and have to manually adjust those down every minute. After 2 weeks I am slowly moving up towards the original settings. I burn 530 cal/30 min.

After the workout I really feel pushed. Haven't felt this way for 20+ years since basketball conditioning practice when the coaches would run us until we puked.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's a staple in my workouts. During the week on my cardio days, I switch around from Hills and Hill Intervals program level 10 at about 120 SPM, 35-45 mins on Hills and roughly 30 mins for Hill Intervals. My legs are rock solid and chiseled just from doing it on a regular basis on top of my regular lifts.
  • lynz_dc
    lynz_dc Posts: 1
    Options
    I have never posted on any of these message boards but after my workout today I felt compelled. So, I've been slogging away on the Cybex Arc Trainer thinking that I'm burning tons of calories, but sadly the machine is so far off it's a bit disturbing. Yesterday I purchased a Polar FT7 HRM so that I could get a better idea of how many calories I actually burn during a workout. Today I did interval workout on a legs only Arc Trainer for 30 minutes. The machine said I burned 519 calories...wow! My HRM said I burned 321. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Until I hit about 15 minutes, the calories I burned and the amount that the machine said I burned was about half. My only explanation for this massive discrepancy is that I am in fairly good shape already so I likely have a lower resting rate so it takes a while to raise my heart rate and burn calories; however, I'm no expert in the area and this is only a guess. Anyway, I'd advise the purchase of a HRM if you want to know how many calories you are ACTUALLY burning.
  • dltthomp
    dltthomp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Cybex Full body Arc Trainer is an excellent machine. Used one at a club years ago and like it so much that I Bought one for home. It is so versatile, can do low intensity to super high intensity. The different inclines provides exercise to a range of muscles. I use a Polar chest strap that shows heart rate on the display. The machine is virtually maintenance free and I’ve used it a lot over the years and never a problem.
  • dlecomte4
    dlecomte4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will burn over 1100 calories in a 45m session. Wattage averages from 250 to 280. I am 65, with two bad knees, am 235lbs (30 over). Heart rate I keep under 150,. I admit I am in better shape than my shape would indicate, but is this way off the curve because of bad machine calibration?
  • dlecomte4
    dlecomte4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Adding to previous post, the difficulty level used is 70-100, elevation 4-10. Settings are always manual,
  • Mikeandmore
    Mikeandmore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently bought an used ARC trainer 772AT with E3 monitor after I used one in a club.
    One of the first things I did was to update the firmware to 1.34.130 (a little bit tricky because you habe to update the 772AT using the internat USB port first and then update the 772AT using the external USB port - you have to use a FAT32 formated USB stick; I used one with 2 GB only).

1) How can I find out which TV tuner / receiver is installed in the 772AT?

2) There are three RJ45 ports when you open the back cover of the E3 (two on the main board, one near the TV tuner module). What are these for? Which one do you connect with the ethernet coupler?

3) Anyone knows what is the correct selection for ´TV Source (E3 View Monitor) Select Device Installed. Choices are: Tuner, STB + Tuner, or STB + HDMI.´ How do I know which device is installed?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    We had them at my old gym. I wish we had one here. Intervals on them were so fun for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png