Recruiting Paleo/ Clean-Eating Friends

Options
Hi! I'm looking for some friends who do paleo or clean-eating. I'm trying to commit to a gluten-free, dairy-free routine (for the sake of my stomach issues mostly) and looking for other people eating this way. Anyone else out there cutting out processed foods and making it work? I'd love to be able to share recipes and swap tips and stories.

Especially around the holidays I'm going to need all the support I can get- grab the turkey and the salad and a scoop from the fruit tray?

Replies

• jrapkine
    jrapkine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am! Been eating paleo since July and loving it. I had indigestion for 5+ years that I attributed to weight gain...since the day I stopped eating gluten, my need for tums and prescription antacids has completely disappeared! Looks like it wasn't the weight afterall! If you haven't yet found elenaspantry.com, I'm obsessed.

One tip I have is if you're going to someone's house, pack a snack that's paleo friendly like some nuts, jerky, etc. - that way you know there will be something you can eat. I also love to bake with almond flour and I bring treats to share with everyone - you can eat them too, and everyone gets to enjoy!

I've been a bad little cavewoman the past 2 days (lentils on Sunday, rice with sushi tonight) but for 95% of the time I keep it pretty clean! I have rice or beans on occasion, as well as the occasional dairy. I stay away from gluten 100% though.
  • mirandapaleo
    Options
    New here and also Paleo (well, 95%)! I have occasional lactose free dairy, occassional beans, and occassional white rice (and sweet n low in coffee-bad I know, but its only been 3 weeks and not ready to let that one go yet- and have had my cheats here and there)- but other than that clean eating for me!

Anyone else living this life style find your calories are very low? I barely ever get above 1000 a day- but I just eat healthy, and eat when I am hungry. I log it in here to the best of my ability- but I am not here for calorie counting per say, but using it as a tool to track my weight and keep me accountable.

Plus- if I log my food each day I can track how things make me feel!
  • Hellotillie
    Hellotillie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add more fat to your intake. Coconut oil, macadamia nuts, avocado... That will help. Although it's not a calorie game low cals also can stunt weight loss
  • mikeshostek
    mikeshostek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo for almost 3 weeks now and loving it! Feel free to add me!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, but not Paleo. I actually find that high-fat bothers my stomach and high-carb doesn't, but everyone is different. I'm also dairy-free though, because dairy triggers my sinus infections, although it's really hard around the holidays when everyone else is cooking with dairy! I'm also going to try to decrease my processed food intake further in 2014 and I'm going to cut down on sugar, for health reasons.
  • I did paleo for a year and a half before I fell off the bandwagon around August. I use it as an anti-inflammation diet since my family tends to have overreactive immune systems, and I have dupuytren's contracture. Since this week, I've been back at it full-time. Trying to only do the one recommended cheat day per week, but know that I don't limit dairy because I have never had a problem digesting it and I don't feel the need to eliminate it entirely. I do try to use the closest to the cow (or goat) that I can find (Ronnybrook Farms is amazing!) though, and stuff like ghee is paleo-approved (depending on who you ask...). Anyway, I have a few unpublished paleo recipes on the site that I can send you if you'd like, or you should just check out Nomnompaleo.com for a ton of awesome paleo and primal recipes.

Oh, and if anyone is missing bread, here is an amazing paleo "bread" recipe. It's actually pretty great, and you can even stick the slices in the toaster! http://www.lovingourguts.com/coconut-butter-sandwich-bread/
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I eat paleo (not over the holidays epic fail I am afraid). Starting my first whole 30 5th January. Add me if you want. I am intolerant to dairy and gluten really suffered this past week why do I do it to myself. Back on track today.
  • jamienicholson_
    jamienicholson_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into trying to eat Paleo, but I still live at home and with my parents it can be a little difficult trying to eat Paleo when there is the convenience of something else already being made by mom.
    Really want to get into it though...
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i tried paleo over the summer.... but couldnt stick with it... i:heart: dairy to much.
  • Shalazarr
    Shalazarr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've actually decided to go paleo because I have stomach issues as well. I don't eat dairy and have been eating gluten a little so my stomach problems have flared up. You can add me :-)
  • BigAlNyc
    BigAlNyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off with paleo for about a year, I have been sticking with it since thanksgiving, I am an awsome cook and have adapted many recipes, I'm also following the suplementation recomendations from Dr. Permutter author of Grain Brain since my mother and some uncles on her side side of the family have suffered from alzheimers.

Here is a list of the suplements - available at any wallgreens or vitamin shop. http://www.drperlmutter.com/grain-brain-seven-super-supplements/

Add me if you would like.
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm back on track and now have the support I was missing before. I've been researching the Paleo diet hoping and praying that it will work for me. As a professional cook some changes are harder to embrace than others, but so far this method makes a lot of sense. I have always stated that using fresh is best. Now if I could just convince a few other cooks out there (AKA previous coworkers) that cooking from cans and boxes is just not healthy. Count me in as a new friend on MFP.
  • smoterboat
    Options
    I've been doing a modified paleo thing for a little while now and plan on committing to it 100% starting January 10th after a 3 day juice "cleanse" (it doesn't actually 'cleanse' anything but I don't know what else to call it...) to help clear up some of the cystic acne I've been dealing with recently.

Feel free to add me! I'd love to have as many paleo buddies as possible :)
  • Naturalhiker
    Options
    I am trying to make my diet etc more Primal but its tough so anyone into that add me. It is just hard for me to go 100% primal I can not imagine going without milk and all sugars I am ok with consuming more meats, veggies and reducing carbs.
  • brandyfishback
    Options
    I just joined today. I am getting ready to transition to Paleo. I bought the Practical Paleo book. My Dr suggested it for my autoimmune disorders. I am excited to get going and would love to have a friend or tons of friends to share recipes and encouragement!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting paleo and would love friends who are familiar with this way of eating. I've done low carb in the past, but never paleo. Excited!
  • sthompson0214
    sthompson0214 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too am starting Paleo today...I found a 30 day challenge on Pinterest and she really breaks it down to seem somewhat doable. I have terrible indigestion/stomach issues and am hoping this helps. I also am hoping to get rid of this fatigue I seem to always have. And of course I hope to lose some weight. :wink:

Feel free to add me as well....
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Starting Whole 30 tomorrow for a MUCH NEEDED detox... anyone with a shared diary, feel free to add me! :)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    On and off Paleo for years already, mostly I eat only fresh products and home made, it's just the diary products which I do allow so now and then, cheese is a weakness.
  • Tonja52
    Options
    Happy New Year!! Happy Healthy New Year, I mean. :) I'd love to be added to this group. I have been Palio eating, gluten free and dairy free for sayyyyy, I'd say 6 months. With the exception of this past month, humph. Anyways, I never thought I was irritated by anything. But, as age comes on ( 54yrs here), I realized sometime last year that I was getting alot of heartburn. Being that I'm an advocate of low carb living anyways, I descided to try the Paleo, with the gluten, dairy free as well. To my amazement....I no longer was getting heartburn. THAT was a suprise to me. I eat nothing out of boxes (except mashed potatoes on ocasion) or cans ( rinced off veggies IF necessary). I can't say the last time I opened a can. Anyways, thus being the holidays, I fell off the wagon. :0 Sooo, here I am and if I can help anyone, great. I am not obese, in my opinion, but according to "THE STANDARDS", I am. My hubby just purchased me and a good friend of mine a years membership at a gym! Arreeee, I hate gyms! But....that is going to change, this year. This way of eating really isn't that hard. I cook alot. I love cooking. Just ditch the boxes and cans. Eat ONE INGREDIENT foods, period. That's it, Simple, dimple. Hay, I'm not gonna say that at first, I wasn't lost. I am a carb acoholic, love my chocolate and my happy hours! But, my personal rule of thumb is...eat this way at home. When I go out to eat, IF I really, want something , I get it. I'd say, normally I'm 95% Paleo and dairy and gluten free. Just give it a try for a month, you'll see how good you feel. I went and got two wonderful books, Practical Paleo, author Diane Sanfilippo - my favorite and most informative. The other one is Paleo comfort foods, author Julie & Charls Mayfield - lots of recipies! I also like the information on the JJ Virgin Diet, so I combine them all. I do not eat, Corn, Artifical sweetners, Dairy, Grains, Eggs or Soy. I also try and stay away from anything saying "gluten-free". I don't want to keep eating anything "processed", crackers, noodles, etc. That's it in a nutshell. :) The soda will be my hardest, I think. Love Pepsi & Cola products. I do have a soda infusing machine, just not the same, unless someone has a natural ingredient for cola taste. I'm not on any medications and I want to keep it that way as long as I can in my life. I am not a health nut by any means... I'd like to maybe be one. ;) I am just a plump, normaly active, middle aged girl. I like lots of activities...4 lil doggies, my pink mororcycle, haidresser, cloths, food, shoes, bicycle riding, walking, golfing, camping, boating ....just normal. So, that's my story and let me apologise for being so long winded. I will try and put out there some of my tips and short cuts and just anything to help this group. Hopefully, you all will make me accountable as well. :) Tonja