Soup for dinner

Options
13»

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My soup recipes usually come about like this:

1. Open fridge and see what veg needs using.
    2. Chop onions and garlic and fry in cooking spray until browned.
    3. Chop whatever veg I found and add to the pan
    4. Add veggie broth, usually about 1-1.5 l
    5. Add beans, pulses, tofu or peanut butter for added protein
    6. cook for 30 min
    7. Process until creamy and add seasoning

Done! Tastes brilliant every time!

Hooray, we follow the exact same recipe! :) Except occasionally with some added bacon...

I always laugh when my coworkers say, "That looks great, can you send me the recipe?" And I am like...not really? I use a formal recipe maybe once a month.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also from skinnytaste.com ... her chicken avocado soup! OH EM GEE, I make this all the time! So quick and easy!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    This is a copycat version of Olive Garden's Chicken and Gnocchi Soup...I'll put my edits in parenthesis...

Ingredients
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (I skip this altogether)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (I bump this to 4T)
    1 cup finely diced onion
    1/2 cup finely diced celery
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 quart half-and-half (I use FF evaporated milk)
    2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth (if you enjoy a thicker soup, use 1 can) (I use homemade stock)
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
    1 cup finely shredded carrots (I increase this to 1 1/2cups)
    1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves (I increase this to 2cups)
    1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
    1 (16-ounce/500g) package ready-to-use gnocchi

Instructions

Melt the butter into the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the half-and-half. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in the chicken broth. Simmer until thickened again. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, the thyme, parsley, nutmeg (if using), carrots, spinach, chicken, and gnocchi. Simmer until the soup is heated through. Before serving, season with additional salt, if necessary.

SO delicious and filling...

I second Skinnytaste.com for her soups...we love her chicken avocado soup, and her taco soup. We also make tortilla soup, chicken and dumplings, chili, minestrone, chicken noodle...Is there one in particular you really like? I have access to a commercial database, I'd be happy to look something up for you...
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    We're having soup tonight. Fired up the crock pot this morning.

Browned some pork belly with an onion. Threw it in the crock pot the following chopped up vegetables: Purple Caulifower, Brocolli, Leeks, Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper and 2 chopped Jalapenos. Pepper, Crushed Red Peppers and Garlic.

Then I brought 8 cups of water and 2 cups of milk to a boil, added chedar cheese and poured the mixture over the veggies in the crock pot.

House should smell great when I get home in 10 hours.

Interesting!
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken soup. just boil a whole chicken for about 2 hours, then add onions, carrots and celery...:bigsmile:
    My husband makes the best chicken soup..we change it up all the time..Sunday we added white beans and kale. Delish!!!
    We also do an Italian sausage soup a lot (you can use turkey or chicken sausage) diced onion and garlic, can of crushed tomato, diced tomato, beef broth and escarole.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am having Faux Pea soup tonight.
    16 ounce package of frozen cauliflower
    16 ounce package of frozen green beans
    Bunch of fresh green onions, chopped coarse
    Bunch of fresh parsley, chopped coarse
    32 ounce Chicken Broth
    garlic
    S & P to taste (I actually use the Montreal Steak Seasoning)

simmer and puree! So yum! and so very close to the real thing! (But much lower in carbs...for those that limit their carbs.)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love soup this time of year! I've been slowly remaking my recipes to make them healthier. Here's the ones I've done so far with nutritional info:

Tomato Basil Soup:

Dei Fratelli - Crushed Tomatoes-All Natural, No Salt Added, 4 container (3 3/10 cups ea.)
    Domino - Granulated Sugar-1 Teaspoon, 1 tsp
    Basil Leaf, Fresh - Generic, 70 leaves
    The Spice Hunter - Grill Shakers - Roasted Garlic, 2 tsp
    Fresh Market - Sea Salt Spice Grinder, 0.5 tsp
    Spice - Cracked Black Pepper, 0.75 tsp
    Land O' Lakes - Traditional Half & Half, 8 tbsp (1/2 cup)
    Kraft - Natural Shredded Parmesan Cheese, 1.5 container (1 1/2 cups ea.)

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 318 / fat 12 grams/ carbs 33 grams/ protein 20 grams/ fiber 8 grams

I'm one of those cooks who dumps & tastes & add some more spices, so those are a guesstimate. My suggestion is to not add salt, until after you've added the cheese & then salt to taste. Add all ingredients to a stock pot, except for the 1/2 & 1/2. I just chiffonade the basil into small strips, so you don't have to blender the soup when you're done. I usually simmer the entire pot for an hour or longer, then add the 1/2 & 1/2 right at the end. It is absolutely delicious!!!

Chicken "Tortilla-less" Soup:

1 TBSP olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth, low sodium (I use Kitchen Basics, no added salt)
    1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, (**prefer fire-roasted tomatoes)
    8 oz. chicken breast*, shredded
    1 can Goya pinto bean, light (thoroughly rinse to decrease sodium)
    1-1/3 cups corn, frozen
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp red pepper
    1 TBSP cumin

*I use rotisserie chicken stripped from the carcass & chopped, it adds tons of wonderful flavor & make prep really easy!

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil. Add the remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30 minutes. Once again, I often add some extra cumin or a little chili powder, as I like some heat. May add garnishes such as avocado, tortilla strips & cheese. (Note: garnishes are NOT included in calorie count.) Serving size: 1 cup.

Nutrition Info/1 cup: calories 141 / fat 3 grams/ carbs 17 grams/ protein 12grams / fiber 5 grams
    (2 cup serving: calories 282 / fat 6 grams/ carbs 34 grams/ protein 24 grams / fiber 10 grams

I usually serve a 2 cup serving (double the calorie info) & add a little 2% Mexican Cheese mix & some fresh avocado cubes. You really don't need the tortilla strips, as the corn gives you the same flavor. A 2 cup serving is incredibly filling! If you want to add more for your hubbie or kids, serve with chips & fresh homemade guacamole, or make them a cheese quesadilla.

**I love the taste of fire-roasted tomatoes, so I use those, instead of plain tomatoes (I believe it's Hunt's brand). My sister has changed my recipe up a bit, and replaces the tomatoes with a jar of salsa, adds a whole jalapeño (remove at the end of cooking) & the juice of one lime. Both of our families love the soup & ask for it often!

Turkey & White Bean Chili:

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 cup Onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    20 ounces Lean Ground Turkey - 93% fat free (may use extra lean if desired)
    3 cups Chicken Broth, Low Sodium (33%)
    1 can Bush's Great Northern White Beans, thoroughly rinsed
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 tsp Chili Powder
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Oregano
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1/8 tsp Black Pepper
    1/8 tsp Sea Salt

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 412 / fat 16 grams/ carbs 27 grams/ protein 39 grams/ fiber 8 grams

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until translucent, then add meat & brown. Add remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30-60 minutes. Remove bay leaf prior to serving.

I just perfected an amazing Turkey & Cheese Tortellini this past weekend, but haven't gotten it written up yet. The first 3 are ready to print, as my nurses have be begging for the recipes.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I {heart} soup! I just tried this one a few weeks ago and can't wait to make it again...

Tomato soup with cannelini beans

2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    2 (15oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup light half and half

Heat olive oil in stock pot. Saute onions until translucent and starting to brown. Add garlic and saute 30sec. Add chicken stock/broth, tomatoes & beans. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add half and half and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve:)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've been making lots of chorizo, chickpea and cabbage soup recently (It may have cabbage in, but it's not 'cabbage soup'...). I fry the chorizo a bit to release the oil, then fry a finely chopped leek and some garlic until soft. I then slice a cabbage (I've used green and white cabbages), add the chickpeas and water and leave to boil away. I don't use stock, but you could obviously. I also add smoked paprika and sometimes chilli powder or cayenne if I fancy a kick. The quantities of the ingredients depend on how much you want to make.

My plan for tomorrow is a version of this - with Hungarian sausage and cannelini beans I'm cooking tonight in preparation.

Will also plan to do something soup based with a pumpkin I have.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I've been making lots of chorizo, chickpea and cabbage soup recently (It may have cabbage in, but it's not 'cabbage soup'...). I fry the chorizo a bit to release the oil, then fry a finely chopped leek and some garlic until soft. I then slice a cabbage (I've used green and white cabbages), add the chickpeas and water and leave to boil away. I don't use stock, but you could obviously. I also add smoked paprika and sometimes chilli powder or cayenne if I fancy a kick. The quantities of the ingredients depend on how much you want to make.

This sounds fantastic. I'm putting this one on my list, though I suspect I'll need to experiment a bit to get the flavour and texture right.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My soup of the week this week is bacon and bean. Fry up some onion and bacon, add 2 cans of cannelini beans, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes and add vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, cabbage and potatoes but you can use whatever you like. Season to taste - I used paprika, black pepper and Aromat. This works out at about 300 calories per bowl for me, but you can adjust quantities to meet your own macros.

this sounds really good :D

Next time I make it I'm going to add an extra can of tomatoes and chop my veg more finely. This week's pot is more of a stew than a soup, though it tastes great.
  • OurDilys
    OurDilys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here are some more from the Newcastle Diabetes Diet.

Carrot Soup
    Ingredients
    600 carrots, grated
    2 tsps cumin seeds
    Pinch of chilli flakes
    1litre vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 62 calories per portion

Vegetable soup
    Ingredients
    200g onions, chopped
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    320g leeks, sliced
    420g carrots, sliced
    2-3 tsp curry powder
    1.5 litres vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 88 calories per portion

Pea & Watercress Soup
    Ingredients
    100g onion, chopped
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    500ml vegetable stock
    300g peas
    100g watercress
    Makes 5 portions 71 calories per portion

Carrot & coriander soup
    Ingredients
    200g onion, chopped
    1 tsp ground coriander
    450g carrots, peeled & chopped
    1.5 litres vegetable stock
    Cumin seeds & chilli flakes
    Makes 5 portions 80 calories per portion

Red pepper & chilli soup
    Ingredients
    960g peppers, halved, cored, deseeded
    2 red chillies, halved, cored, with or without seeds
    3 cloves of garlic
    400g chopped tin tomatoes
    450ml vegetable stock
    Per 5 portions 82 calories

I hope these help you as they have me.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In for recipes.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Nigella Lawson has a really nice recipe called Sunshine Soup. It's mainly sweetcorn, so if you don't like sweetcorn then it's probably not for you. I will post a link to the actual recipe below but it's basically a lot of frozen sweetcorn cooked in stock with garlic oil roasted peppers added to it. It's all blitzed up and makes a very velvety medium thickness soup. Altogether it takes about 30 minutes to make. I've made it quite a few times and have added other vegetables I have left over or fried onions and it's still nice.

The recipe isn't on her official website but it's here about half way down the page: http://www.hungryandfrozen.com/2010/10/sunshine-is-friend-of-mine.html
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump !
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Soup (120 calories per cup)

1 bell pepper, chopped
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    2 (14.5 oz) cans of black beans (drained and rinsed)
    1.5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
    Juice from 1/2 lemon

Saute peppers, onion, celery in a pot until very soft. Add garlic and continue sauteing until fragrant (approx 30-60 seconds)

Put sauted mixture into a blender. Add 1/2 of 1 can of black beans. Puree until smooth. Add mixture back to pot along with the remaining 1 1/2 cans of beans and broth. Bring soup to a simmer, letting it simmer for at least ten minutes.

After taking the soup off the heat, stir in some lemon juice. This is optional, but the lemon juice really brightens the flavors

I recommend making this soup ahead of time. The flavors really marry and intensify when the soup has been sitting for a day r two.
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    In for recipes too :heart: