cleanse/detox questions to help a college student!

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is it a full moon?

The dubious practice of detox

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/The-dubious-practice-of-detox.shtml

The body’s own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

The bottom line

The human body can defend itself very well against most environmental insults and the effects of occasional indulgence. If you’re generally healthy, concentrate on giving your body what it needs to maintain its robust self-cleaning system — a healthful diet, adequate fluid intake, regular exercise, sufficient sleep, and all recommended medical check-ups.
    Yes.
    But do you think all these systems (above list is by no means exhaustive/comprehensive) work perfectly all the time? They don't ever become in some way hampered/limited/clogged, or whatever term could be applied to a particular system?

If your liver or kidneys ever become hampered/limited/clogged, you'll know it...because you'll be in the hospital.

And even if you don't, there is *nothing* you can eat/drink for any period of time that would fix the hampering/limiting/clogging anyhow.
    Thank-you for sharing your opinion.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it a full moon?

The dubious practice of detox

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/The-dubious-practice-of-detox.shtml

The body’s own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

The bottom line

The human body can defend itself very well against most environmental insults and the effects of occasional indulgence. If you’re generally healthy, concentrate on giving your body what it needs to maintain its robust self-cleaning system — a healthful diet, adequate fluid intake, regular exercise, sufficient sleep, and all recommended medical check-ups.
    Yes.
    But do you think all these systems (above list is by no means exhaustive/comprehensive) work perfectly all the time? They don't ever become in some way hampered/limited/clogged, or whatever term could be applied to a particular system?

If your liver or kidneys ever become hampered/limited/clogged, you'll know it...because you'll be in the hospital.

And even if you don't, there is *nothing* you can eat/drink for any period of time that would fix the hampering/limiting/clogging anyhow.
    Thank-you for sharing your opinion that is supported by irrefutable facts.

FIFY
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gummy bear cleanse!!!

Google it... It's available in a 5lb bag through Amazon. Very reasonably priced!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gummy bear cleanse!!!

Google it... It's available in a 5lb bag through Amazon. Very reasonably priced!

Oh Lord, run for the hills.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that they are bunk. Just make sure you're getting enough protein and a few servings of veggies, drink plenty of water, and don't worry about "cleansing" anything.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    another one???????????????

holy crap I think this is a record...

Plenty of people regretting eating that 20th Christmas cookie.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Please share your opinions and advice!

You won't like my advice. "Cleanse" and "Detox" products are 100% bull**** and a waste of your time, effort, and money.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    With the new year in sight, I really want to do a detox/cleanse to start my body off right. But I'm not sure where to start or what to do. I have heard of liquids you can swallow but all that does is give you the runs so I don't want that. I have also heard of 7 day juice cleanses but I don't think I will be able to start with that..I just don't think I can physically and mentally do that yet since I have had bad eating habits again lately and I have been eating a lot so to go from eating what I want when I want to juice for 7 days sounds awful.

My question is have any of you done a cleanse before? What are your opinions on cleanses? What do you recommend as a cleanse for a beginner? Also I am looking for something that is somewhat cheap ingredient wise since I am a college student :)

Also, I'm looking for more friends for motivation and for me to help motivate so if you want a new friend for the new year, here I am :D

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    With the new year in sight, I really want to do a detox/cleanse to start my body off right. But I'm not sure where to start or what to do. I have heard of liquids you can swallow but all that does is give you the runs so I don't want that. I have also heard of 7 day juice cleanses but I don't think I will be able to start with that..I just don't think I can physically and mentally do that yet since I have had bad eating habits again lately and I have been eating a lot so to go from eating what I want when I want to juice for 7 days sounds awful.

My question is have any of you done a cleanse before? What are your opinions on cleanses? What do you recommend as a cleanse for a beginner? Also I am looking for something that is somewhat cheap ingredient wise since I am a college student :)

Also, I'm looking for more friends for motivation and for me to help motivate so if you want a new friend for the new year, here I am :D

They all do that. Except some of them also make you cranky, whiz a lot, faintey, and mean.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

They all do that. Except some of them also make you cranky, whiz a lot, faintey, and mean.

Farty also. Let's not forget that.
  • sweet_chks
    sweet_chks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the easiest way to clean yourself out of toxins and certainly most cost effective, is what i am following on the advice of my naturopath. no caffeine, no sugars, no alcohol, no white starches and eliminate wheat if possible. start your day with a mug of warm lemon water (fresh lemon) this helps eliminate the toxins. Also, castor oil, rub it on your belly at night and apply a heating pad, this also helps to eliminate toxins from your lymphnodes. its alot easier than you think. and the rule of thumb for my meals is 75% vegees and 25% protein for lunch and dinner. my breakfast consists of a homemade muslix
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

You won't like my advice. "Cleanse" and "Detox" products are 100% bull**** and a waste of your time, effort, and money.

+1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the easiest way to clean yourself out of toxins and certainly most cost effective, is what i am following on the advice of my naturopath. no caffeine, no sugars, no alcohol, no white starches and eliminate wheat if possible. start your day with a mug of warm lemon water (fresh lemon) this helps eliminate the toxins. Also, castor oil, rub it on your belly at night and apply a heating pad, this also helps to eliminate toxins from your lymphnodes. its alot easier than you think. and the rule of thumb for my meals is 75% vegees and 25% protein for lunch and dinner. my breakfast consists of a homemade muslix

but you have to rub your head while rubbing your tummy, or it does not work, right?

isn't muslix cough medicine?
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I want some gummy bears now.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I ate 21....

And I LIKED it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

The next time you see your naturopath, please do me a favor and ask him/her for a short list of the top three toxins that are eliminated using this diet/castor oil plan. If you can't get three, see if you can get the name of one. Just one.

(That's what I've been searching for for so very long and you may have the connections necessary to finally end my quest. Please, please do this for me. Nay, not just for me, but for the children. Do this for the children.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

The next time you see your naturopath, please do me a favor and ask him/her for a short list of the top three toxins that are eliminated using this diet/castor oil plan. If you can't get three, see if you can get the name of one. Just one.

(That's what I've been searching for for so very long and you may have the connections necessary to finally end my quest. Please, please do this for me. Nay, not just for me, but for the children. Do this for the children.)

I think this is your holy grail jof….
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i think you are looking more for a "flushing out" of toxins not detox... since your body naturally detoxes itself as the 500 ppl have pointed out

you could go to your local health food store and buy a colon cleanse product or a liver cleansing product to get out toxins and food leftover in your colon/intestines, which is what i will be doing...

if you do a colon cleanse you will prob lose 5-10 pounds but some of this will be water weight so stay hydrated if you do this!!

after a colon cleanse i feel amazing and i notice a huge burst of energy so this is my recommended "detox" good luck
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This detox thread really isn't all that out of line. Plenty of college students end up in need of detox.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I ate 21....

And I LIKED it!

I like you.