Substitutions for Mayo in Tuna

Options
124»

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    PLAIN greek yogurt. I emphasize plain. I made that mistake once...

Heeheehee - and GREEK - I made that mistake more than once!
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A little cottage cheese. I love it. Breakstone has little 90 calorie cups.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So I'm looking for a substitute for mayo when I make my tuna. I'm not a fan of tuna just by itself. I really don't know how I feel about light mayo or miracle whip. I'm not totally against them, just never have tried them. I welcome all ideas! Thanks so much!
    This may sound weird, but I put homemade salsa in my tuna instead of mayo. It's SOOO good.

THIS.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    Have you tried the olive Oil Mayo?
    i love the one with Peppercorns in it.
  • BIGREDNM
    Options
    Miracle Whip Lite only 20 calories per serving, and taste great too .:smile:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to have light mayonnaise, but it's basically just watered-down mayonnaise, although some are simply full of chemicals to make up for the lack of fat and flavor. I recommend canola mayonnaise instead; that's what I use and it's got some healthy monounsaturated fats from canola oil with the taste and consistency of mayonnaise.

For tuna salad, one of my favorite recipes has a combination of plain yogurt (it suggests low-fat) and olive oil, which is delicious! Since where in the Recipes forum, here's a recipe for Tuscan Tuna Salad Sandwiches from the 400 Calorie Cookbook, one of my favorite cookbooks.

Tuscan Tuna Salad Sandwich - 4 servings (340 calories/10g fat/1.5g sat fat/620mg sodium/43g carb/8g fiber/21g protein/15% dv calcium)

Combine the following for tuna salad:
    6 oz can water-packed light tuna, drained
    15-19 oz can small white beans, rinsed and drained ~ i use cannellini
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup dry-pack sun-dried tomatoes ~ if they're packed in oil, reduce oil by a bit
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots ~ sometimes i omit; i suppose reg. onion could work for a milder flavor
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice ~ i always omit, and it isn't to dry!
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt

Divide salad evenly into 4 6.5" whole wheat pitas, cut crosswise in half. Add 2 tablespoons shredded romaine lettuce to each sandwich and enjoy!

Although it can get a bit messy because it's pretty wet, this recipe is fairly portable.
  • esai465
    esai465 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the calorie-free mayo from Walden Farms? I was really skeptical at first and I think in some uses it may not compare to the real thing but I tried it in tuna salad (added relish and olives for additional flavor) and it was great. Added the creaminess I like (I normally have a hard time not using ALOT of mayo). See website below and description of the product. They also have new flavored mayos...

http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/mayo.html

It’s a Amazin'! Great Taste, No Calories. How do we do it? Rich Natural Flavors. Walden Farms NEW AMAZIN' MAYO made “The Walden Way” is the delicious alternative to high calorie, high fat spreads. Walden Farms Amazin' MAYO is made with lemon juice, cider vinegar and natural fresh flavors, yet has no calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind. Switch & Save up to 600 calories preparing tuna, egg, chicken, macaroni or potato salad! Delicious on sandwiches or use to make your favorite dip.
    Switch and save hundreds of calories every time, ”The Walden Way.”
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Dijonaisse if you can find it! I always have to go to a couple stores lately. It's like creamy mustard but still very low calorie.

I also like tuna plain, sprinkled with lemon juice and lots of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Honestly, don't knock it unless you try it! When I do it this way I don't squeeze out as much of the water from the can as I would if I was mixing it with something else.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I like tuna packed in sunflower oil :smile: I just add relish and mustard to my tuna sammies

Where do you buy this and what brand is it? I swear it's impossible to find oil packed tuna lately!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with mayo? Why do you need a substitute ?

I don't eat tuna, but my homemade EVOO mayo is delicious and goes on just about anything savoury :)
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sri racha
  • tanyaqbess
    Options
    Italian Salad dressing (low or non fat) will add just a little kick without making it heavy.
  • MollMoll821
    MollMoll821 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and mention Lemonaise...Im not a fan of Mayo but in my house we all love this stuff!
    http://www.qbfoods.com/lemonaise.html#garlicherblemonaise
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use apples and lettuce.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options