how can I get my dad to be healthier?

Options
2»

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Wellllllll if your mom does the cooking its quite simple to make them lose without even knowing … hubby has lost 15 lbs - My 13 yr old has lost 20 lbs and is not dieting …Just because of what I put on the table for them .

I pack the fridge with fresh fruits and veggies , always have freezer full of fresh meats - get rid of the junk like chips/cookies/sodas

Juices without added sugars are okay to use but if you know they drink lots of it like my 13 yr old --- what I do is dilute it with water … They never know the difference

here is the trick I use …. If I make a roast beef , I will make a mock cauliflower mash for the side (for the family I add in a potato and believe me they never knows that they are eating mostly cauliflower ) add a large salad and another side of veggies like string beans .

make pots of creamed soups with cauliflower/broccoli /carrots/squash /cabbage -- just about any veggie puree season with boullion and instead of heavy cream add powdered non fat milk with some water and add it in the soup - filling and he will never know its healthy for him.

I try to avoid putting bread/rice or pastas on the dinner table - I leave that for lunches.

for summer treats I make my own pops with 1/2 a mix of the powdered nonfat milk mixed with water and 1/2 of Orange juice without added sugars .. They love them and are very healthy

Those are just a few ideas
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how old are you ? are you married?

it's kind of crappy but saying something like "i want you to be alive and healthy enough to walk me down the aisle. please let me help you get healthy" might do the trick.

i think most parents/grandparents would be really touched by their kids and grandkids basically telling them they dont want tthem to die from their behavior. that + big eyes is how i got my grandmother who as a die hard pry these cigs from my cold, dead hands smoker t stop smoking for the last 25 years of her life.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Talking about food, you may want to check out this book: http://amzn.to/19FqgWc

These guys (The Hairy Bikers) are big into food and work out ways of cooking lower calorie versions of traditional food. Eg instead of using lasagne pasta, they boil leeks until they're really soft then layer them like lasagne sheets.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    come at him with an Iron fist and crush him into submission

Yeah that's probably a better way to go :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

honestly that's probably what it'd take. Anyone seen Tony Stark recently? ooonly kidding.

FWIW, Iron Fist was Danny Rand. Tony Stark was Ironman. :tongue: :ohwell:

I struggle with the same issue with my sister and with almost all of my wife's family. I've tried the subtle hints, I've tried being blunt. The only thing I can control is what gets served in my house, so I stick to moderately healthy things and make sure I measure out a proper portion on my plate when they come visit.

And I've simply come to the conclusion that I can't want it for them. If they want it, they'll do it. Otherwise, nothing else will get them started.

darn. oh well. same idea, they both have iron xD
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Yeah.. thing is, he should have had that 'moment' when he had a stroke last year.

Crikey.

He should be made aware that chances are the next one will be the sort that permanently floors you. And it's more likely to happen if he's already had a stroke (but obviously not guaranteed, nor will losing weight guarantee that he will not get a stroke).

If he likes his food, then he should also be made aware that the next stroke could result in him eating liquidised food for the next 20 years of his life. Assuming it's not so bad that swallowing is impossible and he requires a tube to pump liquid food into his stomach.

I've worked with stroke victims. It's an awful disease. Light strokes can be overcome with physio. Full on strokes can be with you until you die but it doesn't necessarily kill you and you can end up living with the result for years. As an example, I managed to get one lady to pick up a small beanbag and throw it but that took about 2 months of regular training.
    Talking about food, you may want to check out this book: http://amzn.to/19FqgWc

I know, he was really lucky to have gotten back up and out of the hospital so quick but next time it may not be like that.
    also, thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out