Fat down, but lbs up?

Options
2»

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The scale said I have gone down in fat content

My stomach is looking a bit leaner that it was and I can feel muscle in my stomach

Great work. Just ignore the scale, you are gaining muscle. Have you tried measurements?
    the OP is not gaining muscle if she is only eating the amount of calories she'd need if she were in a coma.

OP as noted those scales can be inaccurate, something as slight as how much water you are retaining will cause a difference in fat measured

^This. And stuffs. Otherwise, I wish to know secre5s and such
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Highly doubtful. It can take 2-3 months for a female to put on 1-2lbs of muscle mass, plus (unless the op isn't fully tracking), isn't eating nearly enough to put that much mass on.

When did you "clean up your diet"?

Are you logging it accurately?

Otherwise, 1-2 lb fluctuation in body weight is quite normal.

I started squatting the bar in October, today I squat 200lbs.

Pretty sure I have gained more than 1 - 2 lbs of muscle mass
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Highly doubtful. It can take 2-3 months for a female to put on 1-2lbs of muscle mass, plus (unless the op isn't fully tracking), isn't eating nearly enough to put that much mass on.

When did you "clean up your diet"?

Are you logging it accurately?

Otherwise, 1-2 lb fluctuation in body weight is quite normal.

I started squatting the bar in October, today I squat 200lbs.

Pretty sure I have gained more than 1 - 2 lbs of muscle mass

Strength gain =/= muscle gain

Edited to fix quotes.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Angel_Cake25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the scale was "too good to be true" when it came to the fat content. Weight loss is a process, my diary is open to those who want to read it. I never said I am a saint, so don't get it twisted. Learning to eat clean is difficult process, especially when you are on a lower income budget. Thank you.

You do not have to eat 'clean" to lose weight. Try to eat to a reasonable caloric deficit, with the majority of your diet comprising nutrient dense foods. Treats and non-whole foods are fine as long as you are getting a good amount of micronutrients from your diet and your macros are reasonable.

Try to be as accurate as possible with your intake. Weigh your food where possible and log everything.
    This is thrown back and forth on the site. Half say only 'clean foods' the other half say just eat at a deficit. I do try to stick to vegetables/veggies/etc. But the reality of the situation is that in the United States they are rather expensive. I usually get frozen ones because they are cheaper, but the facts remain that with our messed up system its cheaper to buy potato chips than apples. I am lucky to have some financial stability, but the facts remain that I am a grad student with other money responsibilities. I can't go buy a bushel of organic apples or buy a huge slab of salmon every week. Shaking my head. I do my best, but people need to also understand that to eat "completely clean" in this country is also connected to economic standing.

Did you read my comment correctly? I did not say to eat clean and I did not say to just eat at a deficit. I said, try to get nutrient dense foods for a good portion of your diet - you were the one who brought up 'trying to eat clean'. Foods do not have to be organic or fresh to be nutrient dense. Frozen and even processed is fine.

My point was/is...don't get caught up in extremes.
    Wow. Chill out a bit. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that's been something that has been very back and forth on this website clean v. not clean eating or what ever. I agree, nutrient foods are key.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    This is thrown back and forth on the site. Half say only 'clean foods' the other half say just eat at a deficit. I do try to stick to vegetables/veggies/etc. But the reality of the situation is that in the United States they are rather expensive. I usually get frozen ones because they are cheaper, but the facts remain that with our messed up system its cheaper to buy potato chips than apples. I am lucky to have some financial stability, but the facts remain that I am a grad student with other money responsibilities. I can't go buy a bushel of organic apples or buy a huge slab of salmon every week. Shaking my head. I do my best, but people need to also understand that to eat "completely clean" in this country is also connected to economic standing.

YES. Eating clean is greatly affected by one's social status, where one lives, how much money one earns, and other resources available. Thankfully, you can do things to help even it out a little. I have been super poor, and made my own tortillas, dried beans, rice, and used inexpensive protein sources to help make sure I was getting my nutrition. But it does require a lot of time, a lot of planning, and some investment, and those are also things that a lot of folks just don't have.

A few things that might help:
    -Is there a coop nearby that has better quality foods at a discount for members (especially if there is a work requirement for members, such as 8 hours/month)?
    -Community gardens can give folks a place to grow some of their own veggies, which can be frozen or canned at home. I'm trying to explore growing my own stuff at home, and next spring I am going to be putting some old plastic buckets out under my south-facing windows to try growing tomatoes.
    -Ask at the farmers market if they have "seconds"; these are often windblown, bruised, or otherwise unattractive fruits and veggies that are still high quality and edible, just not pretty enough to sell for full price. I paid $20 for a full bushel of apples; I got 36 half pints of apple butter, two apple pies, and still have a bunch of apples (frozen) left to put up as jam.
    -Whatever you can make ahead, do. I've started baking bread with the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day recipe; it's cheaper, I can add whatever I want to it (seeds, parmesan cheese, you name it), and I know exactly what went into it. I also use my crock pot a lot for beans & rice meals.
    Those are great ideas. Thank you. The farmers markets are kinda shut down around here in the winter. But I will look into that come spring.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the scale was "too good to be true" when it came to the fat content. Weight loss is a process, my diary is open to those who want to read it. I never said I am a saint, so don't get it twisted. Learning to eat clean is difficult process, especially when you are on a lower income budget. Thank you.

You do not have to eat 'clean" to lose weight. Try to eat to a reasonable caloric deficit, with the majority of your diet comprising nutrient dense foods. Treats and non-whole foods are fine as long as you are getting a good amount of micronutrients from your diet and your macros are reasonable.

Try to be as accurate as possible with your intake. Weigh your food where possible and log everything.

Did you read my comment correctly? I did not say to eat clean and I did not say to just eat at a deficit. I said, try to get nutrient dense foods for a good portion of your diet - you were the one who brought up 'trying to eat clean'. Foods do not have to be organic or fresh to be nutrient dense. Frozen and even processed is fine.

Wow. Chill out a bit. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that's been something that has been very back and forth on this website clean v. not clean eating or what ever. I agree, nutrient foods are key.

She wasn't getting snarky, she was clarifying since you misunderstood her previous comment.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options

Have you ever tried to buy in bulk? Especially the meats...Then cut it down to size or like with chop meat freeze half of it? I started buying in bulk for chicken breast about a year ago and now doing it for other things as well to save on money towards the end of the month when I cant always spend those few extra dollars...I also buy frozen veggies to save as well
    I will look into that, buying in bulk. Thank you. Hopefully someday I will be able to buy a house and have my own garden lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What? Chill out? Really? . Maybe you should be clearer with your comments. And how on earth did you read that I was thinking you were attacking me? I was clarifying and making sure you read my comments correctly as your response indicated you had not.

Good luck with your gurney.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options

She wasn't getting snarky, she was clarifying since you misunderstood her previous comment.
    That's how it sounded, and if I misunderstood I apologize Sarauk2sf. I didn't misunderstand, I understood it clearly, I was just commenting on how this website goes back and forth on this issue, but people fail to realize the expenses of healthy living.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options

What? Chill out? Really? . Maybe you should be clearer with your comments. And how on earth did you read that I was thinking you were attacking me? I was clarifying and making sure you read my comments correctly as your response indicated you had not.

Good luck with your gurney.
    I am sorry, Sarauk2sf. I misunderstood your intent. Thank you for your comments and advice.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

That's how it sounded, and if I misunderstood I apologize Sarauk2sf. I didn't misunderstand, I understood it clearly, I was just commenting on how this website goes back and forth on this issue, but people fail to realize the expenses of healthy living.

Well, the issue isn't really about what is better for weight loss as both sides concede that you can lose weight effectively with or without eating clean. And the arguement is about eating "clean" 100% of the time versus 80%, so not much differenxe anyway. But I digress.

Also, "healthy eating" doesnt need to be expensive, unless you are, for whatever reason, trying to eat only organic veggies and fruits and/or grass-fed, free range meats. I spend between $100-150 on food per month, so *shrug*.