KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    bet I can go real fast right now,
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It really depends what's chasing me!

This.

I busted up my knees a couple months ago trying to get faster than I was apparently designed for. So no more running for me, at least for awhile. I think I managed an 8 minute one day. Might have been ten, though. I'm short. I wasn't looking at my watch, I was RUNNING!
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am about 11 mins (Do a 5k in 30 mins so I think that is right? I'm an aussie and not used to miles)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started at just over 11:30. Best time ever: 8:34. It took about a year. I was switching back and forth from the treadmill and arc-trainer (not running everyday). Running a mile in under 10 mins was my first goal, 9 mins was the second goal, under 9, and then 8 and a half. 8:34 is close enough for me!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    From 9 to 10 minute miles.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I am about 11 mins (Do a 5k in 30 mins so I think that is right? I'm an aussie and not used to miles)

With a 30 min 5k, you can probably do a 8:00ish 1 mile.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 min miles are pretty fast. In fact Olympic marathon runners MEN..run 4:50 pace...women run sub 6..in the 5:45 range. These are amazing athletes who spend their entire lives training and have been running fast always. To drop from a 15 minute mile to a 5 or 6 min mile is unlikely (nothing is impossible)

This is not to discourage you in the slightest. Once you can run 4-5 miles without stopping, add some speed work and shorter into your workouts and I am sure if you really really want to you can drop some significant time. As you work you will find a goal that is more appropriate for you.

I have been a runner my whole life. After having kids I was running comfortably in the 9-10 min range. Now that I train with a goal of runner faster i can run a single mile in the 6:50 range, a 5K in the 7:20 (working on getting that a bit faster) and a 10K in jus in the sub 8's. My true life goal is to run a marathon pace of 8:35/mile
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    the fastest pace I have ever tried is 6:10 but only for 90 seconds; for a whole mile the fastest I have run was 7 minutes...

I am not a fast runner but I can run long, like 14 mile long without much training but my pace was very poor...no plan on running half or full marathon, however...I take up running for fun.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I run between a 10.5 and 11 minute mile. I've been running for years and I think the best I got was a ten minute mile, or perhaps it was a 9.5 minute mile.
    I'm quoting myself because I am proud to say that I can now run an approximate 10 minute mile (10.02 or thereabouts).
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I run between 4.5-5 miles everyday at an average pace of 8.5 minutes but the fastest I've ever run a mile is around 7.5 minutes. I'm slowly but surely working my way up to that endurance wise.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Walk in 15-20/Run 8mins.

I built endurance running in increments... 30 mins: Walk 5mins run 30 secs...4.5mins 1min...4mins 1.5mins and so forth
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I went running for the first time 3 days ago. I did 1 mile in 11 mins 24 seconds. I'm going to do a 5k tomorrow...lets hope I can do it all without having to stop/walk! I'll do my best! :)
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile is 4 minutes and 37 seconds. 5K I run at 7 min miles for a total of around 21 minutes. My maximum speed is 17 mph, but that's a short sprint. I wish I could maintain that speed. I'm 6'4, so my strides are longer than most.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I usually run 2 miles at 10 min mile, but if I was just running 1 mile and feeling good I could probably do it in maybe in 7 mins, 7 mins for a single mile is considered pretty average even though most people don't run that fast, I could keep up the 10 min mile for longer than 2 miles and it's getting easier. I'm not really a runner though, don't enjoy it, and don't try particualrly hard on it, I just do it to burn the calories and get in shape.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile ever was 7:50, my 1/2 Marathon PR was done at 9:50, Marathon was avg of about 12 something due to injury half way through.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    According to Endomondo my PB is 8m43s. I'm in my last week of C25K. I'm hoping to do a half marathon in November in 1h45m or less which means I have to get my 21km pace to 8m per mile. Ten months doesn't seem like a long time when you look at it that way.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To put your goal into perspective, the First Night Saratoga (NY) 5k had 1250 finishers, and the winner ran a 5:01 split. The first female finisher had a 5:52 split.

While not impossible, that's a pretty lofty goal. I'd take it in chunks. If you're starting out at 16 min/mi, aim for 10. Once you're at 10, aim for 8. Once you're at 8, try 7 then 6.

I run about an 8 minute mile. Puts me in the beginning third of the pack, and sometimes I even place in my age group :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Good luck

I started about 4 or 5 months ago - just walking everywhere to start with as fast as I could. I then started to run a bit. I just completed a 7.5 mile run (very hilly) without stopping and I can run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

To run longer you need to go slow and push yourself further.
    To run faster you need to do shorter runs but go faster in them.

It is really worth getting a cheap Heart rate monitor and training with one of these as it allows you look itself while you train.

I also do a lot of different forms of training - I am training for a Tri so I swim and bike a lot. This allows me to get fitter quicker while reducing my chances of over training injury:-)

Good luck , you can do it. you really can. Make sure this is for life not just for halfway into January :-) take it easy to start with and don't hurt yourself too much so you won't start to avoid it :-)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    how fast?

it all depends on what's chasing me or what i'm chasing. :wink: