Traditional New Years day food

2»

Replies

• AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    ....going with Aspirin and H2O?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    this is going to be the first year since i was born that i wont be having black eye peas, cabbage, greens, fried chicken and corn bread on new year's day.

i do plan on having it over the weekend though :happy:

another tradition i like is Swedish. they eat lots of seafood on new year's day especially lobster
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Coffee, but that's more of a daily tradition for me.
  • All the people saying how you spend your New Year's day sets the tone for your entire year is depressing me... I am currently at work (granted, I'm not actually WORKING....), so it's gonna be a gloomy year!

As far as food - gotta get as much luck in as possible! Pork (in this case, ham), collard greens, black eyed peas. Also sweet potatoes, which I do not think are a good luck food, but they should be, given how amazing they are.

Also, coffee, water, and ibuprofen, but that has more to do with last night than today's activities.

Edited for a typo
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    On New Year's day, it is traditional to eat leftovers, same as Christmas...

Traditional food for New Year's Eve (and Christmas Eve) would be sour cabbage rolls (didn't have any this year), sour cabbage with sour cream, fried sausage and beef salad (usually made with chicken).
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Chinese food and my grandmother used to come over and throw wheat around the room, LOL
    :laugh:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Black-eyed peas, sauerkraut (= cabbage). I don't eat meat, so don't do the pork.
    As far as other traditions go, I follow my grandmother, who unfortunately did not throw wheat around the room, but put new shoes and new money outside the door just before midnight. Supposed to bring you the same in the New Year.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    It's all about the sauerkraut today.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Sauerkraut, pork, hot dogs, and kielbasa here, with mashed potatoes. I originate from northwestern PA and that's our traditional New Year's dinner!
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Black-eyed peas for luck.
  • CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    My mom always makes.... a second turkey dinner! lol.
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    pork tenderloin and kraut
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    It usually starts off with strong black coffee then wing it from there.

Same here. No standard traditional food. Just another normal day here. I might make up a batch of chicken soup...
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Along with the traditional pork and sauerkraut, with both me and my husband both being runners we always bring in the new year with a nice run together.