Quick! Grocery Help?!

Options
2»

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Does it taste like almonds or milk? [This is a serious question - I like almonds, but not milk!]

Meat is just not for me - I do not enjoy the way it tastes; it takes forever to chew; I don't know how to cook it; too expensive; the list goes on.

What sort of vegtables do you suggest? I probably eat an entire white onion a day, plus a bussel of green, and plenty of red. I really like onion.

I don't even know what half of those things are.. What's a beetroot? Just a beet? Capsicum? I don't even think I can pronouce that. I have ten pounds of potatos, but I seem to always burn them. How do I cook them without burning them?

So, in theory, I could make like a stir fry with lentils? Lentils plus my usual suspects - olive, onion, garlic - this sounds promising. Maybe some fish, too.

You think if I have one of those jumbo spaghetti pots I could cook an entire bag at once? I'd rather cook for six hours one day than cook six days for an hour.

I like butternut squash soup, which leads me to believe I like butternut squash.. I really will do my very best to work with rice - it is not something I like to eat, but I don't know why. Perhaps another case of I STILL REALLY AM A LOUSY COOK!!

God, I feel so dumb. How do you steam something?! So, in theory, I could make a salad with spinach, kale, and collards together, and just add a bunch of stuff? Yeah, calcium is one I struggle with - I really just like yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheese.. and ice cream. ;p

I will put Almond milk on the go back list. I hope it's good for smoothies?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Does it taste like almonds or milk? [This is a serious question - I like almonds, but not milk!]

It's a little hard to describe. It's creamy, for sure. It tastes like milk a bit, but has a nutty flavor to it. LOL! I can't really explain it.
    Definitely give it a try though. Like I said, I was super leery. I'm the opposite of you, honestly. I like milk. I hate nuts. I will not eat a peanut to save my life (except peanut butter, that's a different food group, lol). So I was skeptical with Almond Milk. But it really surprised me. Now, I love it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    bahaha I love grocery lists for men. Mine always looks the same way when I have to write one for the BF
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great for smoothies. I also love it with my cereal - it adds a nice nutty flavor.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Good list but skip the baby carrots and buy whole carrots. Baby carrots aren't really baby carrots plus they are treated with chlorine. They are waste carrots that couldn't be sold due to their shape, so the carrot farmer whittles them down in the "baby cut" style and then treats them with chlorine to keep them from spoiling since the skin has been whittled off. Just buy regular carrots. They taste better.

[/quote]

Good to know.. I buy these all the time.. had no idea. I knew they were just small cut regular carrots but had no clue they were treated with chemicals.
    Thanks for the tip!
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    how about some quinoa, lentils, beans, soy sauce, frozen veggies (mixed, stir fry blend, etc), frozen spinach, broccoli, cocoa (the real stuff)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Good list but skip the baby carrots and buy whole carrots. Baby carrots aren't really baby carrots plus they are treated with chlorine. They are waste carrots that couldn't be sold due to their shape, so the carrot farmer whittles them down in the "baby cut" style and then treats them with chlorine to keep them from spoiling since the skin has been whittled off. Just buy regular carrots. They taste better.

Good to know.. I buy these all the time.. had no idea. I knew they were just small cut regular carrots but had no clue they were treated with chemicals.
    Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I read this somewhere and it explained the taste (regular carrots taste better).

The big clue is the baby cut carrots have no skin. It has been removed so they have to be treated to keep from spoiling.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    couscous!!!!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Meat is just not for me - I do not enjoy the way it tastes; it takes forever to chew; I don't know how to cook it; too expensive; the list goes on.

What sort of vegtables do you suggest? I probably eat an entire white onion a day, plus a bussel of green, and plenty of red. I really like onion.

I don't even know what half of those things are.. What's a beetroot? Just a beet? Capsicum? I don't even think I can pronouce that. I have ten pounds of potatos, but I seem to always burn them. How do I cook them without burning them?

So, in theory, I could make like a stir fry with lentils? Lentils plus my usual suspects - olive, onion, garlic - this sounds promising. Maybe some fish, too.

You think if I have one of those jumbo spaghetti pots I could cook an entire bag at once? I'd rather cook for six hours one day than cook six days for an hour.

I like butternut squash soup, which leads me to believe I like butternut squash.. I really will do my very best to work with rice - it is not something I like to eat, but I don't know why. Perhaps another case of I STILL REALLY AM A LOUSY COOK!!

God, I feel so dumb. How do you steam something?! So, in theory, I could make a salad with spinach, kale, and collards together, and just add a bunch of stuff? Yeah, calcium is one I struggle with - I really just like yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheese.. and ice cream. ;p

OH MY, breath.

Take one new food or cooking technique and tackle it per week. You sound very overwhelmed. There's some great ideas here - but you come across like your head is spinning. Slow down, breath, and pick a thing or two - go from there. Find a cooking website to review techniques and try them - but not all at once.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I think you're the one that needs to go to the shops and check out the fresh produce section. Try new things - all the vegies I suggested are standard vegies, nothing fancy!

To me, a stir fry would be a rainbow of colour - carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, capsicum (pepper?), asparagus, celery, bean shoots etc. use loads of fresh herbs and spices - garlic, chili, ginger, coriander etc - with a little soy sauce or oyster sauce. Serve it with fish, rice or noodles if you need more carbs, add some nuts (cashews or peanuts) for fat....

Salad - start basic. As few handfuls of greens, add tomato, cucumber, olives, capsicum, red onion, feta, balsamic vinegar and EVOO...
    There are so many amazing salad combos!

Don't be afraid if food because you haven't tried it much, or don't know how to cook it. Do you have a mum, girlfriend or friends that could help you with some basic cooking lessons....you sound like you could burn water!!