How many times are you gonna do DAY 1 over again?

Options
I'm not talking about having a bad day or weekend, I'm talking about restarting DAY 1 over again after giving up after a week, a month, or 6 months? Is your attitude really different this time or are you just gonna take another shot and see what happens?
Just something to think about as this new year gets started.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes...and then some more!! For some people it is VERY hard to make that change...but as the old proverb says "if at first you dont succeed...try, try, try again"!!!!...brilliant as relevant now as it was when first written. One day that 'try' will lead to success...so keep trying folks :-)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Never.

There is no day 1.

There is only life and how you choose to live it. A healthy lifestyle has a start - birth and a finish - death.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Day one over and over again stops when they realize that they won't ever be prefect but being consistent is key. One bad day won't screw up a whole year but so many get in the mind set that "crap its Tues I had a bad breakfast now this day is screwed.. My whole week is messed up (after said bad day) .. Oh well day one starts next Monday!"
  • slimminglin
    Options
    Every day is the first day of the rest of your lifef.
    When i stopped smoking I kept on stopping until I was not smoking more than smoking and eventually I haven't smoked in years.

My body is important and everyday I will try and do the best i can feeding myself good food and exercising well.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have only ever had one 'Day 1', which was the day I decided to change. I weighed in yesterday to find I'd gained a whopping 17lb over the last three months, as I fell well and truly off the wagon. Yesterday, I just finally got back on.
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have done day one so many time I have lost count, that's one thing I do, very rare I start the day bad with bad food, its as the day progresses like the evenings that kill me. I will never give up and everyday is a new day to me, I am now 62 and been trying to lose weight now for 43 yrs and will never throw in the towel or will mean certain death for me, must keep going.

The most I have lost is 126 lb and gained back 58 lb, but still trying to get these off and more besides, its a constant battle, but I treat every day as a new day and try not to think of the past.

MFP is the best thing I have found, I have a few friends and would like a few more in the same position as me and thinking you are never too old. Thanks for listening Sue
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    As many as it takes...

For some its not a lot at all, for others its many...but its not over until its done.
  • huv123
    huv123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have done it many times, but this time I know in my heart that this will be the last time, and I have already done it.

I have never gone this long or felt this good before. All the things that I have heard before (eat less empty calories, move more, you don't need gimmicks or fad plans, just one food in front of the other) has finally come together for me. Even though I knew it intellectually before, I just didn't feel it in my "soul".

But If I do fall off track, each mouthful is a new opportunity to make good decisions for myself. In my head though a major failure is no longer an option. I have wasted a lot of my life worrying about my body, my diet, feeling miserable and that is just sad to me.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Even if I go off track it's not like day one to me. I may gain a couple pounds but nothing crazy.
  • str160
    str160 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just make better food choices, try to avoid cravings(they do subside), drink plenty of water.

A better way I think than doing a 3month/week/whatever crash course diet is this= Today is the start of the rest of your life. Make it a better one.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about having a bad day or weekend, I'm talking about restarting DAY 1 over again after giving up after a week, a month, or 6 months? Is your attitude really different this time or are you just gonna take another shot and see what happens?

IDEA Fitness member
    so you're telling people not to bother unless they are 100% sure? What a strange attitude from a personal trainer. Even failure is useful from failure you learn from yourself. By trying and even failing you are doing more than most people. You do not give up or not start something because there is chance of failure otherwise no one would even bother to get out of bed failure should be accepted for what it teaches and in the knowledge that from failure comes success
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    so you're telling people not to bother unless they are 100% sure? What a strange attitude from a personal trainer. Even failure is useful from failure you learn from yourself. By trying and even failing you are doing more than most people. You do not give up or not start something because there is chance of failure otherwise no one would even bother to get out of bed failure should be accepted for what it teaches and in the knowledge that from failure comes success

No I think the idea is to give up the day one start over. The idea is not to start over a diet every time you make a mistake but to change your eating and exercise habits for good. Then there is no start over, you just continue on with your healthy lifestyle.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Lets hope today is my last...
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Give them credit... it's those new year resolutions kicking in... gym's finalize their yearly budget with a lot of fancy dressed people who eventually disappear for the remaining 11 months till the next membership!
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    Every day is the first day of the rest of your lifef.
    When i stopped smoking I kept on stopping until I was not smoking more than smoking and eventually I haven't smoked in years.

My body is important and everyday I will try and do the best i can feeding myself good food and exercising well.

I gave up smoking the same way - "never give up giving up" - and I'm applying the same thinking to weight loss. I don't care how many times I slip back into my old eating habits, I WILL carry on trying to change them and my lifestyle. This isn't a fad, it's a lifelong change - just as giving up smoking was all those years ago.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    We all started from somewhere. For me it took 3 restarts.

The first two times I lost weight too fast, it was not sustainable and I did not have the proper tools or knowledge.

The third time around I had enough. I did my own research on the science behind weight/fat loss, joined forums and got to work. I had a lot of trial and errors (like trying different workouts and foods). Some like I liked, some I didn't like but I figured out what worked for me and everything I am doing I can do for the rest of my life unlike the other two times.

I feel like we all have our own paths and some journeys takes longer than others.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Isn't everyday DAY1? That is how I look at it. I will do it at least today. Then as the Day 1's string together the health improves and weight goes down.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes!

I can't tell you how many times I've 'restarted' the lifting program I've tried to get through for a couple years now. But you know what, I started day ONE over Monday.

& I'm ok with that.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It took me 3xs as well...First 2 I wasnt eating at a deficit but this time around I am and I plan on it being my last
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    100% agreed ! Striking out is part of the game, after all. We humans are very fallible. It's the determination and courage to keep going in the face of failure that makes us win it. I can't say for certain what the OP is trying to say but it kind of had a bad ring to it. Keep on truckin'.