How do you record your weight training?

Options

Replies

• needtogetfit932
    Options
    For lifting I usually use bodybuilding.com. It doesn't connect to MFP, but it's the best tracker for lifting that I can find.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it sounds like JEFIT it is. One their forums they posted that they hope to integrate with MFP some day. I really hate putting in everything twice. I guess logging as general weight training is fine. Thanks everyone!

TBH the calorie burn is pretty inconsequential. Anyone using a HRM to try to log exercise calories for strength training should stop; it's pretty well never going to be accurate. If you're looking to bulk, just decide on a set amount to eat extra on training days. If you're looking to cut, just log a generic MFP 60 minutes of "strength training" as cardio.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    For lifting I usually use bodybuilding.com. It doesn't connect to MFP, but it's the best tracker for lifting that I can find.

I tried really hard to like bb.com's tracking site cause their bodyspace setup is so sweet, but I find it convoluted and insanely overcomplicated.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and track it as strength training under cardio.

This might be inaccurately calculating calories burned (for better or for worse lol). HRM are meant for running or cycling, meaning that the "calories burned" algorithm they use assumes consistent long term leg work. The farther you get from that model, the farther you get from an accurate number.

Granted if it's working for you who cares right? lol But if you're having inconsistencies in your weight loss/calorie calculations, this could be one reason.
    I tried really hard to like bb.com's tracking site cause their bodyspace setup is so sweet, but I find it convoluted and insanely overcomplicated.

I know right??!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to record the calories or keep track of your sets/reps/weight?

For recording calories, I just use the MFP "strength training" entry under Cardio.

FOr recording my sets/reps- I'm old school, I made my own paper log and use a half-size clipboard. I like being able to page through and see my past workouts on paper.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It's been said before but if you are looking to track your weights from workout to workout, there is no competitor for the JEFIT app. Its far and away the best in the biz IMO.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit to track the actual weights, then just enter the total time under cardio on MFP (search Strength Training).
    ^^This
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

For recording calories, I just use the MFP "strength training" entry under Cardio.

FOr recording my sets/reps- I'm old school, I made my own paper log and use a half-size clipboard. I like being able to page through and see my past workouts on paper.

^ This. To the letter. I like being able to scribble notes next to certain lifts aka Half-Blood Prince.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

^ This. To the letter. I like being able to scribble notes next to certain lifts aka Half-Blood Prince.

JEFIT has a note feature for each lift. Get out of the dark ages Hermoine.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I use an excel spreadsheet. I have routines and lifting logs going back years this way, and before that, paper logs.

I record the weight training as cardio here, but I also will enter my work sets/ weights for each lift under strength training.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

JEFIT has a note feature for each lift. Get out of the dark ages Hermoine.

jSd6d28.gif
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Now that is old school. I loved logging my workouts on spreadsheets before smartphones came along.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you rest between sets, or whether you do super sets, you can use Circuit Training.
    I always do super sets: rotating through 2 to 4 lifts per set minimize rest.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit to track the actual weights, then just enter the total time under cardio on MFP (search Strength Training).

This is exactly what I do.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I use bodybuilding.com for tracking my workouts. Just log my minutes worked on here
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I use Excel to calculate the pounds I should be lifting, and then print it out and take it with me to the gym. I print out a month at a time, so it's not as much of a pain as it sounds. I just fill in the blanks with how much weight I actually used and how many reps I was able to complete.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

^^^ Me too. But, I take a solid chunk of time between sets, so I only log 1/2 the cals burned.

My notes in the margins are a mix of happy faces, sad faces, and the occasional curse word. App developers don't seem to take into account my doodle-needs.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I simply use MFP - cardio section there is a strength training , weight lifting - I just put in the time
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    use a polar watch to monitor for a week's work of lifting days. come up with your average. not going to be perfect but better than not logging at all.

i sweat my *kitten* off doing cardio. i do super sets and little rest for 45 minutes so def burning calories there
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I use Fitocracy. I like leveling up :drinker: