HELP! How can I kick my sugar addiction?

Options

Replies

• laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a more sensible sugar-fix food :-) I've found that frozen grapes are delicious! They are very sweet and also give that cold satisfaction, similar to ice cream. Someone else mentioned frozen banana, which can also work well.

If you do for some reason decide to have ice cream in your home, Please buy the little tiny individual serving size one instead of the pint... if you know that you'll eat the whole thing once you open it, then make the "whole thing" a much smaller thing :-)

I'd really avoid keeping things like Oreos in your home at all... as others have pointed out, it's hard to impulse-eat something that's not there!

I personally have found myself feeling much healthier, and having fewer cravings, as I've been eating more natural and less processed foods. I'm not 100% on this, but I've probably cut out about 90% of the processed foods I used to eat, and I do feel healthier both mentally and physically since doing so.

Best of luck to you :-)
  • adayinaz
    adayinaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got hungry mid-morning and had a cup of tea (I don't add sugar or milk to tea) and it held me over to the point that I *just* noticed that it's 1:40 and I haven't eaten lunch yet!

For the people who say "just don't buy it" - I know, I hear your point, but my husband gets them for himself and he can get away with eating that crap since he gets 1,000 more calories daily than me. I might just give him a cabinet to keep his snacks in (and a spot in the freezer) and just never look at that stuff. It'll help until he's eating it right in front of me.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and there is no reliable documentation of sugar addiction in humans. Unless you have a medical condition, you can eat all types of foods and there is no reason to permanently eliminate items. If your goal is to lose weight, the only thing you need is a calorie deficit. Many times, people set unreasonable goals that do not teach them anything about making major behavior changes.

Read this link and all of the links in it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

+1
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I got hungry mid-morning and had a cup of tea (I don't add sugar or milk to tea) and it held me over to the point that I *just* noticed that it's 1:40 and I haven't eaten lunch yet!

For the people who say "just don't buy it" - I know, I hear your point, but my husband gets them for himself and he can get away with eating that crap since he gets 1,000 more calories daily than me. I might just give him a cabinet to keep his snacks in (and a spot in the freezer) and just never look at that stuff. It'll help until he's eating it right in front of me.

If you're going to succeed at this then you need a change of mindset-there's always going to be other people around you eating different foods. Right now my kids are finishing off the last of the Christmas candy, 10 feet away from me. That means nothing to me. I have absolutely no emotion either way towards all that candy, because I've learned that I control food, it no longer controls me. Like other mentioned-learn portion sizes, eat the foods you enjoy in moderation and don't cut things out that you like (a pretty sure way to fail), and focus on the mental part of this whole thing-that's where failure or success actually happens.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Stop eating sugar.

Like twixl said, food doesn't control you; YOU control it! It isn't an addiction in the physical sense at all. It's all in your head.

I eat sugar daily, but I choose how much and what. I don't obsess over it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    IMO, the only way you're going to be successful is to plan ahead and let yourself have those things you want.... just in smaller quantities. Plan your day around having some ice cream right before you go to bed, or whatever. It'll give you something to look forward to all day and will satisfy your craving at the end of the day.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and disagree with most of the other posters, here. Having previously been 350+ lbs and knowing what it's like to be totally obsessed with carbs, I will say that for me, the only thing that works is cutting out all refined sugars. I mean ALL. Complex carbs, yes, but simple sugars, nope. Here's why: for me, if I eat simple sugars, about 30 minutes later I want MORE sugar. It's an endless cycle and I can only step off the crazy train by abstaining. I'm even careful with fruit. (IE, I love bananas for a sugary reason.) Not to say that I am always able to abstain; but when I do, things are a lot easier for me and I'm not starving all the time. (Er, or FEELING like I'm starving, I should say.) It's great to say "just control yourself" but if your brain lights up for sugar the same way a heroin users' brains lights up, it's pretty hard to control that. (Overeaters Anonymous exists for a reason.) Not everyone will have this problem, but I think there are those of us that do. Just my point of view. :)

Something that works for me to stop cravings is to have a piece of cheese or piece of chicken (I keep cooked chicken breast on hand in the fridge for my 4 p.m.-ish snack time.) If I can get some protein in, in seems to stop the cravings. Have you tried that?

Oh, and for the record, when I'm abstaining (Read that: on track) I keep my place free of bread, bagels and crackers because these are trigger foods for me -- they trigger binges. I eat Atkins protein bars instead. For some reason, I can keep the little 100 cal ice-cream treats in the freezer and only eat them occasionally. I have no idea why that is.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    OP, you wrote "Also, I've tried low carb diets and found them to be unsustainable and way out of my budget."

Really? That is not my case at all, in fact I noticed that I am saving money. Is it because you buy prepared food? What I do is buy ingredients and cook at home. Proteins can be inexpensive, like ground meats and usually some grocery store has some kind of meat on special (good time to stock up on specials and put in the freezer). Also, frozen vegetables are cheap too, and the freezing process keeps the nutrients locked in. I take the frozen veg, fry in olive oil or butter...very nutritious, very yummy, and low in sugar, and it fills you up.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    To me, increase fat intake by a lot surely "cured" my problem with suger/carb. now my fat intake is almost 50% of all my calories per day.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I agree cut out all refined sugars cold turkey!!! sugar makes your blodd thick and slows down your metabolism, that goes for gluten because gluten is sugar and your body doesn't use it for energy instead stores it as fat. its hard at first but the results are amazing , go through the kitchen and get rid of all processed sugary foods so you dont feel pressured to eat them
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and disagree with most of the other posters, here. Having previously been 350+ lbs and knowing what it's like to be totally obsessed with carbs, I will say that for me, the only thing that works is cutting out all refined sugars. I mean ALL. Complex carbs, yes, but simple sugars, nope. Here's why: for me, if I eat simple sugars, about 30 minutes later I want MORE sugar. It's an endless cycle and I can only step off the crazy train by abstaining. I'm even careful with fruit. (IE, I love bananas for a sugary reason.) Not to say that I am always able to abstain; but when I do, things are a lot easier for me and I'm not starving all the time. (Er, or FEELING like I'm starving, I should say.) It's great to say "just control yourself" but if your brain lights up for sugar the same way a heroin users' brains lights up, it's pretty hard to control that. (Overeaters Anonymous exists for a reason.) Not everyone will have this problem, but I think there are those of us that do. Just my point of view. :)

Something that works for me to stop cravings is to have a piece of cheese or piece of chicken (I keep cooked chicken breast on hand in the fridge for my 4 p.m.-ish snack time.) If I can get some protein in, in seems to stop the cravings. Have you tried that?

Oh, and for the record, when I'm abstaining (Read that: on track) I keep my place free of bread, bagels and crackers because these are trigger foods for me -- they trigger binges. I eat Atkins protein bars instead. For some reason, I can keep the little 100 cal ice-cream treats in the freezer and only eat them occasionally. I have no idea why that is.

This has also been my experience. I cut out refined sugar and instead eat plenty or fruit and good carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, sprouted grain breads, etc. Lots of people said I couldn't maintain it but it's been 11 months now and I've made it through birthdays, weddings and every major holiday while sticking to my food plan. At this point my favorite "desert" is a bowl of fresh strawberries. I also have a fruit smoothie with a little greek yogurt on days I want a treat.

As many people have posted most people can moderate once they form better habits, but I just never was able to do it. Best of luck!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    sugar makes your blodd thick and slows down your metabolism, that goes for gluten because gluten is sugar and your body doesn't use it for energy instead stores it as fat.

This is 100% wrong.

Sugar does not make your blood "thick." Sugar does not slow down your metabolism. Gluten is actually a protein; sugar is a carbohydrate. Your body literally runs on sugar, so yes it uses sugar for energy.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I agree cut out all refined sugars cold turkey!!! sugar makes your blodd thick and slows down your metabolism, that goes for gluten because gluten is sugar and your body doesn't use it for energy instead stores it as fat. its hard at first but the results are amazing , go through the kitchen and get rid of all processed sugary foods so you dont feel pressured to eat them

:huh:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and there is no reliable documentation of sugar addiction in humans. Unless you have a medical condition, you can eat all types of foods and there is no reason to permanently eliminate items. If your goal is to lose weight, the only thing you need is a calorie deficit. Many times, people set unreasonable goals that do not teach them anything about making major behavior changes.

Read this link and all of the links in it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
    This.^ I do not track sugar. If I had to cut out foods I love, I would never be able to stick with it. Incorporate the foods you love into an eating plan with a reasonable and sustainable calorie deficit, get in some exercise, if you can, and ideally, start weight training. I've lost 126 lbs and I have ice cream everyday. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
    Much wisdom here. Sugar is not an addictive substance. It's not the sugar that's the issue, here, but managing portion sizes and caloric intake.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Plan your meals. Hit specific volume targets for fat and protein. Keep 35% or less of your calories from carbs and make those carbs from vegetables.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found works for me is just... don't buy the desserts to keep at home. I'm not totally deprived because I'm allowed to go out for ice cream, etc., but I don't find myself eating handfuls of M&Ms while studying at home.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I understand you OP.
    I also have a huge sweet tooth, but I managed to get it under control.

For me it was a problem, it got to the point where I developed serious tooth decay: 11 cavities in a year from drinking too much soda and eating too many sugary stuff, one year later, I went for a check-up and had 2 more extra cavities, and I have good hygiene, but most of my diet had a lot of sugar in it. I'm still in disbelieve that I did not develop some sort of diabetes from eating like that.

4 months ago I decided to quit refined sugar cold turkey, (I still ate fruits, in moderation) I felt horrible for about a month, I was totally miserable, not going to lie to you. I did it that way because I had no self control with sugary stuff, but if you do, I recommend you to just lower your sugar intake gradually. What I did to control the cravings was to eat nuts, fruits like apples, kiwi, tangerines, drink hot herbal infusions or just water. it was hard, but doable.

I have now introduced honey to my diet. my tastebuds have changed and I now enjoy my desserts with little to no sweet on them. On the holidays I had sugary desserts and I found them way too sweet for my liking, so I'm happy about that, you just need to be strong and keep at it.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    sugar creates a spike in blood glucose levels and is very quickly absorbed into your system. both of these scenarios actually assist in the process to slow your metabolism down. this is what I meant by your blood thickening, sorry I worded it wrong!!! the gluten thing I got wrong whoops
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

LOL!
    untitled_zpsee21182c.png
    LOL +1