Anybody not count calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and am not counting calories right now. I've been able to stay within my 3lb maintenance window without having to, but I have other checks and balances in place that are working well (like daily weigh ins etc). If things change I will adjust :)

^ THIS!

I only log to get back on track if I hit my +/- 3 lb allowance, or as a reality check to ensure I know what I'm taking in if I start eating a lot of new foods or at new places, or start developing a new "bad" habit that requires me to focus or adjust elsewhere to make up for it.

For the New Year, I want to re-focus on my workouts as I've not been consistent for the last couple of months, so I will start logging my exercise for awhile even if I don't log food.
  • kluvit
    Options
    Have to tell you, I feel exactly the same! I would love to add some friends who are committed to being healthy but don't want to count calories. I tried it from August 2011-Feb 2012, lost a great deal of weight and then became obsessive. So after that I made some changes and it's been great to step away from counting! would like to meet some other likeminded people. I still exercise 6 days a week (mostly running but also lift weights) and I eat 3 healthy meals a day (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on Saturday and Sunday I allow myself a few treats). This system works great for me and I've stayed about the same weight. The greatest thing is I don't beat myself up about going over calories because as long as I"m staying healthy and not feeling like I overate and still fitting in my clothes then everything is good! I know this website's main feature is calorie counting but I think there is also the chance for useful support in other ways.
    My 2014 resolution is to stop counting calories, or to at least try it for a good chunk of time, and see how it works for me. I am very obsessive about it, and it messes with my mind. I have been meticulously counting calories for 15 year, nonstop, and I think it has become an issue for me, because I eat according to my calories, and not my hunger and satisfaction level. Basically, it has taken all the intuition out of my eating. I think that for "normal" eaters, counting calories is a totally worthwhile venture, and it obviously helps lots of people lose weight, but in my situation, it is not an appropriate weight loss tool. I plan to continue my healthy eating plan, and I am sure I will loosely count the calories in my head, but I don't plan to obsess over it, or track my macros/cals on the site. I am sticking around, to keep my head in the game, but for the moment, cal counting isn't for me. Taking it one day at a time, though. good luck!

Same! its been really messing with my head. It gets so fustrating. I am just making concious effort to think about what/how much I am eating etc.

Count me in on this! I've been in maintenance for about 1.5 years, and quit counting when I found myself eating just because I had calories left over. Now, I only count when I know I'm starting to get off track and want to focus for a short period of time to re-train myself or reinforce good habits. Once I've met my short-term goal, I stop logging and continue with what I know works.

I started logging exercise today to get my focus back on regular workouts, but I'm debating whether or not, I'll also log food.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I do iifym, which doesn't focus on calories, but meeting specific macronutrient targets.
    I do this for my sport, to know that I'm eating the right macros to meet my goals.

When not doing this, I don't count. I find it tedious, stressful and unhealthy. I can manage my intake well enough to maintain without it...

Correct me if i'm wrong... but... dont macros all have calories?

Carbs per gram= 4 cals
    Protein per gram= 4 cals
    Fat per gram= 9 cals

So, aren't you technically still hitting a set daily calorie goal?
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    I do iifym, which doesn't focus on calories, but meeting specific macronutrient targets.
    I do this for my sport, to know that I'm eating the right macros to meet my goals.

When not doing this, I don't count. I find it tedious, stressful and unhealthy. I can manage my intake well enough to maintain without it...

Carbs per gram= 4 cals
    Protein per gram= 4 cals
    Fat per gram= 9 cals

Yes. Her point is that she doesn't focus on just calories but on specific amounts of each macro so she reaches a more balanced diet.
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So pleased to meet others in maintenance who have given up tracking. Thanks for the friend requests.
    Have to tell you, I feel exactly the same! I would love to add some friends who are committed to being healthy but don't want to count calories. I tried it from August 2011-Feb 2012, lost a great deal of weight and then became obsessive. So after that I made some changes and it's been great to step away from counting! would like to meet some other likeminded people. I still exercise 6 days a week (mostly running but also lift weights) and I eat 3 healthy meals a day (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on Saturday and Sunday I allow myself a few treats). This system works great for me and I've stayed about the same weight. The greatest thing is I don't beat myself up about going over calories because as long as I"m staying healthy and not feeling like I overate and still fitting in my clothes then everything is good! I know this website's main feature is calorie counting but I think there is also the chance for useful support in other ways.
    My 2014 resolution is to stop counting calories, or to at least try it for a good chunk of time, and see how it works for me. I am very obsessive about it, and it messes with my mind. I have been meticulously counting calories for 15 year, nonstop, and I think it has become an issue for me, because I eat according to my calories, and not my hunger and satisfaction level. Basically, it has taken all the intuition out of my eating. I think that for "normal" eaters, counting calories is a totally worthwhile venture, and it obviously helps lots of people lose weight, but in my situation, it is not an appropriate weight loss tool. I plan to continue my healthy eating plan, and I am sure I will loosely count the calories in my head, but I don't plan to obsess over it, or track my macros/cals on the site. I am sticking around, to keep my head in the game, but for the moment, cal counting isn't for me. Taking it one day at a time, though. good luck!

Same! its been really messing with my head. It gets so fustrating. I am just making concious effort to think about what/how much I am eating etc.

Count me in on this! I've been in maintenance for about 1.5 years, and quit counting when I found myself eating just because I had calories left over. Now, I only count when I know I'm starting to get off track and want to focus for a short period of time to re-train myself or reinforce good habits. Once I've met my short-term goal, I stop logging and continue with what I know works.

I started logging exercise today to get my focus back on regular workouts, but I'm debating whether or not, I'll also log food.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Carbs per gram= 4 cals
    Protein per gram= 4 cals
    Fat per gram= 9 cals

Yes. Her point is that she doesn't focus on just calories but on specific amounts of each macro so she reaches a more balanced diet.

We should all take into consideration what our macros are anyway. Counting macros is the same thing as counting calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Carbs per gram= 4 cals
    Protein per gram= 4 cals
    Fat per gram= 9 cals

We should all take into consideration what our macros are anyway. Counting macros is the same thing as counting calories.

Many people round here seem to eat whatever as long as it meets a caloric goal without much consideration in to the macro breakdown. I couldn't tell you how many calories I eat, it varies slightly and I don't have a calorie goal. I can tell you that today I get 190g protein, 90g fat and 190g carbs though.

OP, when I'm in comp prep mode to lose fat, I definitely log. I need to have an accurate plan to follow to help get results.!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i don't count cals i also don't track my food. its to depressing for me any way. i tried it once that was enough for me. i seem to do good on my own any way. i just change up what i eat and drink
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I use the food tracker, but the stats I'm looking for are proper amounts of protein, vitamins and minerals. On days when these nutrients are high, my calories tend to be lower, simply because nutrient-dense foods tend to be lower in calories.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't need to count calories as long as I eat clean. When I eat a clean plant-based diet, I maintain my weight effortlessly; when I reduce my portion sizes by half, I lose weight. Easy as that.

But right now I'm not able to give up sweets and chocolate. These are hard times for an emotional eater with a huge sweet tooth… Therefore I resorted to counting calories, because it allows me to incorporate controlled little junk food feasts into my daily routine and maintain an idea of how much other food I can eat and still lose weight… I know that this is not the healthiest of behaviors, but right now it's the only options. Times will change. Perhaps. I hope they do. Meh.
  • kluvit
    Options
    [/quote]

I've been in maintenance for about 1.5 years, and quit counting when I found myself eating just because I had calories left over. Now, I only count when I know I'm starting to get off track and want to focus for a short period of time to re-train myself or reinforce good habits. Once I've met my short-term goal, I stop logging and continue with what I know works.

[/quote]

Update: I went about my day as usual yesterday then logged food & beverages this morning (even the spontaneous afternoon run to sbux and the key lime cookies found in the break room at work), and I found that I actually ate right at maintenance calories (under if you count the exercise calories burned). Had I logged yesterday, and known I had those exercise calories to eat, I would have eaten something I didn't even want. Without logging, those extra calories not eaten each day throughout the week makeup for the crazy splurge dessert or meal I'm apt to have on the weekends. So, all of that said, I've talked myself out of logging food unless/until I need to focus on calorie intake.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options

I've been in maintenance for about 1.5 years, and quit counting when I found myself eating just because I had calories left over. Now, I only count when I know I'm starting to get off track and want to focus for a short period of time to re-train myself or reinforce good habits. Once I've met my short-term goal, I stop logging and continue with what I know works.

[/quote]

Update: I went about my day as usual yesterday then logged food & beverages this morning (even the spontaneous afternoon run to sbux and the key lime cookies found in the break room at work), and I found that I actually ate right at maintenance calories (under if you count the exercise calories burned). Had I logged yesterday, and known I had those exercise calories to eat, I would have eaten something I didn't even want. Without logging, those extra calories not eaten each day throughout the week makeup for the crazy splurge dessert or meal I'm apt to have on the weekends. So, all of that said, I've talked myself out of logging food unless/until I need to focus on calorie intake.
    [/quote]

I guess after a while you just get use to the amount you can eat
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i think the biggest thing for me was it got to be a chore and then i alternated between feeling great for reaching my goal and feeling bad when i was slightly over. Just can't live like that. I pretty much know what i need to do at this point after being on here this long . i do focus on protein and avoiding sweets as much as i can (during the week). but i do not call anything "forbidden" because i find that this labeling increases the desire to have this food. i allow myself what treats i really want, but only a few times on the weekends. that way i'm not overdoing anything. it really has helped with avoiding overeating. i think for some people counting calories really works for them and they don't get obsessive. but for others it can be detrimental, possibily leading to obsessive thinking and eating disorders. then, when we dont' see exactly the results we want, we are even harder on ourselves. no, don't need to live that way.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i think the biggest thing for me was it got to be a chore and then i alternated between feeling great for reaching my goal and feeling bad when i was slightly over. Just can't live like that. I pretty much know what i need to do at this point after being on here this long . i do focus on protein and avoiding sweets as much as i can (during the week). but i do not call anything "forbidden" because i find that this labeling increases the desire to have this food. i allow myself what treats i really want, but only a few times on the weekends. that way i'm not overdoing anything. it really has helped with avoiding overeating. i think for some people counting calories really works for them and they don't get obsessive. but for others it can be detrimental, possibily leading to obsessive thinking and eating disorders. then, when we dont' see exactly the results we want, we are even harder on ourselves. no, don't need to live that way.

This is exactly how I feel. When I count calories and weigh and measure my food, I feel like I am giving all the power to the food, and I don't rely at all on my intuition... and I end up making myself crazy. I also feel like at this point, I know what I have to do. If I start gaining, I will reevauate whether or not this is working for me. Also, I have considered weighing/measuring treats, so I don't overdo it, with things like ice cream or other indulgences. I am taking it one day at a time. This is new to me.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options

This is exactly how I feel. When I count calories and weigh and measure my food, I feel like I am giving all the power to the food, and I don't rely at all on my intuition... and I end up making myself crazy. I also feel like at this point, I know what I have to do. If I start gaining, I will reevauate whether or not this is working for me. Also, I have considered weighing/measuring treats, so I don't overdo it, with things like ice cream or other indulgences. I am taking it one day at a time. This is new to me.

Sounds like a wise idea. I am not calorie counting next week but I have planned my meals and snacks.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories because that's too obsessive for me and I seem to be doing fine without it.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories , i eat till satisfied and it works great for me. I do have my restrictions on what i will or will not eat for the day .
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    bumping as interested
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have not actively logged since September and have been maintaining just fine. I got sick of the meticulous counting of numbers each day and getting pissed if everything wasn't perfect. Logging showed me what types and how much of certain foods I need to eat, so now I can pretty much work it all out in my head without needing to look at a diary to make sure it fits.

Not seeing numbers displayed on a screen has helped me to eat more intuitively and to not become obsessed with whether or not I'm over or under. Unless my weight gets totally out of hand, I'm hoping to never have to log religiously ever again.