Am I headed towards Anorexia/Bulimia

Options

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to rid yourself of bulimic thoughts/tendencies without a "therapist" or "professional help"? I don't believe in western medicine. I want to cure myself on my own. I've been to a therapist before (for my anxiety) and they did nothing but prescribe medication.

A couple thoughts about this:

1.) Therapists do not prescribe medication. Only psychiatrists do. Are you sure you were talking to a therapist? Therapists practice "talk therapy" and thought modification techniques (among other things). Millions of people have been helped by therapists (western or otherwise) - including myself. If you didn't like one person you saw, find another one.

2.) It is extremely rare for a person with your condition to be able to "cure yourself on your own". In fact, that kind of thinking is sort of part of the problem. :-/ Part of the issue is needing "control", part of it is wanting to hide the issue (although you're doing great sharing it here, we're honored to help), among other things. Talking to a professional (and I like that word because that's what they are, just like you'd hire a plumber to fix a leaky bathtub) is actually a really smart thing to do when you don't know what to do.

3.) There are lots of great resources and websites out there for you to educate yourself on this issue (as well as talk to someone). it's a great idea to do BOTH - consult a pro AND read up on it, too. Attack it from all sides!

4.) There are great support groups out there who could also help you out with this. The best, IMHO, is Overeaters Anonymous. They accept anyone and everyone who has any issue at all with eating. You can be fat, skinny, blue or purple, they "get it" about food and body obsession. See if you can find a meeting. You'll meet all sorts of the sweetest and most humble people in the exact same boat as you and it feels so good to be accepted. The 12 step program would be beneficial to read up on as well, might help you too. I did it and it was one of the the best things I ever did - so enlightening.

http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/

Good luck to you, sweetie. As someone else on here said - just the fact that you're asking here means you're ready to tackle this! :) You will get free!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to rid yourself of bulimic thoughts/tendencies without a "therapist" or "professional help"? I don't believe in western medicine. I want to cure myself on my own. I've been to a therapist before (for my anxiety) and they did nothing but prescribe medication.

A couple thoughts about this:

1.) Therapists do not prescribe medication. Only psychiatrists do. Are you sure you were talking to a therapist? Therapists practice "talk therapy" and thought modification techniques (among other things). Millions of people have been helped by therapists (western or otherwise) - including myself. If you didn't like one person you saw, find another one.

2.) It is extremely rare for a person with your condition to be able to "cure yourself on your own". In fact, that kind of thinking is sort of part of the problem. :-/ Part of the issue is needing "control", part of it is wanting to hide the issue (although you're doing great sharing it here, we're honored to help), among other things. Talking to a professional (and I like that word because that's what they are, just like you'd hire a plumber to fix a leaky bathtub) is actually a really smart thing to do when you don't know what to do.

3.) There are lots of great resources and websites out there for you to educate yourself on this issue (as well as talk to someone). it's a great idea to do BOTH - consult a pro AND read up on it, too. Attack it from all sides!

4.) There are great support groups out there who could also help you out with this. The best, IMHO, is Overeaters Anonymous. They accept anyone and everyone who has any issue at all with eating. You can be fat, skinny, blue or purple, they "get it" about food and body obsession. See if you can find a meeting. You'll meet all sorts of the sweetest and most humble people in the exact same boat as you and it feels so good to be accepted. The 12 step program would be beneficial to read up on as well, might help you too. I did it and it was one of the the best things I ever did - so enlightening.

http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/

Good luck to you, sweetie. As someone else on here said - just the fact that you're asking here means you're ready to tackle this! :) You will get free!

^This
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    An example of the exercise it off mentality, and how he turned it around. Basically, educate yourself massively, so you really know what you are doing to yourself.

Might be a good example, as well as a great site for info.

http://evidencemag.com/why-i-created-impruvism/
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What was said about seeking professional help is important (a therapist cannot prescribe medication so you definitely did not see a therapist, you would have seen a psychiatrist; a therapist is simply someone who provides therapy). You can't do this on your own; curing a mental/eating disorder is no different than asthma; you can't treat asthma on your own, you need medicine (although mental and eating disorders don't always require drugs as the medicine, but a specialized program)

That said, a small change that may at least help in relation to seeing a therapist is getting rid of your scale. Don't weight yourself is it causes you to obsess. It obviously won't be a total solution, but it may at least help remove this idea of focusing on weight and hopefully you'll focus on health instead.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Small correction on several people. A therapist CAN prescribe medication in several states if they have both a doctorate in psychology and a masters in pharmacology. That being said, most prescribing psychologists tend to be parsimonious in their medication recommendations. And it is only a handful of states that allow this. Usually a psychiatrist if meds are involved.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Even just falling into disordered patterns is enough to need help. I suffered from this and got help from a nutritionist and doctor, and eventually counseling. You don't need psychotropic medication to address an eating disorder. Good luck.
  • SplitPea123
    Options
    Budget wise and time wise, I can't go to a psychologist. I have a lot of work to do in university and my parents would be extremely upset to have to send me to some clinic. I thought I was fine, now everyone is making me believe that I'm sick (mentally). I asked this question because I was hoping someone would say that I'm not sick.
  • SplitPea123
    Options
    I'd skip the terror if I was you. Seems kind of unpleasant.

The thing is, if you've already lost weight, you've learned how to lose weight. So if you see the scale creeping upward again, you can nip it in the bud. You have the tools to do it in a short time. And your "goal weight" isn't realistically a single number, it's a range. I allow myself from 130lbs to 135lbs. If I stay in that range, I eat at my maintenance level of calories. If I creep up above that range, I'll cut a couple hundred calories until the scale goes back down. If I dip below that range, I'll add a couple hundred calories until I'm back in the zone. But there's zero drama, it's just math. :drinker:

Thank you. Your post makes the most sense.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Budget wise and time wise, I can't go to a psychologist. I have a lot of work to do in university and my parents would be extremely upset to have to send me to some clinic. I thought I was fine, now everyone is making me believe that I'm sick (mentally). I asked this question because I was hoping someone would say that I'm not sick.

but if you're worried enough to ask...it could be that you are. Your university will probably offer psych support, at the very least. They won't send you to 'some clinic', inpatient is usually reserved for those who are physically ill from their disorder. Best of luck to you.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    pick up some hobbies to keep your mind off of it. stay busy
  • inside_lap
    Options

but if you're worried enough to ask...it could be that you are. Your university will probably offer psych support, at the very least. They won't send you to 'some clinic', inpatient is usually reserved for those who are physically ill from their disorder. Best of luck to you.

^ this. All tiers of treatment from inpatient to one every few weeks outpatient. Most large colleges and universities have accredited counseling center. Depending on you country/university, its sometimes even free because its rolled into student dues. Also many clinics and providers offer sliding scales. They just don't advertise. It's kind of n the doing good and giving back that is in the ethics of the profession. Call some places, you may be surprised. Or attending on of the eating community based groups. Those are usually free since you sound like your still hedging your bets. Your parents might be upset to send you to a clinic but I'd bet they would be more upset if you do serious damage to your body. Just a thought.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are actually feeling terrified and will not leave the house because you THINK you are fat over one pound????????????????
    i am not being smart towards you or I do not mean to be disrespectful to you in any way,but you seriously need to see a professional counselor that deals with food disorders if you feel like this,because if you don't in 6 months you are going to be so so much in a very dark place that will take a long time to get out of. That is not healthy what so ever for you to think this way.
    take care
    Judy
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. :( Yup, we're bulimic without the mess. It's been two years of me stressing and it hasn't stopped yet. I just try to cut the binging and keep my exercise up and I have less to worry about.
  • sdbeachbum
    sdbeachbum Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    laadddiiieessss!! I was facing the same thing after having lost a good amount of weight. I got really good at losing weight and it felt really good to finally be skinny. I lost my period but had no idea because my birth control was "faking" me out and forcing a period. As soon as I got off my birth control, my period stopped and hasn't returned since, that was 13 months ago. I have since gotten back to a "normal" weight but went through all the fears you talk about.

Please listen when I say, the physical consequences are not worth it. I know the little voice in the back of your head is telling you you shouldn't eat too much, or that you HAVE to work out. But take steps everyday to love yourself as you are and be proud of having a HEALTHY body that is functioning the way a woman's body should function. I don't know if I'll be able to have children and that is terrifying.

I am in school becoming a therapist to help as many people become confident and repair themselves as well as their relationships with others.

PM me if you have any questions or want to talk in private :o) Hugs to you beauties.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    An example of the exercise it off mentality, and how he turned it around. Basically, educate yourself massively, so you really know what you are doing to yourself.

Might be a good example, as well as a great site for info.

http://evidencemag.com/why-i-created-impruvism/

I hope more people take time to read this post and read the link attached. Lots of good information here....
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I agree with so many others who recommend talking to a health professional. I have had suffered from similar issues since I was 13, Im now 49, and still trying to deal. I am finally getting help.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I thought I was fine, now everyone is making me believe that I'm sick (mentally). I asked this question because I was hoping someone would say that I'm not sick.

But be careful not to hear something we're not saying, k? No one is judging you, believe me! Most of us here have been through something like this at one time or another. Heck, as I read this thread I'm realizing I had this exact problem in highschool (punishing myself with exercise) and I didn't even know it was a *thing*! We are standing beside and behind you here, trying to help. Are you willing to hear our genuine concern? Are you willing to at least *consider* that you may have some things going on in your head that might need to be straightened out a bit? Are you willing to find a cure for what ails you? You have lots and lots of great advice on this thread - and guess what? There's a common message coming through from a lot of smart and experienced people here. Are you brave enough to face it and listen? I believe that you won't be sorry, if you do. :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

There is absolutely things you can do on your own! Most of treatment is doing it on your own, though please be real with yourself and know when you need to see a professional. Give it a go - I promote self-help books all the time to clients.

Just use google, or go to your local library or a book store and start reading as much as possible.

ETA - Perhaps do some research into anxiety as well, this may benefit when it comes to understanding your fears to gaining weight and coming to terms with that fact that you will gain a lb or two through out your life.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    I used to be like that. I was bulimic when i was around your age. I used to eat dinner and then go take a shower and puke everything up. It worked for a whle until one night after eating pizza I went in the shower to purge and got the dough lodged in my esophagus and almost killed myself. After that I was too scared to purge again. Not only does it burn your esophagus, it also ruins your teeth and your metabolism as you get older. I still suffer from self hatred. i think its something inside of you, like your little dark skinny friend in the shadows that only you can see/hear. She will always be with you in a way but you can use it in a healthy way. You probably will never be completely happy with the way you look but you can use it to your advantage.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    [/quote] I don't want to become too skinny, but I am TERRIFIED of gaining more weight. Is this bad? I tend to worry A LOT about gaining weight and if I do gain a pound, I start to think I look fat and refuse to leave the house.
    [/quote]

Try only weighing in once a week. To limit how often you look at the scale. Then amend your exercise regime the next week accordingly. But everyone that I know that diet is up and down and my doctor told me that once you get in your target range it's normal to be five pounds over one week then the next your on target, or weight less than your target weight. I also have an aunt that is thin.but she sees life kind of like you. If she gains even a few ounces more than what she sees as a good weight she beginning dieting and exercising like her life depends on it. She says she is "fat" but I am fat and know the difference between healthy, pudgy, and obese. So try that option or if you must weight in daily, have a friend do it for you while you stand on the scale backwards. Record the weight and tell you if your doing "fine" or if you need to "step up your workout game". I hope that you can get this under control, I'm positive you can you have already identified what is going on, now to correct it! You will do it, you can do it! Also as a method of research, one of my favorite lifetime movies is about this exact thing. Look it up on youtube and watch it may give you insight on how to deal with this problem, it's called: "A Secret Between Friends" it's a moment of truth movie and it's available to watch as a full movie. Good luck and take care.