Low carb...excerise... and 1230 calories a day don't mix!

Options
Im finding it really hard on low carb eating 1230 calories....
Typical day:

Breakfast:
2 x scrambled eggs: 140cal
back bacon: 91cal
actimel drink: 31cal
pint of water

Lunch:
Mature cheddar: 90cal
Wafer thin honey roast ham: 54cal
Cucumber: 12cal
Tomato: 12cal
mayo: 87cal
pint of water

Dinner:
back bacon: 42cal
chargrilled chicken: 145cal
brocoli: 30cal
mature cheddar: 41cal
Pint of water

Usually I drink no added sugar ribena during the day too. roughly about 30cal

ends up being about 805calories a day...
carbs daily: 9%
fat: 58%
protein: 33%

Need some help!... plus... if I do the cross trainer for say 10mins I burn 190 calories... currently on a calorie deficit of 5390 per week...

Replies

• lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What are you finding hard?
    Personally I would be starving and likely getting dizzy while working out if I was eating that little. I like my 1500 calories plus my exercise calories. It's working for me.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. No matter what way you reduce your calories you still need fuel. You can't exercise well while netting 805 cals/day. Low carb can make it more difficult to exercise as well but it can be done. But you need more calories. I'm not sure what your stats are but I am 5'4", around 190lbs pre pregnancy and I was losing about 1lb per week on the LCHF diet at 1600-1700 calories per day. You need to at least eat back your exercise calories to net 1230 cal per day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just eat bigger portions of everything you have listed...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 on keto(low carb and high fat). You just need to add more fats to your meals. Cook your eggs in bacon grease or butter. Add heavy cream, butter and coconut oil to your coffee/tea. Eat 1/4 cup of almonds or seeds. Also make fat bombs. Look up some recipes and enjoy! It's keto candy and good!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You've got to start eating more calories. I eat 1200 calories a day and if I go to the gym I eat 1500 and burn 300. Try eating beans or nuts or something that will fill you up for longer. Fruits are always a good snack and very filling too.
  • clairefairy20
    Options
    Im 5ft 7in.. 219lb
    Just finding it hard to eat all the calories i need... i get full really easily too.
    I shall have a look at fat bombs..
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Im 5ft 7in.. 219lb
    Just finding it hard to eat all the calories i need... i get full really easily too.

what did you used to eat before you wanted to lose weight?
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you're on such a low carb diet? At least adding in some fruit would up your calories, carbs, and energy.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You're skimping a bit on your protein if you want to do more than just repair what you have.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 7in.. 219lb

what did you used to eat before you wanted to lose weight?

Exactly. You didn't get to 219lb by not eating enough calories. :noway:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you're on such a low carb diet? At least adding in some fruit would up your calories, carbs, and energy.

Some people do well eating low carb. You can have some fruits on low carb though. Blueberries are okay.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Im finding it really hard on low carb eating 1230 calories....

ends up being about 805calories a day...
    plus... if I do the cross trainer for say 10mins I burn 190 calories...
    Why are you eating 800 calories a day if your goal is 1230?

19 calories a minute is pretty rare for any exercise at any size. That'd be like a 240 lb. person running 8mph.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/exercise/ART-20050999
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    just eat bigger portions of everything you have listed...

And eat some bread. A calorie deficit will help you lose weight. No need to go low carb.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    have bigger portions, instead of 4oz of chicken, have 8 or add some nuts throughout the day
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am confused by your post. What are you asking? Which part is not "mixing." Are you asking why it is so hard to eat the !,200 calories, or is it that you do not have enough energy for exercise (because you ARE under eating) I am not sure.

It looks as if you have a ketogenic diet. The rule with it is keep your carbs low, always hit your protein targets, fill the rest with fat. If you don't have energy you are either too low on fat or calories.

Can you clarify what you are trying to fix?
  • yolivamp
    Options
    Hang in there! I also do low carb except I eat a lot of fiber rich foods to remain fuller longer. Stick to your complex carbs which are low in calories but high in fiber and you will be successful. I would limit the fruits to only two a day and eat an abundance of green veggies. I suggest making a vegetable soup with all of your favorite veggies and eat that with your lean protein I know it always works for me.....Good Luck
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eat more of what you listed to get the calories. While I net around 700 calories a day, I exercise 900 calories off a day and eat about 1600. You will lose the weight, just don't be so aggressive unless you have a proven plan.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat more of what you listed to get the calories. While I net around 700 calories a day, I exercise 900 calories off a day and eat about 1600. You will lose the weight, just don't be so aggressive unless you have a proven plan.

whow, ok I need to really rethink my game plan...I haven't lost weight, however I am around 1300 a day net...seems most people are saying to net 600-800 a day...informative!! thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options

whow, ok I need to really rethink my game plan...I haven't lost weight, however I am around 1300 a day net...seems most people are saying to net 600-800 a day...informative!! thanks

i net 1800 cals per day to lose bodyfat....
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options

600-800 net calories a day is very low, and for most (if not all) it is sub-optimal. It is it is likely that you are underestimating calories you consume (are you measuring everything with a scale?) or overestimating your burn (MFP and most exercise calculators including those on the machines run 20%-50% over actual burn for most people).