Here's the scoop...(lifting heavy/fatloss/strength gains)

Options
I have been lifting (heavy for me) for approximately 3 months. I am 5 ft tall, weigh like 125 (was 122 but the holidays did me in) and where as I definately see some physical progress I still have made only tiny gains as far as lifting goes. My goal really is to shed the fat (and I would LIKE to be 115 but I know, I know..the muscle/fat thing). I am eating 1400 cals per day, lifting 3 days a week (full body) for 40 minutes and doing cardio the other two for approximately 45 minutes each time. My question, dear folks..and I probably already know the answer...I am not making as great a strength strides because I am eating at a deficit right? I mean, that is not my MAIN goal as fatloss really is the key for me. So 1) eating at a deficit is impeding my strength gains? and 2) a question for all of you...those that are in the same boat as me....does it bother you that your strength gains are so minimal or are you just happy to be shedding the fat? I hope this all makes sense. Thanks for any responses back. I am awaiting my New Rules for Women in the mail to shake it up a bit! :)

Replies

• kevinmstevens
    kevinmstevens Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes your right that a lot of it is tied to your diet, but there are other factors.1) your body has to have the right typpes of foods, protein especially to fuel it for the specific event. 2) In order to get stronger, really stronger your typically going to gain weight as a by product of the thickening of the muscles to overcome this new stressor you've placed on it, heavier wights. 3) you also have to remember that there are differnces in the results of lifting, theirs strength, power, and endurance types of lifting. Strength and endurance are very similar. But power, the ability to lift a heavy object a few or only one time is totally different than lifting a weight for 20 to 30 reps. Differnet musclle fivers and much more are involved. 4) you have to be able to break the body parts down to get a more effective workout. We will use the chest as an example. You can not lift wights for the chest without involving the shoulders and triceps. So if your working those parts as well on the same day, assuming you do chest first, those parts will suffer fatigue from the previous chest work. Thats why most pros will cycle through their training and one day will be devoted to just chest, no arms or other body parts, same with arms, no other work that day but the arms. 5) It is very difficult to gain strength in any noticable amount while conducting cardio, or atleast lots of cardio. Again nutrition and body issues also come into play. 6) Weight lifting does help in fat burning but not nearly as much as the cardio does, but thats when you get into the different nutritional issues again with carbs and proteins and such.7) Finally their is the amount of rest needed to fully recover from the workout, it should be so taxing that you need a couple or even several days to recover before you can fully work that body part again. Unfortunately the best way usually is to cycle through your priorities, For example, the next 8 weeks are going to be devoted to heavy cardio with light strength training for maintenance, the next 8 weeks will be devoted to heavy weight lifting for building mass and power with much less cardio.....and so forth.
    Please understand that this is not an all encompassing post and there are other issues at play but these are the most basic and general concepts. Further searching and investigating should certainly be done. I hope this helps.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I dont lose strength on a deficit. Just broke my PR.
    try stronglifts 5x5 workout program
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...I pretty much (other than being a bit off my diet game the past 10 days) am able to do around 100 grams of protein per day..so I have got that covered...I guess I want to lean out...strength is secondary for me.
  • loriq41
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think strength gains need a calorie surplus. If you're trying to bulk up, then yes. But that's not likely to happen to you without testosterone injections.

Are you looking to get stronger or look different? I don't look a lot different after lifting a few months.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm 5'4, 149lbs, and have been lifting 2 to 3x a week for the last year. I definitely lost a couple sizes, but damn I love good food and wine.

My goal for this year is to get religious about going to the gym, and fine-tune the calorie deficit in order to get rid of the fat. Feel free to friend me.
  • loriq41
    Options
    I don't think strength gains need a calorie surplus. If you're trying to bulk up, then yes. But that's not likely to happen to you without testosterone injections.

Are you looking to get stronger or look different? I don't look a lot different after lifting a few months.
    I would not mind being a bit stronger but I am not one of those chicks that feels the need to lift twice my body weight (not that there is anything wrong with that)..I just want to get rid of the fat, look toned, lose a few more pounds..was wondering if the fact that since I am not making great strength gains that that is an impediment to my primary goals?
  • loriq41
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm 5'4, 149lbs, and have been lifting 2 to 3x a week for the last year. I definitely lost a couple sizes, but damn I love good food and wine.

My goal for this year is to get religious about going to the gym, and fine-tune the calorie deficit in order to get rid of the fat. Feel free to friend me.
    Added ya...lets lose that fat together! :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I agree. A lot of programs produce very minimal strength gains especially when on a diet. First, they don't tell you when to, or push you to increase your weight so you end up doing the same weight for 2-3 weeks. Stronglifts tells you to push it as much as possible. Second the rep range on most programs is higher. I just can't seem to increase weight when I'm doing 8-10 reps, but when I'm doing 5 it's much easier.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • loriq41
    Options

I agree. A lot of programs produce very minimal strength gains especially when on a diet. First, they don't tell you when to, or push you to increase your weight so you end up doing the same weight for 2-3 weeks. Stronglifts tells you to push it as much as possible. Second the rep range on most programs is higher. I just can't seem to increase weight when I'm doing 8-10 reps, but when I'm doing 5 it's much easier.

Great thanks! :)
  • JennyOne2277
    JennyOne2277 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting (nothing crazy) to build my muscles and lose fat, too. Add me also please :)
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am your height, 100 lbs, and lift heavy (5x5 SL). I actually am eating at maintenance, but given the difficulty in calculating calories burned through lifting as well as MFP’s overstatement of calorie burns for cardio activity I don’t go over my weekly net calories (with my “deficit” averaging around 600 weekly).

My strength gains are pretty modest and gradual. I use fractionals to add weight (and sometimes I will add them only for the first 2 of 5 sets). Right now, I am okay with my teeny gains because I AM making progress, but once I get back on a regular routine after the holidays, I will add additional calories for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.
  • loriq41
    Options

Amen sister!
  • loriq41
    Options

Thanks..I will DEF check this out! :)
  • loriq41
    Options
    I am your height, 100 lbs, and lift heavy (5x5 SL). I actually am eating at maintenance, but given the difficulty in calculating calories burned through lifting as well as MFP’s overstatement of calorie burns for cardio activity I don’t go over my weekly net calories (with my “deficit” averaging around 600 weekly).

My strength gains are pretty modest and gradual. I use fractionals to add weight (and sometimes I will add them only for the first 2 of 5 sets). Right now, I am okay with my teeny gains because I AM making progress, but once I get back on a regular routine after the holidays, I will add additional calories for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.
    I agree with your approach as at your height (mine as well) you do not need to lose any fat probably..just gain the muscle and it is good for you to eat at maintenance..I may get to that place, but I still have about 10 lbs to go before I would feel good about eating at maintenance..I am ok with tiny gains..I just want to start looking really toned! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Lifting does not make you "toned". Lifting while at a defiect and eating enough protien helps maintain your LBM.

To show the muscles you need to lose weight. To do that you eat at a deficet.

Strength gains come from increasing your weights. SL for woman say 5lbs each workout but sometimes you can't do that. So fractional weights are good.

I have made good gains over the 15 weeks I have been lifting.

Prior to injury I was squatting 140 and DL 185. Benching 105, OHP 80lbs and rows 140.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting (nothing crazy) to build my muscles and lose fat, too. Add me also please :)

You can't gain muscle at a deficet.
  • loriq41
    Options
    Lifting does not make you "toned". Lifting while at a defiect and eating enough protien helps maintain your LBM.

To show the muscles you need to lose weight. To do that you eat at a deficet.

Strength gains come from increasing your weights. SL for woman say 5lbs each workout but sometimes you can't do that. So fractional weights are good.

I have made good gains over the 15 weeks I have been lifting.

Prior to injury I was squatting 140 and DL 185. Benching 105, OHP 80lbs and rows 140.
    Thanks
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    ^ This!

I too am at a deficit and up the amount I lift by 10 pounds each week (lift 3x/week full body). Eat protein and lots of it!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I would not mind being a bit stronger but I am not one of those chicks that feels the need to lift twice my body weight (not that there is anything wrong with that)..I just want to get rid of the fat, look toned, lose a few more pounds..was wondering if the fact that since I am not making great strength gains that that is an impediment to my primary goals?
    I don't think your strength level is impeding your fat loss goals.