Low carb...excerise... and 1230 calories a day don't mix!

Options

Replies

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Im finding it really hard on low carb eating 1230 calories....
    Typical day:

Breakfast:
    2 x scrambled eggs: 140cal
    back bacon: 91cal
    actimel drink: 31cal
    pint of water

Lunch:
    Mature cheddar: 90cal
    Wafer thin honey roast ham: 54cal
    Cucumber: 12cal
    Tomato: 12cal
    mayo: 87cal
    pint of water

Dinner:
    back bacon: 42cal
    chargrilled chicken: 145cal
    brocoli: 30cal
    mature cheddar: 41cal
    Pint of water

Usually I drink no added sugar ribena during the day too. roughly about 30cal

ends up being about 805calories a day...
    carbs daily: 9%
    fat: 58%
    protein: 33%

Need some help!... plus... if I do the cross trainer for say 10mins I burn 190 calories... currently on a calorie deficit of 5390 per week...

MORE PROTEIN + FAT
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I really dont like carbs at all,
    I am kind of following the south beach diet..

Before I started I used to eat say 1 proper meal a day... snacks all day on crisps and chocolate etc.. and when I did phase 1 of the south beach diet (for 2 weeks) I'd lost over a stone.
    I found that when I had to introduce carbs back into phase 2 I felt sick, and didn't really want to eat carbs..
    I kinda wanted help to find more snacking type foods and things I could add in to boost my calorie intake..
    I kinda didnt want people jumping down my neck about it.
    Low-carb high fat works for me... so I don't want to change that.

Ignore the naysayers. This happens quite often when people announce they're eating low carb. It's silly. But I would definitely suggest cooking with more butters and oils to up the calories of your meals. Definitely give fat bombs a try. One thing I love to add to salads is 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds.

It's because the majority of the time, people unhappily subject themselves to low carb diets because they have some misconstrued notion that carbs are evil and you will lose more weight by cutting them out, which is complete fiction. It's very rare that you come across someone that simply doesn't like carbs.

The people that asked, including myself, were doing just that; simply asking a question. It's not 'silly' at all. If the OP were to increase her carbs she would be eating more calories, which would solve the apparent problem she has. I think you both need to stop being so defensive.

Unhappily? I actually LOVE eating this way. The food is more tastier to me and occasionally I have a cheat day. The weight loss is an awesome bonus as well. Also, low carb is not cutting out carbs. It's limiting them, which can be beneficial to some people. I don't think carbs are evil, but they do make me feel yucky when I eat too many of them.

I'm not bashing a low-carb diet. I've been on one per doctors orders before, and it did work. But when OP listed her typical food for a day, there were no carbs at all, save for some broccoli and a tomato. The low-carb diet I was given by a doctor and nutritionist icluded fruits and whole grains. The right kinds of carbs will provide needed calories and needed energy. I rather get those things from a more rounded, balanced diet rather than fats and oils.

To each their own.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    actually. wasnt a rasher of bacon it was 2... jeeze. people love to jump down your throat.

Actually I have tried to be helpful... I haven't said eat more carbs, I suggested you just eat MORE of what you're already eating.... If you don't want people opinions don't post in public forums.

If it's 2 rashers that's alright then! You crack on with eating 800 cals per day, I'm sure you'll do great....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I really dont like carbs at all,
    I am kind of following the south beach diet..

Before I started I used to eat say 1 proper meal a day... snacks all day on crisps and chocolate etc.. and when I did phase 1 of the south beach diet (for 2 weeks) I'd lost over a stone.
    I found that when I had to introduce carbs back into phase 2 I felt sick, and didn't really want to eat carbs..

I kinda wanted help to find more snacking type foods and things I could add in to boost my calorie intake..

OK, Things are becoming a little clearer, but bear with me while I play some of this back.

You ate crap in the past and as a result gained weight. You recognise that and want to do something about it. That's good as you know the pattern that leads to weight gain, and equally you seem to realise that you need to work with your lifestyle, otherwise it's not sustainable.

Lots of people only eat one or two main meals a day and otherwise snack, for others they stick with the traditional three meal structure. Personally I eat three meals but also have three planned snacks per day. I can't eat the volume at a main meal that would carry me through, so I break things up a little.

That said, the level of carb sensitivity that you describe might point to an underlying issue that you might want to get checked out. Carbs is an entire food group, so contains a whole multitude of options. You might find that you're only sensitive to a sub-set of that, particularly given what you described in terms of your previous eating habits. Many people tend to find that wheat based carbs lead to bloating, particularly if they're reasonably sedentary, as you are.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the lack of dietary fibre that you've described may be leading to other uncomfortable side effects.
    I kinda didnt want people jumping down my neck about it

I don't think anyone jumped down your neck about it, but in the absence of any rationale lots of people have asked what your reasons for a low carb diet are. Quite frequently on here posters talk about excluding a category or food group because of a lack of understanding. In particular it's been clear in the last few days that a lot of food myths still have a lot of currency amongst dieters.

Not many people are just here for an argument, there are a few but very much the minority. Discussion can be a bit robust so it's not worth being too precious about that.
    Low-carb high fat works for me... so I don't want to change that.

So as I understand what you're getting at, you're wanting to hear some suggestions of snack options that are beneficial?

Nuts, pumpkin seeds
    Pepperami sticks
    Cold meats
    Tinned fish
    Mushrooms

All fairly easy to graze on

I appreciate that this doesn't fit with your constraints, but I tend to use a lot of dried fruit to snack on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, low carb is not cutting out carbs. It's limiting them, which can be beneficial to some people. I don't think carbs are evil, but they do make me feel yucky when I eat too many of them.

Too much of anything is going to lead to some form of side effect, from "feeling yucky" to lack of energy to chronic constipation through to the other end of that particular spectrum.

As you point out, low carb is not no carb... That's what I'd question.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Im finding it really hard on low carb eating 1230 calories....
    Typical day:

Breakfast:
    2 x scrambled eggs: 140cal
    back bacon: 91cal
    actimel drink: 31cal
    pint of water

Lunch:
    Mature cheddar: 90cal
    Wafer thin honey roast ham: 54cal
    Cucumber: 12cal
    Tomato: 12cal
    mayo: 87cal
    pint of water

Dinner:
    back bacon: 42cal
    chargrilled chicken: 145cal
    brocoli: 30cal
    mature cheddar: 41cal
    Pint of water

Usually I drink no added sugar ribena during the day too. roughly about 30cal

ends up being about 805calories a day...
    carbs daily: 9%
    fat: 58%
    protein: 33%

Need some help!... plus... if I do the cross trainer for say 10mins I burn 190 calories... currently on a calorie deficit of 5390 per week...

I'm not going very low carb but I have cut out bread for right now... which is kinda hard... but I had to up my food intake somewhere so I started with my breakfast.. I was eating 1 whole egg and 3 egg white with 1oz spinach and 2 tbsp green salsa plus my coofee with honey and 1% milk which was 248 calories
    to
    1 whole egg and 5 egg white with 1.5oz spinach and 2 tbsp green salsa plus my coffee with honey and 1% milk which is 301 calories..
    you just have to find ways to up it... just add more eggs to breakfast. maybe put some veggies with it... plus you should have at least a few healthy snacks a day... make it where you have a total of 5-6 meals a day.. .
  • clairefairy20
    Options
    Im gonna add nuts and eat more in general.
    I made low carb peanut butter and chocolate cups today too as a snack.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Im gonna add nuts and eat more in general.
    I made low carb peanut butter and chocolate cups today too as a snack.

There you go! I made some good imitation peanut butter cup fat bombs a while ago. I still have some left in the freezer! Made it with peanut butter, nutella, butter and coconut oil.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to try the keto-calculator (should come up first if you google it) to determine your correct calories using your stats & activity level. It will also help you determine the best amount of protein, fat, and carbs. It seems to work well for most people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    if I do the cross trainer for say 10mins I burn 190 calories..

Unless you're as fit as Usain Bolt, that's a huge overestimate.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    For frame of reference, 800 calories/day was the average food ration in WW2 concentration camps. You will absolutely guaranteed lose weight eating that little, but you will have no energy to do anything and the visual results at the end of it are unlikely to be what you hoped for.

(This doesn't apply to people who are genuinely obese, they can live on nothing but vitamin supplements and water for months without meaningful harm).
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    really what is going on with all the women on here posting they are on a 1200 cal diet unless you weigh like 105 you should not be eating this little. You are going to lose for a bit then plateu and gain it back due to metabolic damage smh it hurts to read this stuff

1200 a day is NOT starvation mode it will NOT ruin your metabolism.. that's just NOT TRUE. 800 calories a day is the medical definition of a VLCD and without a doctors supervision it is where the danger starts. Eating 1200 calories a day is perfectly safe as long as you're not just eating junk. it's the nutrients that is the concern. And Keto diets are proven to lose less muscle during weight loss than traditional diets.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    And Keto diets are proven to lose less muscle during weight loss than traditional diets.

You were doing great up to that point.

Keto diets have no muscle-retention advantage over diets with any other non-extreme macro ratio.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    why not add in a snack of say 2 hardboiled eggs and a slice of cheese. that will help bump up your calories. not trying to be cruel here but you (NONE OF US for that matter) got to our size by eating 800 calories a day. you can't possibly be so full you can't eat a snack. i'd be starving on 800 calories.

now that i've read through all the comments and your responses OP. i get your starting out and trying to stay on track. good for you for taking the first step in the right direction (coming on here and asking how to increase your intake without derailing your progress thus far).:flowerforyou:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You simply need to eat more of the same things you are eating. I'd also try and get some more high fiber foods in your diet- avocado, cauliflower, etc. I also agree with adding in some snacks. A serving of nuts or an ounce of cheese is easy to do.

If you are targeting 1230 calories a day- that should be your NET calories- food intake minus exercise= net calories. That's what you should be eating. Not 1230 calories and then exercise 600 of it off. 800 a day is too low for long term success.

I also think your estimate in what you are burning on your exercise is way off. I can do 45 minutes on my elliptical and it's around 600 calories, covering 3.5-4 miles.

You can eat a lot of cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. I will eat 12oz of one of those along with a 12-16oz piece of meat as dinner. Very filling and satisfying.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    And Keto diets are proven to lose less muscle during weight loss than traditional diets.

You were doing great up to that point.

Keto diets have no muscle-retention advantage over diets with any other non-extreme macro ratio.

yes they do. I've read a few studies, the high protein fat diets retain more muscle than other diets.
  • cinger6364
    cinger6364 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding a snack with protein between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner Include protein so something like an apple and cheese or Greek yogurt and fruit.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Eat more of what you listed to get the calories. While I net around 700 calories a day, I exercise 900 calories off a day and eat about 1600. You will lose the weight, just don't be so aggressive unless you have a proven plan.

whow, ok I need to really rethink my game plan...I haven't lost weight, however I am around 1300 a day net...seems most people are saying to net 600-800 a day...informative!! thanks

i net 1800 cals per day to lose bodyfat....

I net about 2000 to do the same...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason- ditch the low carb 'diet'. Make this a lifestyle, eat a variety of foods, with a healthy calorie intake, watch your portions, log EVERYTHING. Exercise. Stay consistent. Restrictive 'diet's don't work for most people. Enjoy food in healthy portions...it's not the enemy!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 7in.. 219lb
    Just finding it hard to eat all the calories i need... i get full really easily too.
    I shall have a look at fat bombs..

At 5'8" and 217 pounds I could eat 1800 calories and still lose weight. Carbs are not the enemy. Of course it's tough to workout on no calories (1200 isn't enough for your size, 800 is definitely not enough) and carbs give you energy to do your workouts. You will crash soon and feel like a failure because you have set yourself up to fail.