5 Hidden Costs of the Dating Market

Options

Replies

• Ms_Hiit
    Ms_Hiit Posts: 488
    Options
    you forgot to factor in the cost of roofies. they are a necessary expense for those who make lists like this.

They should've put a like button in the forums, not the news feed!

8wd4l1.jpg
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    OP has figured out the super secret costs (AKA being an adult with discretionary income) of dating. The super secret personality traits that don't invoke their gag reflex still elude him

I'm supposed to have qualities besides my lack of gag reflex? I'm ****ed
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    OP- you seem to often have a lot advie on dating and all of it is bunk.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thing because my attention span is pretty short, but I wouldn't care if a guy had a smartphone. I would actually admire him for not having one.

I have a friend who makes lots of money, wears expensive clothes, drives an expensive car, made thousands of dollars' in upgrades to his townhouse, but can't understand why he can't find a girlfriend. Probably because he cares more about his "stuff" than anyone else does. As long as you don't pick me up in a ratty t-shirt, cut-off sweats and Crocs on our first date, I'm cool.

I don't even have a cell phone! :flowerforyou: What bus line do you live on, I am on my way to take you to the Chinese Buffet. Hope you don't mind eating off the same plate since I lost by bogo coupon :(

Honey, I'd eat it right off of you. Who needs plates?!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You forgot the cost of unplanned pregnancies. Each kid costs $250k, since it keeps happening to you and all.

Stealing from Ms_Hiit

8wd4l1.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP has figured out the super secret costs (AKA being an adult with discretionary income) of dating. The super secret personality traits that don't invoke their gag reflex still elude him

You're going to make somebody very happy someday.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Your posts are consistently tiresome and misogynistic.

Go away.
  • tobefitfifty
    Options
    Wish someone had told me earlier :-) then there's the costs of wedding, kids divorce, maintenance then the second wife.

Really funny article.......be who you were , respectful and love will find a way :-)
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OP has figured out the super secret costs (AKA being an adult with discretionary income) of dating.

Totally unrelated, but thank you for using the correct income terminology. The number of times people use the term disposable instead of discretionary income is too damn high! (Sorry - marketing nerd.)

And OP, we get it. You hate women and view little value in them. You realize there's another gender to pursue.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Here's my #1 dating tip for guys: Don't be a *kitten*. Women don't like bitter, angry, misogynists who view dating as a battle or competition. Relax, be kind, be sincere, appreciate and recognize that woman are complex individuals just like you, not faceless, interchangeable prey to be stereotyped and then resented when they don't do exactly what you want. I've read some of those stupid "How to get women" sites and they're laughable. They portray women as basically non-human safes that can be cracked with certain words or actions so that men can get to the goodies inside. Having the right car, clothes, neighborhood, etc. is not going to get you a woman if you're a shallow, disrespectful, objectifying jerk that only sees women as gatekeepers of sex.
    This was a good read :)
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You crazy, you can still get it for free
    1. have some personality
    2. grow a pair

enough said.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

thank you ryry, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!!!!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I sense an impending nice guy thread coming up soon

902kd0.jpg
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

No. You're supposed to be a shallow, easy gold-digger with a high tolerance for misogyny and roofies. And a nice pad.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Your posts are consistently tiresome and misogynistic.

Go away.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

thank you ryry, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!!!!!

You are welcome. And I didn't even realize the Heat and Warriors played last night. WTF? Good on the Dubs pulling it out. They are hot right now.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    An area of dating/unmarried life that I find does not receive enough attention are the hidden costs involved in dating. Sometimes, these hidden costs are not intuitively obvious. One has to have been in the moment or have it pointed out to them to consider these. I'm not intending to make this list fully comprehensive, in the hopes that other contributors on this board will add to what I have to say. Additionally, as a single male, some of these points will be male centric, whereas others will have applicability to both sexes.

1. Smartphone: If you are a guy who is look to date in a major metropolitan area, you need to have a smartphone. Because you can't pull out a feature phone to ask for a number of the latest female you have met, lest she will mock you in her mind, already putting you at a disadvantage. This is most crucial when your target market is a 20s female, but this sort of thought process now permeates into the 30+ singles as well. Additionally, a smartphone comes with a smartphone plan, and a phone plan that involves data costs more. Without being on the singles market, a guy can conceivably get away with a basic talk & text phone, because you are not looking for new women. For women, phones don't matter in attracting men. Most men usually do not care what model of phone that a woman has. Many men feel that women without smartphones make for more attentive girlfriends.

2. Dwelling: As a singleton, your dwelling matters. It is good to get a place in a singles friendly part of the city you live in. Major metropolitan areas are known for traffic snarls, and when two singles live closer together to one another, it removes a barrier from seeing one another. It is already difficult enough to get two people together, but when you add distances of more than 10 miles in a major metro with bad traffic, the incentive is reduced. For those singles who routinely use the bar scene, having a pad within walking distance of the major bars in the bar scenes is an amplifier towards getting one night stands. Of course, this is factored into the pricing of such a dwelling, and this is a marketing message that resonates with the single guy.

3. Your appearance: As a single, your appearance matters now more than ever. Gym memberships, exercise, sports leagues, food you buy, cosmetics (ladies and guys possibly stuck in a glam rock era), clothing are all a part of it. Your body has to be looking tight.

4. The art of automobile repair: Cars are now less of a status symbol, particularly in the Millennial/Gen Y age cohort. However, having an at least adequate car helps, and whatever you have, it has to be maintained meticulously for when you invite dates into your car, which will happen at some point.

5. Higher Education: This is a debatable point. Certainly, higher education isn't needed to be attractive to a mate. But it can help. And tuition keeps getting more and more expensive, setting up scenarios when people are dealing with the costs of higher education 10+ years after their final graduation. I would argue that higher education costs are more burdensome to men, relative to the dating market. There's an inherent advantage to a man getting first a Bachelor's, but then pursuing graduate level degrees. Graduate level degrees can bring about an increase in salary in the right fields, thus making a single man more of a catch to a lady. For women, graduate level degrees do not make her more marketable in the dating realm, as many men do not find women with above a Bachelor's degree appealing for a variety of reasons. But anyone who takes on Bachelor's and/or Master's level degrees incurs steep costs. It is a life changing event.

In developed nations, in particular in the USA, more women are earning Bachelor's Degrees than men, which has been impacting the dating marketplace. Single childless women in their 20s in major metropolitan areas have been out earning their male peers of the same age, having wide ranging implications.

Hello, I represent the International Committee of Your *kitten*.
    While typically people pull information like this from us, we won't even claim responsibility for whatever this is.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, you can probably cut the cost and hassle by just hiring a prostitute. They're usually pretty good about birth control, too.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    funny-gifs-puppy-fail.gif
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Hello, I represent the International Committee of Your *kitten*.
    While typically people pull information like this from us, we won't even claim responsibility for whatever this is.

My guess is he got dumped for being an *kitten*!