Replies

• Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Walk inside and don't give up!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and when I feel winded, I started to panic a bit and it makes it even harder to catch my breath.

I had this one. I wasn't supposed to get my heart rate up to high because of the anxiety, and I'd walk uphill and it would happen. Its very frightening. It took me three years to get to a point where I could do it.
    OH and I can't drive any more either, haven't driven since 1993.
  • cali_flower
    cali_flower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    See a doctor or psychologist to help you with your anxiety. Once the panic attacks go away, other things will get better.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    See a doctor or psychologist to help you with your anxiety. Once the panic attacks go away, other things will get better.

^ Look into this!

Although it's better to exercise for health and fitness reasons, it is not a requirement for weight loss. Focus on losing some weight first before you start exercising, and then take the exercise slow and easy at first. :flowerforyou:
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    You just start.

There will always be excuses and reasons not to but you have to fight that mental battle and just do something. Like others have said, buy a workout video, use youtube, use other phone apps or start using the stairs and increase your use as you get stronger.

Personally, I found that in the beginning, it was easier to work on getting eating at a deficit down before the exercising. Once you start losing weight, it gets easier to think about exercise. Of course, bear in mind you may lose muscle along with fat as you diet and don't exercise.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started at 294. I dreaded doing any form of exercise, especially outside, because people could see me (and Lord only knows what they must have thought), but I went with my husband and kids at firs because I seriously thought I might have a heart attack, and although I could only walk a half mile at a time (and at only around 2 mph), I did it. Did I come back to the house dripping with sweat and a beet red face? Yep. And did I feel good at the end of that half mile? Well, I was tired, my feet hurt, my back hurt, and I thought my shins would never stop hurting, but I felt good about the fact that I did it. I knew it wasn't much, especially since I knew I was going to be capable of so much more. I'm now into my 9th month and I can easily walk for an hour, and at a pace of around 3.75 mph. I'm still just walking, although sometimes I do squats, planks, and push-ups while dinner is cooking. At some point this year, I will probably start using weights to make things more interesting.

As for the weather, I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, and lately, we've had some nasty weather, at least for this area. I will go out and walk in any temperature, but if there's ice on the ground, then I don't get very far. So what do I do then? Yesterday, I shoveled snow....my back patio, the neighbor's driveway and sidewalk and my own driveway again once the snow plow dropped a nice load of frozen snow there. I probably shoveled for the better part of an hour and a half, and I got winded and today I'm aching all over, so I know I got some real exercise. Today, I stayed in because of the ice and lack of leftover snow to shovel, so I did squats with my 90 lb daughter doing piggyback on me. I'll probably regret that tomorrow. :-)

My point is, you do what you can, when you can, and you start small when that's all you can handle. When you can do more, you'll know when you're ready because it will just happen and you'll think to yourself, "whoa....I feel pretty good, I could go even farther." If working out indoors helps with the anxiety, then do that until you feel like you could handle the next step. There are tons of people here who can offer advice and support, and we will, but ultimately, it's up to you to take the steps you need to take. You CAN do it though....you're stronger than the voices in your head. Good luck and let us know how you're doing! :flowerforyou:
  • Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pilates would be great for you. The routines are usely done lying on the floor. Some are 20 minutes, others are 50 minutes. You could try the Winsor Pilates videos. Mary, the instructor, built a lot of routines that are not to fast. As someone else said, if going up the stairs twice is hard, do it only once several times a day at the beginning. Forget about Zumba, it is way too hard for you now. You must begin slowly so you will not hurt yourself. Talk to your doctor, to a nurse to make sure that you do not overdo it, that your body can take the exercice regime and the diet that you want to do. Do not plunge into this blindfully, be sure you are safe.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I started exercising (for the first time in my life, mind you!) at about 330 pounds this past summer. My first day I just went for 8 minutes. Now, at 274 (still super fat, HI THERE!) I workout every day for 50 minutes minimum (some days I do multiple activities and go for 100 minutes). I feel freakin' fantastic!

Here are some tips from someone who was in a similar position to you:

1. You need to start slow, be gentle and generous with yourself. Start slowly, and gradually build up.
    2. Expect to be a little winded. It means you're working hard!
    3. As others have said, there's plenty of stuff on YouTube. I like FitnessBlender.com. It's free, there are tons of different exercise videos of varying lengths and difficulty. You can easily search their site for easier beginner videos (at a larger size, I strongly recommend that you also look out for "low impact" videos) that are short (say, 5 or 6 minutes at first!) and gradually start doing longer ones. Choose stretching and warm up videos first! They have several 5 minute warm up videos, and some of them are super super easy.
    4. Tough love here: you're going to have to learn to recognize that voice in your head that says "I CAN'T." That voice isn't helping you, hon. That voice is getting in your way. Tell it to shut up and get with the program. Listen for the voice that says "Try. Just TRY." Maybe it'll be difficult, maybe you won't be very good at it (okay, probably you won't be very good at it), but THAT'S OKAY. It's better than sitting on the couch, right?
    5. Get some sturdy shoes and exercise-appropriate socks dedicated to exercise time. Don't ruin your feet. You need them.
    6. I personally have found the most motivating part of exercise to be the knowledge that if I weren't exercising, I would have to eat a lot less. Obvious, I know, but when you have a lot of weight to lose and you know you're going to be restricting your diet for a LONG TIME, having a few extra hundred calories to play with every day is a HUGE help and deterrent to just giving up. I've been maintaining a huge caloric deficit for months (steadily losing the legendary 2 lbs a week) but I still get to have wine with dinner or bacon on alternate Sundays or a piece of chocolate now and then and it doesn't blow my diet because I exercise. Your mileage may vary based on your eating plan and your fitness objectives.

TTF8A4r.gif
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    when i was 300lbs i couldnt walk up the stairs anymore and used to sleep on the couch instead of my bedroom. i understand the weather right now is crazy ( i live in buffalo ny ) where we are noted for bad winter weather. it is below zero here right now!!! if you can only walk up and down the stairs twice then just do it twice. I would recommend you do it every day with one day of rest and do it twice every day for a week. the next week try to make it three times. trust me when i first started walking outside i walked ten minutes and that was it. now im running in organized runs . just ran on my treadmill for 50 minutes because i am training for an upcoming 8k. i sleep in my bed now too :). it takes time but you need to be consistant and challenge y ourself a bit . try to turn on some tunes and do a little boogy oogy oogy in the living room for a few songs too! that was really helpful for me and it was way more activitity than i was used to at the time . you dont need to go to a gym or outside right now if you cant do that.
  • jbastone
    jbastone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey about a year ago at 326lbs, I couldn't walk around the block without feeling winded or without my back or ankles or knees hurting nor did I want to go out for fear of someone seeing me and passing judgement.

I started by just marching on the spot during commercial breaks while watching tv...that became easier and then I started to march on the spot while the show was on from commercial to commercial...soon I was walking for 20 min and moving up by a few minutes each time I did this (which was 1 a week at first and finally 5 days a week).

Now a year later, by making small changes and watching my diet, I have dropped 119 lbs can walk for hours at a time, use my stationary bike 30-60 min a day and weight lift 2 days a week.

It is possible, start small, one step at a time, one minute at a time. every small step helps. Take it moment by moment and the task won't be so hard. Celebrate each and every little victory...they pave the way to your greatness:flowerforyou:

35250411.png
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would start with 30 day shred & burn at least 200 calories. You can also start with home calisthenics.

She's 300 pounds and gets winded going up a flight of stairs. Are you trying to kill her?

I was 300 pounds when I started 30DS...modification is where it's at! You have to start somewhere or you'll just keep making excuses.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I just want to second a lot of commenters who are saying, take it slow, take it easy, but get moving.
    Do a mix of cardio and weights. (Climbing the stairs is a bit of both)

As for food choices, I wouldn't worry too much about calories and deficit. I would take a look at your eating habits and every week changing one thing for the better. Like reducing pop (if you drink it), to adding a 2nd vegetable to dinner.

I find I get depressed if I stay at home and isolated. Working out gives me a high, but so does a 5 minute phone conversation with my sisters, nieces, nephews, friends, etc.

Good luck and don't give up