Which deadlift form do you do/prefer?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Conventional. THe others (aside from sumo) are pointless. Romanian is ok. Stiff legged will jack your back if not done properly. Great for strecthing the Hams,though.

Sure, RDL and SLDL may be "easier" to hurt yourself with, but ANY DL will jack up your back if not done properly.

As far as OP goes, conventional for me. I've done sumo, but I really dislike (as in, it's one of the few things in the world I'd legitimately say that I hate) the way it feels.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I do conventional and sumo
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Romanian is my favorite!
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Romanian is my favorite!

Mine too! I actually love any and all kinds of deadlift, but Romanian is my go-to.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like doing SLDLs for leg day before I do leg curls.

But otherwise, I do regular DLs, with a slightly wide foot stance, grabbing the bar between my feet vs on the outside of my feet.....
    Makes it a bit easier on my back
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The trap bar deadlift is my favorite.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I warm up and cool down with stiff leg deadlifts.
    I go for 1rm with conventional.
    Otherwise, I alternate sumo and conventional.

I was under the impression trap bar deadlift was more of a squat that starts on the ground.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do conventional. But I worry about them. I have an ACL repair, done fairly recently. I also have a bit of a meniscus tear. I am afraid deadlifting -- and that range of motion of the knee -- puts a lot of stress on the ACL, in a way that squatting doesn't. I also kind of assume it puts loads of pressure on the meniscus. Fortunately, I do not deadlift that heavy. . . comparatively
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Jefferson.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    I do them all. They all contribute their piece to training. Knowing when and which to use a specific style is the key though
  • RxKetogenicRx
    Options
    The trap bar deadlift is my favorite.
    I so miss trap bars...most gyms don't have though!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Conventional. I train for competitions as well as just overall strength so either that or sumo has to be my main style. I chose conventional simply because it just fits me best, sumo feels more uncomfortable.

I've never tried trap bar though, and I'd quite like to. I think because it sounds easier / less chance of form going to dust! My gym doesn't have one though :/
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting thread.

Conventionals are where I'm strongest (pictured is me doing 335x2) but I love all deadlifts. Been playing around with Jeffersons a lot lately working to improve my form there. I recently posted video of myself doing a set of them.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I prefer conventional, but I like sumo and straight leg too.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Conventional.

Stiff leg = throws out your lower back.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Conventional.

Improperly performed Stiff leg = throws out your lower back.

Fixed that for you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to alternate between traditional and RDL. This particular cycle I'm doing RDL and really targeting my hamstrings. I work in 4 week mesocycles so I switch it up usually every 4-8 weeks depending on what I'm feeling and what I want to work on. Doing RDL's gives my CNS a bit of a break.

I'd also add that I switch up my squats as well...front squats/back squats.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i do them all... conventional and sumo are alternated as primary and secondary on my deadlift days. stiff legged and romanian are accessory work for my leg days. and when i just feel like moving a crap ton of weight i use trap bar. by far the deadlift variation that allows the most weight to be lifted with considerably less lower back stress.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'8" so I feel almost like sumo style would be cheating in a way, haha.

I stick to conventional and occasionally, stiff leg dead lifting if I want to really hit on the hamstrings.
  • NoVatheNinja
    NoVatheNinja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Conventional all the way. You can really destroy your lower back if you have the slightest slip in form while doing stiff-legged deadlifts.