cutting out sugar

Options
I was reading an article today in the Times Style magazine, which said that sugar hidden in food is the reason why we are fatter than ever. Some health organisations even say that we should be eating as little as 6tsp a day for women, and 8tsp a day for men.

Because of this, I'm considering cutting out all sugar in my diet. Does anyone else do this? The article gave some hints - including how diet foods can have more sugar than the non-diet versions and therefore are bad - but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cutting out sugar.
Many thanks

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic is not because of sugar. It's from eating too much of anything. Good luck cutting out sugar. Sugar is a carb and carbs are apart of a balanced diet. I've learned, for me, that to make my diet sustainable for life, cutting things were unnecessary. I eat the same things I always do and will, just in smaller portions and being mindful of my macronutrient ratios.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic. I don't worry about sugar.. I love sugar
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i dont eat sugar, but it took me months to do it and i still have a cheat one in a while :)

Even in a lot of processed meat and white bread is sugar, so its hard as :P
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I still eat fruits and whole grains btw
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is shocking how much stuff has sugar. I read lables for everything I buy and avoid cereals with sugar which is tough, and marinades and sauces with sugar, most have some.

But I like sugar, and I believe if it is naturally occuring like in plain yoguart or fruit it is fine.

I just don't like it sneaking up on me in savoury items!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out sugar unless you're a diabetic (or other metabolic disease), or you're having trouble meeting you protein and fat macros within your calorie allowance.

I would seriously reconsider making any decisions about your health or diet based on an article you read. Skepticism may be the healthiest habit you can adopt.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes! Since I cut most sugar out of my diet I feel so much better. And I am slimmer all over.. People think eating fat is why they are fat but they are wrong. Fat is an essential nutrient we all need (just don't overindulge) Sugar is the culprit and it is in almost all processed foods. I even watch my fruit intake
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    I don't have any health problems that would be worsened with sugar consumption, so no, I don't cut out sugar. It has been helpful for my sister in the past, but only to lessen migraines, not for weight loss.

That recommended daily limit would be reached with a banana and part of an orange. Meaning, no naturally occurring sugar in anything else for the rest of the day. That is not realistic to me.
  • rdpapag
    rdpapag Posts: 17
    Options
    I am not cutting sugar completely but for the next month or two I'm being very focused on making sure I'm under my daily limit for sugars. I've regularly been high everyday in the sugar category and I'm pretty sure thats why I still have that little bit of stomach fat on the lower part.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I was reading an article today in the Times Style magazine, which said that sugar hidden in food is the reason why we are fatter than ever. Some health organisations even say that we should be eating as little as 6tsp a day for women, and 8tsp a day for men.

Because of this, I'm considering cutting out all sugar in my diet. Does anyone else do this? The article gave some hints - including how diet foods can have more sugar than the non-diet versions and therefore are bad - but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cutting out sugar.
    Many thanks

Yeah, no. Basically ignore all of this unless you have some sort of medical reason to monitor your sugar intake, or if you find that too much sugar is making you feel sluggish or unsatiated.
    I have a low sugar diet just so I can fit more food in with the same calories, allowing me to get more macronutrients and feel fuller for longer.
    If you want to lose weight then focus on a consistent caloric deficit, not sugar intake. If you want to have a "better" diet focus on what macro- and micro-nutrients you consume, not merely your sugar intake.
    And if you are still worried about it, exercise regularly to burn off any sugar you are consuming.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, so I'll just ask. Are you logging your food? Are there places you can easily cut sugar? If yes, why not start with that?

Not dissing eating clean. I'm all for improving our eating habits. In the UK, only 1 in 6 adults have ever prepared a meal from scratch, and the US is sure to be just as pathetic. Probably any #firstworld country, really. So, if you can tweak your current eating habits to a bit less sugar and processed foods, you're sure to benefit.

One really nice halo effect is that if you are eating less sugar, you have a greater appreciation for things like fruit. One of many reasons to stick with a moderate approach and not simply switch to artificial sweeteners. Try for real balance.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM currently watching this documentary about sugar
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic is not because of sugar. It's from eating too much of anything. Good luck cutting out sugar. Sugar is a carb and carbs are apart of a balanced diet. I've learned, for me, that to make my diet sustainable for life, cutting things were unnecessary. I eat the same things I always do and will, just in smaller portions and being mindful of my macronutrient ratios.

sugar is a carb, sure, but sugar is not a good choice of carbohydrate for a balanced diet. Sugar is not necessary.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    I am not cutting sugar completely but for the next month or two I'm being very focused on making sure I'm under my daily limit for sugars. I've regularly been high everyday in the sugar category and I'm pretty sure thats why I still have that little bit of stomach fat on the lower part.

It's not. There's plenty of people on here with flat stomachs who consume well over the crazy low mfp sugar limit
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Many thanks

My suggestion to you is to try it for 30 days and collect data on how it makes you feel. Everyone's reply will only be based on subjective experience. I don't eat sugar that's not present in fruits, vegetables and other wholefoods. It works for me but it may not work for you or anyone else.

Try it and post back on your results.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

sugar is a carb, sure, but sugar is not a good choice of carbohydrate for a balanced diet. Sugar is not necessary.

Carbs are carbs..
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about natural sugars in fruit and vegetables, but I try to avoid anything with added sugar. . No sugar in my coffee or tea, no sugary drinks. I limit sauces and things with added sugar, like ketchup or bbq sauce.

I figure I only have so many carbs and calories a day, I'd rather use them on something else.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Meh, I guess if you're sedentary sugar isn't necessary but it's pretty useful for certain athletic situations.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Many thanks

I follow the no sugar no grains approach. Sugar and grains are especially bad at spiking insulin and causing fat gain and hunger. By cutting sugar you will make you life much easier by making yourself less hungry and your body will become adapted at using fat as its primary fuel.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The article was saying how sugar is an empty calorie, whereas fat is needed. Sugar is a pure "energy bomb" and serves no purpose in the diet, and is even thought to be tricking our brains into eating more than we need.