cutting out sugar

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Processed food = sugar! Ketchup, hamburgers, mustard, cereal, fruit yogurt, chocholate milk, bread, salad dressings, flavoured water, canned food, "healthy" bars, even dried fruit has added sugar. Yesterday I saw so called diet yogurt with 0.1 % of fat and 26 g of added sugar. Oh, well...

yeah exactly - that in eating "diet" food we end up gaining weight

No. You gain weight eating in a calorie surplus. Not because of sugar. An imbalanced diet might make you feel crappy but you can't gain weight without eating over maintenance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1112412--the-problem-with-sugar-is-your-problem-with-sugar?hl=Your+problem+with+sugar

Sorry, worded that badly. Sugar really, really is the enemy because it is so high in calories, and it is in everything, and we don't notice it in our foods. But low-calorie foods often have high sugar contents, which deliver far more calories than, for example,t he same amount of fat. And a high carb, low fat diet contains loads of sugar - low fat foods are crammed with sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM a good documentary on this phenomenon. around 39 mins he talks about diet foods.

The only enemy in our lives that contributes to our weight gain or sabotage is ourselves. The first thing that anyone can do to lose weight is realize food is not the enemy. The second I erased the words "good" and "bad" from my thought of foods was a monumental thing. I focus on nutrient density and balancing my diet but I will always eat ice cream and cookies. Foods are only what we make of them.

edited to add: nutritional labels already add the calories from sugar, as someone else mentioned. There's no secret sugar being slipped into your things
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I eat sugar and have about 11% body fat...

I ate sugar, too, and had 11% bodyfat, but now eat very little, am again very lean, and am much healthier inside. Whatever works, right!?
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article today in the Times Style magazine, which said that sugar hidden in food is the reason why we are fatter than ever. Some health organisations even say that we should be eating as little as 6tsp a day for women, and 8tsp a day for men.

Because of this, I'm considering cutting out all sugar in my diet. Does anyone else do this? The article gave some hints - including how diet foods can have more sugar than the non-diet versions and therefore are bad - but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cutting out sugar.
    Many thanks
    I haven't eaten refined white sugar for about a year and restrict occasional sweetened food to those made from honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or fruits. I had headaches, cravings, temptations to avoid, hated having to make excuses and I caved in every so often.

I don't have health issues, but I don't want them either when I get older so I say why continue without at least thinking about your sugar (and sodium) content. As the article may have suggested we have far too much of it in our diets, more than my parents did and way more than theirs did.

Not all Type 2 diabetics are obese it's just more common and by the time you are diagnosed with it, it may be too late to repair the damage. "Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which your pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or your body does not properly use the insulin it makes. As a result, glucose (sugar) builds up in your blood instead of being used for energy"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't consume sugar and my body feels much better for it. Sugar is one more highly processed food. I do not care what kind of diet you follow (just calorie counting, paleo, "clean eating," keto, ... processed foods are never good for you. Furthermore, if you cut sugar out of your diet, within a week's time you will no longer crave it. Gosh, they even put sugar in canned tomatoes and vinegar. You really do have to watch for it.

Ultimately, you have to pick the program that works for you and stick to it. Everyone here has his or her own opinion of what works for them. Some even think that their way is the only right way. Find your path and stick to it. It's your journey, not everybody else's.

Good luck!

sugar occurs naturally …..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think that cutting out PROCESSED sugars from the diet is a great thing! But natural sugars, such as those found naturally in fruit, are not the enemy.

yes, because fruit sugar is superior to plain old sugar..LOLZ..

what if I get my sugar straight from the cane, is it "good" then...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Processed food = sugar! Ketchup, hamburgers, mustard, cereal, fruit yogurt, chocholate milk, bread, salad dressings, flavoured water, canned food, "healthy" bars, even dried fruit has added sugar. Yesterday I saw so called diet yogurt with 0.1 % of fat and 26 g of added sugar. Oh, well...

yeah exactly - that in eating "diet" food we end up gaining weight

No. You gain weight eating in a calorie surplus. Not because of sugar. An imbalanced diet might make you feel crappy but you can't gain weight without eating over maintenance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1112412--the-problem-with-sugar-is-your-problem-with-sugar?hl=Your+problem+with+sugar

Sorry, worded that badly. Sugar really, really is the enemy because it is so high in calories, and it is in everything, and we don't notice it in our foods. But low-calorie foods often have high sugar contents, which deliver far more calories than, for example,t he same amount of fat. And a high carb, low fat diet contains loads of sugar - low fat foods are crammed with sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM a good documentary on this phenomenon. around 39 mins he talks about diet foods.

ehhh..???

if you eat a 100 calorie yogurt that was 15 grams of sugar that is still 100 calories…the sugar is already taken into account

I really do not understand your point...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I ate sugar, too, and had 11% bodyfat, but now eat very little, am again very lean, and am much healthier inside. Whatever works, right!?

eating sugar, or not eating sugar has nothing to do with how lean one is..

eating in a deficit, working out, hitting macros, are what contribute to how lean one is..

there are plenty of people on my FL that eat sugar and are sub 10% body fat and shredded…
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Sugar will cause obesity in some people who are suitable to being addicted to it. Other people will not get addicted to it. It seems impossible for those who don't get addicted to it to understand people that are and unfortunately their advice, while good for themselves, doesn't read across at all for those who can get addicted.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Sugar will cause obesity in some people who are suitable to being addicted to it. Other people will not get addicted to it. It seems impossible for those who don't get addicted to it to understand people that are and unfortunately their advice, while good for themselves, doesn't read across at all for those who can get addicted.

tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

tumblr_mecffj69Wg1qfw2dno1_400.gif
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

I follow the no sugar no grains approach. Sugar and grains are especially bad at spiking insulin and causing fat gain and hunger. By cutting sugar you will make you life much easier by making yourself less hungry and your body will become adapted at using fat as its primary fuel.

^^^ this. Same goes for me.
  • FrauMama
    Options

eating in a deficit, working out, hitting macros, are what contribute to how lean one is..

there are plenty of people on my FL that eat sugar and are sub 10% body fat and shredded…

You are missing my point, which is that I WAS lean eating sugar but am now STILL lean (after a couple of kids) AND have much better blood work (ie healthier on the inside). I am well aware that there are plenty of shredded people on here who eat a ton of sugar.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You are missing my point, which is that I WAS lean eating sugar but am now STILL lean (after a couple of kids) AND have much better blood work (ie healthier on the inside). I am well aware that there are plenty of shredded people on here who eat a ton of sugar.

Interesting. What specific heath markers have improved on your blood tests? What were they before and what are they now?
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

tumblr_mecffj69Wg1qfw2dno1_400.gif

^^^ this. Good post. Hard for people who don't have the problem to recognize the problem existing in others. What is a real biochemical challenge for some gets interpreted as sloth/glutton by those without the challenge.
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    The week before the New Year began (my birthday week ironically) I made the decision to get myself together. Part of my decision to get healthier involves eating cleaner and avoiding processed foods and those foods high in added sugar content. So, I gave myself a pass for Christmas day, but began to shun processed and added sugar foods. My other resolution was to begin working out again and I started on Jan 1.

In the week leading up to the new year, I shed five pounds just by avoiding processed and added sugar foods, while focusing on putting whole foods into my body without really counting calories. I held off on the gym for that week because I was recovering from a nasty bug that's made its way through my household. Since I hit the big 50, losing weight has been very difficult for me. Before that, I was an easy size 7 nearly all of my life--so imagine my surprise when, with very little effort on my part, that five pounds just melted away. I joined myfitnesspal three days ago, and in that time I've lost another 1.8 pounds.

Personally, I am now a big believer in reducing or avoiding all processed foods and sugars and making the effort to eat as cleanly as possible. I think it makes a difference. While calories in and calories out is the foundation of any successful weight loss program, I'd certainly rather put 300 calories worth of carrots and hummus into my body than 300 calories worth of cotton candy.

Just my two cents.
  • FrauMama
    Options
    Annnnnd, cue the GIFS. Really??

To answer your question, MoreBean, lower triglycerides, higher HDL, lower LDL. Though I'm not convinced that lower total CHOL is better, but my ratios are ideal now. They were not when I ate much higher carb/sugar, despite being just as (or more) lean and 10+ years YOUNGER.

And I'm not here to argue the fact, or look at GIFS or any of that, just sharing my personal experience. It does blow me away, however, how many people seem so adamant on here about eating crap food. ??
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The article was saying how sugar is an empty calorie, whereas fat is needed. Sugar is a pure "energy bomb" and serves no purpose in the diet, and is even thought to be tricking our brains into eating more than we need.

Yes, exactly. People get really emotional when you talk about the evils of sugar. That's because they are addicted.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    Annnnnd, cue the GIFS. Really??

To answer your question, MoreBean, lower triglycerides, higher HDL, lower LDL. Though I'm not convinced that lower total CHOL is better, but my ratios are ideal now. They were not when I ate much higher carb/sugar, despite being just as (or more) lean and 10+ years YOUNGER.

And I'm not here to argue the fact, or look at GIFS or any of that, just sharing my personal experience. It does blow me away, however, how many people seem so adamant on here about eating crap food. ??

Thanks for sharing, Fraumama. What you are reporting is exactly what is shown in medical literature and test trials.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    The article was saying how sugar is an empty calorie, whereas fat is needed. Sugar is a pure "energy bomb" and serves no purpose in the diet, and is even thought to be tricking our brains into eating more than we need.

Yes, exactly. People get really emotional when you talk about the evils of sugar. That's because they are addicted.

There is sugar in fruits and vegetables. Cutting to 6 tsp/day is unrealistic, even if you're eating "clean". That is so restrictive and has nothing to do with addiction.

Edit: OP forgot to add that the 6 tsp/day was referring to added sugar, not naturally occurring sugar in fruits and vegetables. Well, that makes a lot more sense. :)
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

There is sugar in fruits and vegetables. Cutting to 6 tsp/day is unrealistic, even if you're eating "clean". That is so restrictive and has nothing to do with addiction.

Cutting to 6 tsp is not unrealistic ...nor restrictive. It's not hard to do.