ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Starting a new thread for this week.

My goal is 100 miles.

Monday - 17 miles
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this week's thread! I was out riding and didn't get to it before I left.

I got in 50 miles today--really really really wanted to get closer to 60 but the humidity is just disgusting. I started feeling sick, and I mean not good at all, so got to 50 and called hubby for SAG pick-up
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Humidity is the worst. When we do our long rides we start out really early and even then it is too hot by the time we get home!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Humidity is the worst. When we do our long rides we start out really early and even then it is too hot by the time we get home!!

I left the house at 5:45am hoping to get home before it got bad but no such luck. Ugggh. sun2.gif

Can't wait for fall!
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I made my goal last week. I'm going to stick with 40 miles for this week as well just because, looking at the weather forecast, it looks like it's going to be a bit wet here this week.

It looks like after yesterday's 14 mile family ride we are in training for a 22 mile route on the "Peach of a Ride" in Armada, Michigan. Coming up in early September ... hopefully we can stay on the wagon until then!!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    My plan for this week is:

Tuesday : ----20 (at least)
    Wednesday : 80
    Thursday: ----depends how I feel
    Saturday:
    40 if I am not too tired after work

Since I am already almost there I am thinking about trying the full century in August already instead of October. Which would mean I will not go to the Seagull shore:cry: .
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    only got in 58 miles last week.. :frown:

This week my goal is 150.... have got to be ready for the century ride in Sept.!!!!

Mon - o
    Tues - 35 miles

happy biking everyone!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did not meet my goal of 73 last week, so I'm making that my goal this week. I did 40 yesterday.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Going for a new record Saturday...50+ miles. I think I can...I think I can...I think I can!!!!!

Monday - 17 miles
    Tuesday - 7 miles
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Got a short ride to the local library down the old railroad trail tonight with the family (child and a stack of books in the trailer).

Tuesday: 5.25 miles

Saved about $1.25 on gas ... who hoo!!! I can buy a bottle of pop tomorrow!! :laugh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Yesterday was a gym day, so no miles.

Today, got in 16 miles early.

Gives me 66 for the week.
  • cpumpkins
    cpumpkins Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the biking group. I bike to and from school almost everyday or at least 1 way if it's raining (I live in Miami) (round trip 22 miles). I just got a brand new road bike (Jamis-Ventura sport) and I road it for the first time today. What an amazing difference between a hybrid/mountain bike and an actual road bike!! If you don't have a road bike, I HIGHLY recommend it! I managed to find a 2007 Jamis model on super sale. Otherwise it would've cost around $750-$800 (and that's cheap!). I'm still amazed at all of the "fancy" bicyclists that zoom past me on Key Biscayne with their $6,000 carbon fiber bikes. Incredible. Anyway, this morning, my chain fell off when I was testing out the different gears. Is there some kind of "Road Biking for Dummies" manual? I obviously have no idea what gears are appropriate for road biking. So far everyone has told me that I should be using the "top" gear unless I'm doing some really fast riding. I'm managing about 14-17 MPH on flat road and 30-32 MPH downhill, 11-13 MPH uphill (the ONLY hill we have in Miami is a manmade bridge known as the Rickenbacker Causeway). Anyway, any help on gear shifting or biking/ riding expertise is much appreciated.
    THANKS!! You guys are logging some serious miles!
  • cpumpkins
    Options
    Correction- I should be using the "bottom" gear, NOT the top gear. Woops!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the biking group. I bike to and from school almost everyday or at least 1 way if it's raining (I live in Miami) (round trip 22 miles). I just got a brand new road bike (Jamis-Ventura sport) and I road it for the first time today. What an amazing difference between a hybrid/mountain bike and an actual road bike!! If you don't have a road bike, I HIGHLY recommend it! I managed to find a 2007 Jamis model on super sale. Otherwise it would've cost around $750-$800 (and that's cheap!). I'm still amazed at all of the "fancy" bicyclists that zoom past me on Key Biscayne with their $6,000 carbon fiber bikes. Incredible. Anyway, this morning, my chain fell off when I was testing out the different gears. Is there some kind of "Road Biking for Dummies" manual? I obviously have no idea what gears are appropriate for road biking. So far everyone has told me that I should be using the "top" gear unless I'm doing some really fast riding. I'm managing about 14-17 MPH on flat road and 30-32 MPH downhill, 11-13 MPH uphill (the ONLY hill we have in Miami is a manmade bridge known as the Rickenbacker Causeway). Anyway, any help on gear shifting or biking/ riding expertise is much appreciated.
    THANKS!! You guys are logging some serious miles!

welcome6ld.gif

Glad you can join our biking group!

I've always heard that it's better to pedal faster in a lower gear than to "mash" a higher gear--that's it is typically a mistake new riders make. I know I did! I thought "the higher gear the better" but that's not the case. Pick a gear you feel comfortable pushing and just pedal a faster cadence (pace).

sounds like you're getting good speeds, too.

the most important thing about riding is to have fun--go as far as it is fun for you. Once it stops being fun, you'll not want to do it anymore, so keep it fun!

Also, some of us have goals of doing Metric Centuries (64 miles), Centuries (100 miles), and further, so that's why we're logging big miles--trying to train for those upcoming rides.

Don't feel left out or discouraged if you don't get in a lot of miles. Even 30-60 minutes a day riding is great exercise!

Be careful in Miami! I know the traffic there is nuts!
  • cpumpkins
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Yes, traffic here is incredibly insane. There is a fairly large biking community, but only out here on Key Biscayne. I ride with a co-worker through downtown Miami and while it's pretty safe, there is so much debris from all of the new construction. It's amazing the number of buildings that have been built within the past year. They are all empty though (no kidding!). Miami has recently made biking safer by putting bike paths on streets that run parallel to major/ busy roads so my commute isn't so bad. In a good week, I'll bike about 65-80 miles otherwise if it's rainy (Miami rainy season is not so great for bikers as we never really know when a rain storm/lightening etc. will blow our way and there is always a 30-50% chance of rain). I will try biking home today on the bottom gear and increase my cadence. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully my chain won't fall off! ha ha.
  • readyforyou
    Options
    I was at about mile 19 last night when I got a flat :grumble: Luckily someone else out riding that late came past and had a patch kit and got me all patched up. Couldnt get enough air (only had a hand pump) to do any more serious riding so i hadta head home.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I got in 20 miles this morning!

I have gone to two days of physical therapy and am feeling GREAT results. He adjusted some bones in my foot today and all ready I feel a lot less pain. He didn't tape me up due to my riding. I go back Friday and if it is still feeling good then no tape. If it gets worse then I am tape bound.

Monday - 17 miles
    Tuesday - 7 miles
    Weds - 20 miles
  • shorerider
    Options

I have gone to two days of physical therapy and am feeling GREAT results. He adjusted some bones in my foot today and all ready I feel a lot less pain. He didn't tape me up due to my riding. I go back Friday and if it is still feeling good then no tape. If it gets worse then I am tape bound.

Monday - 17 miles
    Tuesday - 7 miles
    Weds - 20 miles

adjusted bones? That sounds lovely :sick:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

Monday - 17 miles
    Tuesday - 7 miles
    Weds - 20 miles

adjusted bones? That sounds lovely :sick:

It was painless, actually and my heel feels much better. So I am grateful. Maybe I can start back running soon so I can do the triathlon next June that I missed this year due to bum foot!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Welcome to the biking group cpumpkins:flowerforyou:

As a general rule you should pedal as easy as you can without having the feeling that you spin out... i.e. it gets uncomfortable. Shift down early on that hill. As shorerider said usually beginners tend to pedal to hard, meaning they use muscle power and then get tired faster. Easy does it! You will after a few hundred miles get a pretty good feeling for what your comfort zone is. If you plan to ride a longer distance take it deliberately very VERY easy in the beginning, even easier than you usually do. Your first goal is to ride what ever number of miles you want to ride in one day. Then after that if you want to you can work on riding the same distance faster. That is already advanced "clases":wink:

Tailwinds