cutting out sugar

Options

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You never hear advice that it is okay to smoke in moderation because it causes cancer, but you continually hear on these boards that refined sugar is okay in moderation despite the fact that it causes diabetes.

Except the fact that even the American Diabetes Association says too much sugar causing diabetes is a myth. There is no link between any one food that contributes to diabetes.

I don't think you are correct. According to the ADA, on their web page diabetes.org, they do state sugar is associated to diabetes type 2. Here's a quote from ADA:

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

QFT^^

Sugar is associated with diabetes and insulin resistance. The ADA actually gives some of the worst advice to diabetics. They recommend literally hundreds of grams of carbs per day when many diabetics could limit carbs and significantly stabilize blood sugar.

Consumption of sugar causes your body to release insulin. Insulin causes your body to store fat which causes your body to burn sugar. Eventually your body consumes the sugar, but the insulin is still hanging around. You then feel hungry and desire more sugar.

I'm in total agreement with you, bpotts44.
  • roverlass64
    Options
    Learn all the different names that sugar goes by. You will be shocked how much sugar is in our foods. There are some very good publications on how to safely eliminate too much sugar from your diet and what to use as replacements. Good Luck!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You never hear advice that it is okay to smoke in moderation because it causes cancer, but you continually hear on these boards that refined sugar is okay in moderation despite the fact that it causes diabetes.

Except the fact that even the American Diabetes Association says too much sugar causing diabetes is a myth. There is no link between any one food that contributes to diabetes.

I don't think you are correct. According to the ADA, on their web page diabetes.org, they do state sugar is associated to diabetes type 2. Here's a quote from ADA:

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

ADA website: http://m.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

Myth: diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar
    Fact: Type two is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

The ADA seems to state pretty plainly that too much sugar causing diabetes is a myth. Like. Literally calls it a myth. Not much up to interpretation there, actually.

Sugary drinks are linked to obesity which is linked to diabetes but A being linked to B and B being linked to C doesn't mean you can draw a link from A to C.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love sugar and sugary foods but I noticed it does create problems for me, health wise, so I have tried to cut down a lot on sugars but not cut it out completely. Fruits and other healthy things have sugars in them. Just read labels and get low sugar foods.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. Barring specific health issues, I.e. diabetes, There's no reason to cut it out of your diet. It's long, but worth the read:
    http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    interpreted as sloth/glutton by those without the challenge.

What the hell 50px-Purple_question_mark.svg.png

2VHipxo.jpg
  • HoverKitteh
    Options

QFT^^

Sugar is associated with diabetes and insulin resistance. The ADA actually gives some of the worst advice to diabetics. They recommend literally hundreds of grams of carbs per day when many diabetics could limit carbs and significantly stabilize blood sugar.

Consumption of sugar causes your body to release insulin. Insulin causes your body to store fat which causes your body to burn sugar. Eventually your body consumes the sugar, but the insulin is still hanging around. You then feel hungry and desire more sugar.

This is absolutely why I've made the decision to limit processed foods and sugars. My father developed Type 2 diabetes in his older years and I firmly believe that it was because of his candy addiction. My father was a recovering alcoholic--sober through A. A. for 52 years when he passed away. Like so many addicts, my father traded sugar for alcohol. And now, I've been trying to get my Type 2 diabetic sweetie to limit his sugar and carb intake for years, but he's addicted and won't give up his sodas and white sourdough toast. He carries his weight around his middle and there's nothing anyone can tell me that will make me believe that the processed foods and sugars he downs daily are not responsible for his health condition, even though the amount of food he eats every day is reasonable and not excessive.

I choose a healthier life.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

QFT^^

This is absolutely why I've made the decision to limit processed foods and sugars. My father developed Type 2 diabetes in his older years and I firmly believe that it was because of his candy addiction. My father was a recovering alcoholic--sober through A. A. for 52 years when he passed away. Like so many addicts, my father traded sugar for alcohol. And now, I've been trying to get my Type 2 diabetic sweetie to limit his sugar and carb intake for years, but he's addicted and won't give up his sodas and white sourdough toast. He carries his weight around his middle and there's nothing anyone can tell me that will make me believe that the processed foods and sugars he downs daily are not responsible for his health condition, even though the amount of food he eats every day is reasonable and not excessive.

The reason for his health issues is he eats to much and does not exercise!!!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

QFT^^

Now there's a solid internet diagnosis.

dr-Oz.jpg
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Christianwife, very bold to presume her husband is fat due to eating to much and not exercising. I hope you are not making these statements of fact over the internet based on a few sentences posted by his wife without so much as even knowing his name. This is why these forums are mostly bad advice and full of personal bias. WoW!
  • HoverKitteh
    Options

QFT^^

In total calories? No he really doesn't. He eats only what I fix each day (which is mainly whole foods) but he supplements his diet with a daily soda and a daily snack of sourdough toast.

He's six feet tall, weighs about 190 and his daily intake looks like this:

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 toast or a bowl of cereal
    Lunch: a can of Progresso soup or a lean cuisine
    Dinner: Homemade and based on lean protein and veggies with brown rice or whole grain pasta.
    Snacks EVERY day: one 20 oz soda and white sourdough toast and an occasion package of M&Ms.

Walks the dogs for a mile every day.

So too much food and no exercise? No, I don't think so.

Crap processed carbs and sugar? Bingo! We have a winner.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.

QFT^^

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

When I feel hungry I desire fats and protein...not sugar btw. Having a lot of your caloric intake from sugar is probably not the best for satiety, but that is a different issue than being discussed here.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Christianwife, very bold to presume her husband is fat due to eating to much and not exercising. I hope you are not making these statements of fact over the internet based on a few sentences posted by his wife without so much as even knowing his name. This is why these forums are mostly bad advice and full of personal bias. WoW!

I giggled.

Not with you though. At you.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is the same advice that has led to almost 10% of the population having type 2 diabetes. It is a disease of insulin resistance and sugar causes spikes in insulin. The ADA's advice doesn't take account current research. In fact, current research shows this same metabolic dysfunction causes a host of other diseases as well like dementia, heart disease, etc.
  • Achrya
    Options
    This is the same advice that has led to almost 10% of the population having type 2 diabetes. It is a disease of insulin resistance and sugar causes spikes in insulin. The ADA's advice doesn't take account current research. In fact, current research shows this same metabolic dysfunction causes a host of other diseases as well like dementia, heart disease, etc.

Links to research please.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

QFT^^

I am a Type 2 Diabetic diagnosed in 2007 at a then weight of 560 lbs. unable to walk pretty much trapped in my house for over 2 years do to my weight issues... I had an inoperable liver, failing kidneys and was a ticking time bomb. My Endo looked at my blood work and bluntly said to my face at the rate you are going with your blood work and eating (consuming over 10,000 calories a day), he gave me a year maybe 2 at best and someone was going to be digging me an early grave. I heeded his warning and asked for help. he grabbed his script pad from his pocket and said and I quote "I can't help you with the mental side of this journey, you are going to have to seek out therapy for that but here is a script to meet with my dietician and another for Aquatic therapy, I would advise you to seek out all 3 and I want to see you back here in 3 weeks to begin monitoring your progress." I took all of his advance started therapy, went to PT for Aquatic therapy at the YMCA therapy pool, and sat with the dietician. Her advice from the get go was work with my mental therapist to get a handle on my food addictions and establish a eating plan that is sustainable... She said to use the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) and that I was to log and measure everything I consume, stick to the number of calories we set, hit my 3 macro's and beyond that just work hard.... I asked about carbs and sugar and whatnot and she told me sugar is a subset of carbs and if you are eating within your set calorie limits, hitting your macro's then there was absolutely no reason to track sugar consumption period...

So I took her advice never worried about sugar (replacing tracking it with tracking fiber). Flash foward 4 years (3 years of weight loss and a little over a year of maintenance) and I have lost and kept off 312 lbs. , I exercise 6 days a week, have graduated the 12 step program for my addiction to food, and have A1c's that have average 5.3 over the last 2 years... and have perfect bloodwork and no liver or kidney issues anymore... I started out back then consuming around 240 grams of carbs a day with carbs making up 40-50% of my macro's depending on whether I am losing or maintaining and over my lose have increased my calorie intake and today I consume over 400 grams of carbs daily in maintenance... Type 2 diabetic issues run more so than just having a sugar issues as you say, there are multiple variables that come into play.... Sorry for your lose.......
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    Interesting responses to that insulin blog.

And just to be clear, my father didn't die from the Type 2 Diabetes. He had heart issues and these caused his demise. Let me also state that my father was never overweight. He was 5'10" and weighed about 155 when he died. But I cannot believe that the diabetes didn't contribute to his overall health problems. He never gave up the candy though. Until the day he died, he plowed through an entire package of salt water taffy every night.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not sure who you are directing your comment at, but could you point us to this research?

Also, I am pretty sure that obesity has something to do with the prevalence of insulin resistance.

Also, protein is insulinogenic. Should we avoid that also?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Not sure who you are directing your comment at, but could you point us to this research?

Also, I am pretty sure that obesity has something to do with the prevalence of insulin resistance.

Also, protein is insulinogenic. Should we avoid that also?

Here are some articles published in medical journals stating that harmful effects of sugar go way beyond empty calories. When consumed in excess, it can lead to severe harmful effects on metabolism and cause insulin resistance, fatty liver disease and various other metabolic disorders. The studies show that in the long run, a high consumption of sugar is strongly associated with the risk of obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.

Stanhope KL, et al. Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2009.

Stanhope KL, et al. Adverse metabolic effects of dietary fructose: results from the recent epidemiological, clinical, and mechanistic studies. Current Opinion in Lipidology, 2013.

Ludwig DS, et al. Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. The Lancet, 2001.

Schulze MB, et al. Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, Weight Gain, and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes in Young and Middle-Aged Women. Journal of the American Medical Association, 2004.

Bostick RM, et al. Sweetened beverage consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in women. Cancer Causes & Control, 1994.

You're welcome.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I went without sugar for a year and dropped weight consistently until I had lost about 65 pounds. As soon as I started adding sugar back into my diet I gained it all back. Bottom line sugar has no nutritional value, it is not needed for any reason and provides nothing but empty calories. Not sure why so many people are pro sugar but you will be better off without it.

You gained it back because you ate at a surplus, or gained it back adding sugar to your diet while still in a deficit?