Polar loop - reviews? To buy or not ?

Options

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I got him this because i thought it was an easier thing to wear for him that is rather than strapping on a HR monitor along with a watch. I need more accurate readings, hence why I have the FT60 so thought this would be more of a general thing for him.

Not sure why it starts out with calories already when I sync it. I didnt find the manual nor the site too helpful, but will probably look again, not thinking I should have just gotten him a tradition HR monitor.

I get it. My BF has a hard time with the chest strap too. When I contacted Polar in the beginning I was so frustrated I was going to return it but I do like it now. If I had decided to return it they were nice enough to offer me a discount on the FT60 even though I didn't even buy the Loop through them. They have been doing updates since I first got it in November and I have seen improvements but I do think their website could still use some more. Not sure where you bought it buy maybe you can exchange it. Good luck.
  • Filmoi
    Filmoi Posts: 2
    Options
    Totally agree with all of the above.

I too bought the Polar Loop after having great success with the Fitbit Flex and looking for the heartrate interface and hoping for an all in one solution.

What a WOFTAM the loop has turned out to be.

It doesn't sync with my existing polar sensors, doesn't sync with my android phone and the existing software is junk. My bad, should have read the specs first but come on why sell it without a sensor or developed software in the first place. Hell, it isn't hard to work out what software is needed, look at what the leaders are doing.

The existing web based software is completely useless. The Fitbit Flex is very intuitive and not only tells you calories expended but the software makes you consider and record your calories consumed. I guess all it (FBF) needs is a heart rate monitor and GPS capability and digital watch and it would be perfect.

Polar should have had a great advantage in this sphere but they have completely dropped the ball. Rather than handing the flex to a family member I am simply going to dump the LOOP and stay with the number 1.

When someone comes up with an android app for the LOOP I may reconsider but for now you have lost me POLAR.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When someone comes up with an android app for the LOOP I may reconsider but for now you have lost me POLAR.

From that review above, where the reviewer has access to Polar's inside people, March/April is when the Android app is expected.
    They are basically using the iPhone app as beta since it's more restrictive, and if it works well there, Android should be easy conversion as most of the guts stay the same.

The app does appear pretty slick, but again, up to Polar to make their stuff work with others like MFP, or for MFP to see a financial advantage to spend their own money coding not only their side, but Polar's side of the equation as well.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    The app does appear pretty slick, but again, up to Polar to make their stuff work with others like MFP, or for MFP to see a financial advantage to spend their own money coding not only their side, but Polar's side of the equation as well.

Hi Hay, snow must be keeping you in today. Wife and Youngest is headed your direction so see the KU game. I think they are crazy but my son says "Dad it is like Muslims feel about Mecca", LOL.

I have to disagree with you about the slickness of the app. It does not provide much detail compared to other "activity Tracker" apps and the website is very misleading since it combines Flow (the Loop Info) and Beat. Most people would think the two combine but they don't. For awhile I was using two sensors to get Beat and Flow info and then deleting the duplicate exercise for the Flow session from the calender. I am haviung issues with Polar's H7 BLE sensor and Gymlink now, I will not wear three sensors so going back to my F7 watch and websync to Polarpersonaltrainer. Based on thier web visibility and App I think the person in charge of the IT group must be over 60. It will improve but as fast as things are moving in this arena something better will come along.

Just the opinion of a Wichita man hunkering down, worrying about freezing pipes and thankful for his new treadmill.
  • alel1977
    Options
    do you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for the polar loop website like with bodymedia?? if so, how much?
  • heybales
    Options
    do you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for the polar loop website like with bodymedia?? if so, how much?

Nope.
  • SJCon
    Options
    Going to write off my Loop as a bad purchase. Recent problems with Polar's Chest strap that sends two signals have caused me to turn away from BLE sensors or at least Polar's.

I posted this on another thread but think it fits here

Maybe the perfect solution is about to come out.

Garmin Vivofit, water resistant to 50 metes, one year battery life, always on display which can show time, learns your activity and notches the goals up a tad each day to keep you pushing, will pair to a HR chest strap that DOES NOT have to be Bluetooth and will connect and update to a Phone app. Does all the Loop promised but better since the HR effort is combined with your activity unlike with the Loop. Shipping in 5-8 weeks. Downside cost $129.

Also Google Nabu by Razor. Lot of new products on shoes a CE.
  • rogueriverbrat
    rogueriverbrat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am very happy with the polar loop , I have had it for a month now, I would purchase it again
  • SJCon
    Options

Wow a HRM that goes in your ear rather than a chest strap, thanks for the heads up. Might make me want to build and use a playlist LOL
  • schirico1964
    Options
    Almost a month now and here's my feedback on the LOOP, in a PROs/CONs format:

========================
    PROs:
    ========================
    Hardware:
    * the loop is a very good piece of hardware, it's quite comfortable. I wear it 24x7 except to charge it, which takes 30 minutes.
    * step counting is accurate, I have walked MILES and manually counted, and after a mile walk it's within 30 steps...I've done this several times.
    * it pairs very easily with the H7 heart rate monitor - just by raising your wrist to your chest, I hit the button to cycle through the modes (TIME, STEPs, Calories, etc.)...by the 2nd time I cycle through a HEART icon shows up, with the Beats Per Minute showing...
    * I'm not an engineer/medical person, so I can verify the CALORIE accuracy, but it IS a motivator!!
    * the graph on the device of how close you are to your goal is also motivational and I love how it recommends things to do in order to hit your goal - 3x now I have walked the dog for 10 minutes, just to get to my goal...that's effective.
    * I think battery life is good, I charge 2x a week, but that's because I want to SYNC...it's never below 30%
    * you can put it in AIRPLANE mode to turn off the Bluetooth - that's nice!
    * it's waterproof - I wash dishes, shower, swim, etc. all good!

SOFTWARE
    * I don't "NEED" an App, I'm happy with using a web site, to me, that means I can see from my phone, my PC, my iPad, my wife's android...if I want to see how I'm doing, I hit the buttons on the screen...
    * the website is called FLOW - I like that you can put your stats (weight, age, lifestyle) and the device will use this in helping to calculate calories. If you do a professional fitness test, you can enter in values for VO2, resting/max heart rate, etc. and this is also used - adds to accuracy...this is nice.
    * the website gives you the ability to see stats by Month, Week, or Day - with increasing detail as you drill down. in particular I love the WEEK view, as you can see active time, training time, and calories at a weeks view, very nice.
    * the DAY view, allows you see how much time was spent sleeping, sitting, standing, walking, and being very active - this is very nice.
    * the TRAINING view, allows you see which training zones you spent time and calories in, this is great detail.

================
    CONs
    ================
    HARDWARE
    * you have to cut the strap to get it to fit - this CAN BE problematic - I suggest you watch the videos on the polar site. if you hold the strap wrong and try to take the pin out, it's spring loaded and can shoot across the room and be lost...so be careful.

SOFTWARE
    * The FLOW site is down way too much, and it doesn't tell you, you'll know when you can't log in, and it asks you to reset your password, which DOESN'T work - come back tomorrow, you'll probably be able to log in.
    * The views aren't consistent...sometimes data is missing in one view, but you'll see it in another - it's buggy.
    * my loop isn't syncing ACTIVITY for the past 3 days, I'm waiting to hear back from POLAR - so I'm putting this under SOFTWARE - but that sucks.
    * it doesn't integrate with MyFitnessPal - I wish it would - so I take the calorie burn every day, subtract my goal at MFP and add that as a POLAR EXERCISE that created at MFP...they then take that into a NET calorie calculation...could be better but it works.
    * now that my activities aren't syncing, I can't see my % of goal reached for the entire month n the month view...
    * their support team has been inconsistent in getting back to me, it SEEMS to be getting better, but end of December they were non-existent...they are responding a bit more now as I have questions....

in Summary:

I love the loop, at the end of the day, it's achieving what I wanted, it's motivating me to be more active...I have hit my goal 13 days in a row, and am off the couch - my wife says I'm looking slimmer.

I HATE their website, it's buggy, inconsistent, and I know it says BETA...but if I can't get syncing my data working it will ruin my experience...I'll post an update later this week to see if it gets resolved.

I'd like the ability to integrate with MyFitnessPal or even better, export to Excel...

I think this has got such great potential, I hope they come through!!!
  • GameTimeKB24
    Options
    I've been using the 1st Gen Nike+ Fuelband for awhile now and am thinking about making the leap to a true HRM. While it's great for tracking your activity and competing with friends, it doesn't provide any accurate useful data like calories burned. I've been searching for a good HRM for the past week.

I just looked into the Polar Loop today and this was the kind of review I was looking for. Very informative and useful. I'll have to think about pulling the trigger tonight. From what I've read on other posts I hope Polar works out all of the bugs soon because seems like the potential is there, it just needs the support.

Thanks Again.
  • schirico1964
    Options
    Update: I woke up and did a sync and all my data synced up - I guess Polar had to reset set something. for all the buginess, and I admit it's been frustrating, I'm glad to see that once things are reset it works again.

I don't care so much about waiting a day or so, as long as I don't lose my data...that's the most important thing..I can review at the end of the week and see my progress and I'm happy.

I DO hope they keep improving their web experience as it does need work.

summary: I"m happy again.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Here's my update for anyone thinking of buying the Loop.

I haven't had any problems syncing with the website. I do it once a day. Haven't lost any data. I don't have an app on my phone but that was not an important feature for me and I also have an Android so when I bought it in November I knew it wasn't available but coming from the first generation Bodybugg and my previous Polar that uploaded with a computer only I was used to that. I understand there is an app now but I haven't been using it.

As far as battery life I have gone as long five days without even an alert that I had a low battery. I suppose I could have gone longer but these were just travels over the holidays, etc., and I uploaded when I got home. I also didn't have any problems cutting it and I had to do it with two different Loops. I tend to be anal so I did watch the video first and read the directions but no problems.

My only complaint with the Loop now is the web site could be better. I wish it had the ability to isolate certain time periods to see what my calorie burn was in a specified time frame because sometimes during workouts my HR7 and the Loop stop communicating so that would be helpful. This was a feature I liked on the Bodybugg website. I also wish the inactivity alarm had a vibrate feature.

I have to say I initially regretted my purchase but now three months in I am happy with it. Customer service from both Polar and HRM USA has been pretty good. Polar even sent me a second loop because my first one might have been defective and I didn't order it from them. And because it was a pre Christmas purchase I could have returned it to HRM USA as late as yesterday if I had wanted to.

Nothing is perfect but for the price it's a cool tool and I love gadgets and I would do it again. And since wearing it I minus a couple times just to check for calorie comparison I have stopped wearing my regular Polar HRM.
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am disappointed to find out that it is not compatible with the H1 HRM. I have a Polar FT4 and HR1 HRM. I think this would definitely be a cool buy if I didn't have to get a new chest strap.
  • HakkaFist
    HakkaFist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my Loop! I have it and the H7 HR monitor and could not be happier. I had a fit bit, and was looking at maybe getting the Force but I really liked the HR monitor pairing with the loop.

Battery life is no biggie for me as I sync every day and so charge it then as well.

I admit I love the activity goal 'fireworks' when you reach your daily goal.

I wish it had an alarm function, as well as a battery level 'tab'. The android app is coming and I hope to see it able to ship data to MFP as that would be awesome.

The only complaint I have is that the site is kind of iffy sometimes, but that will improve with time.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I see that there is a LOT of experience on HRM' s here! Great! I am looking for an HRM, not too expensive, that will work with my samsung galaxy s3 and that I don't have to wear a wrist unit. Any suggestions?
  • heybales
    Options
    I see that there is a LOT of experience on HRM' s here! Great! I am looking for an HRM, not too expensive, that will work with my samsung galaxy s3 and that I don't have to wear a wrist unit. Any suggestions?

You don't need a HRM, you can get an app on the device for that. You need a HR strap that reads the HR and sends the beats to the app for doing something with.

Google Bluetooth HR strap.

Or review this one.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/wahoo-fitness-blue-hr-bluetooth-low.html
  • kassdeck
    Options
    I've had my loop for about a week and I am really disappointed. After walking all day yesterday, my fitbit registered about 10000 steps, but the loop had me at about 5000. That's too much of a difference to discount, I'm afraid. I love the polar websites (beat and personal trainer) but not enough to warrant an eighty-seven dollar investment with the loop.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have had a Loop for about six months. The Bluetooth died on it within the first few months and I had to send it in for repair. While it was gone, I bought a Fitbit Force. Right now, I am wearing them both. How sick is that?

I love a lot of things about the Loop but there are also things I hate. Those first. Polar Flow does not synch with MFP. I can't get any reliable information about whether it ever will. Polar's software stinks sooooo bad that I am guessing they will be putting those fires out for a long time before they get around to opening up their API. Given these Fins' long history of perpetually bad software, that may never happen.

Did I mention the software stinks? Polar Flow--the web portal--has a really bad user interface. Finding anything useful there is more work that it is worth. The iPhone app is a little better but not much. All you can tell about your sleep is how long it lasted. Forget about how many times or when you got up during the night much less any indication of the general quality of your sleep.

Customer support is a joke. Email responses are slow and very rarely address the question posed. Phone support is even worse. I called on Thursday morning and got in a hold queue reporting that I should expect a five minute wait. Later the recording said I should expect a 15 minute wait. Next I got a recording (after about 20 minutes on hold) stating that I would be required to leave a voice mail. That led to a recording saying that the voice mailbox was full. Finally, I got a live person with a lot of attitude to took down my name and number and promised a call back that afternoon. It's three days later and I am still waiting.

The main thing I like about the loop is it's hear rate monitoring capability. I am only able to keep my exercising up with a lot of variety (running, walking, biking, inline skating kayaking, weight training, gym based cardio machines etc.). If you are willing to wear a heart rate monitor, the Loop will give you credit for all of your elevated heart rate time. Fitbit won't. At the end of a 10 mile skating session yesterday morning, my loop said I had burned 1,702 calories while the Fitbit had credited me with only 1,190. Neither device knew what I had been doing but the Loop "knew" my heart rate had been in the aerobic zone for 90 minutes.

You can accomplish the same thing with Runkeeper, an iPhone, and a Bluetooth HRM as long as you stay outdoors. Where this option falls apart is when you walk into the gym which is not a Runkeeper friendly environment.

In summary, if you don't mind wearing a HRM when you exercise, if you swim, if you spend a lot of time exercising indoors, if you don't care about detailed sleep information and you don't care about linking your calorie burn information auto magically with MFP, run out and by a Loop and and H7 HRM right now. Otherwise, you are probably better off with a Fitbit product (none perfect) or a Jawbone UP24 (which has its share of hair too) but at least they link seamlessly to MFP which is pretty important to me.