Want to start Stronglifts but keep working out 5x week

Options

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'6, 142lbs, currently doing self designed split routine 5x a week, mon-fri. My goal is to lose body fat and get down to about 130.

I find stronglifts appealing, But I am discouraged by the program being designed for 3 sessions a week only. I Am used to working out 5 days a week and enjoy it a lot. I know the days off are designed for rest, But could I still do some work, Maybe isolation? I don't want to do cardio, as I find it boring (I have knee issues and can only use elliptical on medium settings or treadmills for walking, no impact exercise). I used to do a full hour of elliptical back when I started going gym and have no idea how I got through it.

If you have any experience or any suggestions on what I could do on my days off, I'm all ears:)

set your program according to your goals, THEN figure out how to handle it emotionally. I've made this mistake, and I think lots of otherwise smart people often make this mistake: training too frequently when the goal is weight loss. It's taken me a year of KNOWING I should train less when I eat less to actually do it, so I'm not saying this is easy. but if you want the best results possible you just gotta do it.

but to keep you busy, you could add some jump rope once a week, yoga once a week, and mobility work once a week. There you go six days of something to do, one day off.

This is definitely one of those "don't do what I did if you can help it" replies.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The format of SL works really well though for people who are relatively new to lifting- the squats every workout are ok when you're not lifting THAT much weight- your legs can handle it. I think pretty much everyone serious will come to a point where they can't make forward progress anymore without splitting it up, but it's really good until you stall out. It's soooo much more simple than other splits. I was successful at it for probably a year (though I will always argue that chin ups or pull ups need to be in that program)

See I actually completely disagree with this, the structure of stronglifts 5x5 lends itself more to a moderate-advanced program, for the following reasons:

• Compound work is generally not for newbies, that's isolation work on machines. Compounds require nuances and an understanding of proper form.
    • Heavy compound work requires even more advanced knowledge. Form has to be perfect to avoid injury. You have to have experience and confidence to know your limits. This reason alone makes it at least a moderately advanced workout.
    • Simplicity of the routine does not equal newbie friendly, the simplicity is deceptively hard. It does require discipline to follow it exactly and an advanced understanding of the importance of rest/recovery to not modify it, as we've seen in this thread.
    • I think a person can disagree with squat frequency but the program makes the argument this is the most important exercise and people can handle the frequency/progression. This may just be a philosophical difference but does not indicate the routine is less advanced.

wow. just... no!

I really wish I had started with a dedication to learning compound lifts instead of waiting so long. If you have a bit of kinesthetic sense and moderate intelligence, you should be able to read the book, take it to the gym with a buddy, and get your lifts good enough to avoid injury.

what you say is basically ludicrous on its face. if compound lifts require more advanced knowledge (I think you meant skill), you START with them. THAT is how you acquire experience and knowledge. You learn a movement pattern by doing it, not by wasting your time on freaking machines. Starting on machines would simply back up ignorance with muscle, and set you up for injury when you finally decide you are ready for real lifting.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift 5 days a week, don't do Stronglifts.

Find a 5-day split and do that instead (you could do a body part split or something with mixed-qualities training like PHAT). Or do an upper/lower 4 day split with a day of mobility/yoga/swimming (I'm thinking something like 5/3/1, for example).

You'll progress faster doing Stronglifts, but you've got to weigh that against what you'll enjoy/what you'll stick with.

Sometimes the heart wants what it wants.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    See I actually completely disagree with this, the structure of stronglifts 5x5 lends itself more to a moderate-advanced program, for the following reasons:

Compound work is generally not for newbies, that's isolation work on machines. Compounds require nuances and an understanding of proper form.
    • Heavy compound work requires even more advanced knowledge. Form has to be perfect to avoid injury. You have to have experience and confidence to know your limits. This reason alone makes it at least a moderately advanced workout.
    • Simplicity of the routine does not equal newbie friendly, the simplicity is deceptively hard. It does require discipline to follow it exactly and an advanced understanding of the importance of rest/recovery to not modify it, as we've seen in this thread.
    • I think a person can disagree with squat frequency but the program makes the argument this is the most important exercise and people can handle the frequency/progression. This may just be a philosophical difference but does not indicate the routine is less advanced.

Please. You are weirdly fetishizing the non-existing complexity of compound work. I've lifted on and off for years. It's reeeally not that difficult. In fact, I think the opposite is true: that compound work is actually best for newbies, and that they should start right away. I hope none are put off by the above!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am currently in week 6 of 5x5. I love it. I started with the bar for most the lifts except DL and squats. As far as additional workouts, I stick with the schedule but I do a HIIT workout at the end of my session (usually 1 or 2 circuits). For now I am good with it but I am listening to my body. As the weight gets heavier I may not be able to. I like the program in that you say measure results. I probably won't stick with the program forever but it is a great way to build a base.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

• Compound work is generally not for newbies, that's isolation work on machines. Compounds require nuances and an understanding of proper form.

I have to strongly disagree with your view that this is a "moderate-advanced program". This is not even close to an advanced program. This has very few training variables with rapid linear progression, which is sensible for a NOVICE trainee who can adapt to training bouts in 48-72 hours (based on our general knowledge of comprehensive recovery systems). An Advanced trainee, will have years of experience and will require complex, undulating programs, which would look very different from a SL-type of program. You will never see an advanced/elite lifter using a program like this unless they are coming back from a layoff or injury, in which they could use simple linear programming to get back into training shape.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The most you could reasonably dois break it up into upper/lower days.

Day 1: Squat (5x5), Deadlift (1x5), Abs
    Day 2: OHP (5x5), Row (5x5), Bench (5x5)
    Day 3: Squat (5x5), Deadlift Variant (light, 3x10), Abs
    Day 4: OHP (5x5), Row (5x5), Bench (5x5)

The only thing you loose is Squating 3x week, in favor of twice. Which is fine actually, and you're getting more volume in week after week. You're hitting everything 4x per 2 week period, vs 3x with the standard SL5x5.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

I don't find the compound lifts to be all that dangerous, provided you start light (in most cases with the bar), and have the maturity to watch/read about proper form (of which there are good resources on the SL 5x5 site).

Can't live life with the emergency brake on. Just start light and pay attention.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the answers!

It is pretty much what I thought, will have to treat the rest days as such, but the swimming is not a bad idea. Unfortunately I can't handle bike, but swimming could be great!

I will think about doing strong lifts some more as I really want to work out 5 days a week and if I can't, this may not be the program for me like one poster said.

All the feedback has been very useful, thank you!
    The rowing machine is also an option for your rest days.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The program is written the way it is because when training using that format, rest is of extremely high importance.

It's important to note that Stronglifts was designed primarily for people seeking functional strength gains. And any program designed for people seeking such a goal will feature more rest days, because the workouts work your whole body.

If you want to train 5 days a week, then a "bro split" will be perfectly fine. However, just bear in mind you will not see the same kind of gains (in terms of functional fitness) that you would if you were training full body, fewer days a week.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 5x5 reps at a truly heavy weight for you, you'll need that day off.

I agree with this. Both the Stronglifts A and Stronglifts B workout contain squats. I see no way that you could follow the program as designed and recover fully between workouts when squatting 5x5 with heavy weights, five days each week.

If you are worried about your knees, focus on low impact forms of cardio such as swimming.

This is my main beef with Stronglifts, that it has squats every lifting day. I get that it keeps it simple with heavy compounds, but a traditional body part split makes soooo much more sense. If you do a 3, 4, or 5 day split where each day is a separate muscle group, then that muscle group has much more time to recover before it has to be worked out again meaning you can hit that muscle group as hard as possible and not have to worry about hitting it again in 2 days...

It makes no less sense than a bro split. Particularly for a beginner, there's no reason to spend so much time between hitting muscle groups. Hell, bulgarian/oly style programs squat daily. Then there's Sheiko and Smolov in between. People are capable of way more than they give themselves credit for.

Also, strength training is about CNS gains just as much as muscle. Strength programs don't require working a muscle into the ground to achieve a favorable adaptive response.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The format of SL works really well though for people who are relatively new to lifting- the squats every workout are ok when you're not lifting THAT much weight- your legs can handle it. I think pretty much everyone serious will come to a point where they can't make forward progress anymore without splitting it up, but it's really good until you stall out. It's soooo much more simple than other splits. I was successful at it for probably a year (though I will always argue that chin ups or pull ups need to be in that program)

Nonsense like this is what keeps so many new lifters away from barbell work. There's zero reason for a beginning lifter not to start off with barbell compound lifts. All it takes is half a brain to use the resources available to do it safely and effectively.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Recovery is part of the program, so I would not do accessory lifts on off days. That subverts that recovery portion.

Regarding the above post, I would actually not recommend doing HIIT on your off days. Running, yoga, Pilates, anything else, would be okay.

Why no hiit?

If you're truly doing HIIT correctly it taxes the muscles the same as lifting, and requires the same rest time afterwards- so doing it in between is almost the same as lifting again.

Most people don't really do HIIT when they say they're doing it though. Like if someone says they're doing 30 mins of HIIT, it's not HIIT.

Sooo what if you lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday, do something Tuesday let's say, then Hiit on Saturday, that works? i realize it's the day after lifting but you have more time to recover until monday.
    If you wanted to do HIIT too, do HIIT on the same day as your lifting, and let the recovery day be a recovery day.
    That's what I've seen recommended, but I do not do HIIT, so maybe someone can back me up or correct me.

Ive heard that too, but ive also seen: lift 3 days a week, hiit twice for the best results of fat loss. Though I don't do hiit on lift days because blaha's 5 x5, which is essentially stronglifts with accessory work, takes about 70-80 minutes to complete and i am pretty gassed afterwards. So usually i just leave it for the day after. But i do want to know too now.

when i do sprint/hiit cycles, i do them the same day as i lift, just separated out at different times. since the sprint workout is only 30 minutes (counting warm up, cool down and actual go time), it's not that big of a deal to do in the morning at my gym's indoor track.. then i do weights at the end of the day after work.

that way there's no competition for recovery AND i'm going to be able to give my all to both
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Recovery is part of the program, so I would not do accessory lifts on off days. That subverts that recovery portion.

Regarding the above post, I would actually not recommend doing HIIT on your off days. Running, yoga, Pilates, anything else, would be okay.

Why no hiit?

If you're truly doing HIIT correctly it taxes the muscles the same as lifting, and requires the same rest time afterwards- so doing it in between is almost the same as lifting again.

Most people don't really do HIIT when they say they're doing it though. Like if someone says they're doing 30 mins of HIIT, it's not HIIT.

Sooo what if you lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday, do something Tuesday let's say, then Hiit on Saturday, that works? i realize it's the day after lifting but you have more time to recover until monday.
    If you wanted to do HIIT too, do HIIT on the same day as your lifting, and let the recovery day be a recovery day.
    That's what I've seen recommended, but I do not do HIIT, so maybe someone can back me up or correct me.

Ive heard that too, but ive also seen: lift 3 days a week, hiit twice for the best results of fat loss. Though I don't do hiit on lift days because blaha's 5 x5, which is essentially stronglifts with accessory work, takes about 70-80 minutes to complete and i am pretty gassed afterwards. So usually i just leave it for the day after. But i do want to know too now.

And this is the key. If your goal is fat loss, not strength gain, do HIIT. If you want to see significant strength gains, take the rest days.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    if you are doing 5x5 the right way, you wont be able to work out 5x a week.

i can do two days then i need a rest day. if you are lifting heavy you wont need to be in there every day. that's the goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I used to do the StrongLifts program it was a godsend it ramped by Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press to over 300lbs each in a matter of months. But I didn't ONLY do StongLifts, cause i felt like I'd be short changing myself if j didn't go hard in the gym for the majority of the week (4 to 5 days). So if you want to go the gym more than the 3 days the program says you should go ahead, just make sure you give 100% everyday you hit the gym. I'd recommend doing exercises that compliment the stronglifts stuff on the other days: CrossFit WODs are good short workouts that make sure you don't burnout the next day.
    I'd agree with that. I'm doing stronglifts, and I have been doing steady state cardio on some of my rest days with at least 2 true rest days a week. I'm getting tired of that, so I'm going to try barbell complexes for cardio on off days (and maybe one day the same day as lifting but different time because that's when I can make it to the gym). I'm going to try and see what happens. For a few months, I rowed on off days, and after 90 minutes in a boat, the next day lifts sucked. I was ok with that.

Your lifting might suffer, it might improve. See what happens and see if you like it. If your big lifts suffer and you don't like the results, go back to 3 days. If you're exhausted and can't recover, go back to 3 days only. If you can handle it just fine, keep doing it. I would still keep some true rest days to give your muscles time to rebuild.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

The only thing you loose is Squating 3x week, in favor of twice. Which is fine actually, and you're getting more volume in week after week. You're hitting everything 4x per 2 week period, vs 3x with the standard SL5x5.

^ I like it.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

^ I like it.

Ya right? It was fun to think about but it's not perfect.

One thing I hadn't considered was the incrementation though. I guess keep it the same with an individual limit for the deadlift variant since it's assistance work and not meant to be a strength exercise.

It's also going to be more intensive since you're always hitting everything twice a week. Maybe OHP light 3x10 one day, and Bench light 3x10 the other to keep it a bit less intense? I'm really starting like the thought of this though...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^ I like it.

Ya right? It was fun to think about but it's not perfect.

One thing I hadn't considered was the incrementation though. I guess keep it the same with an individual limit for the deadlift variant since it's assistance work and not meant to be a strength exercise.

It's also going to be more intensive since you're always hitting everything twice a week. Maybe OHP light 3x10 one day, and Bench light 3x10 the other to keep it a bit less intense? I'm really starting like the thought of this though...

I had the same thought but the fast progression of SL5x5 would still be fine for the beginner until higher levels are reached.