I hate it, I hate it exercise. I hate it!

Options
I need help, I don't understand how some people can go from doing no exercise to exercising all the time and love it.

I hate hate hate exercise. I have tried spinning, took me longer to recover from the extensive pain of my *kitten* hurting and not being able to sit down.

I never learned how to ride a bike, nor can I swim.

I can't run for 2mins without my ears feeling like they about explode, my head tightening up and my vision going blurry.

I can't join a dance group like Zumba etc...as none run on the times I need around my work schedule.

I've tried playing tennis, but no one to play with

I have tried home workouts and youtube and they are just booking and predictable

I know it sounds like I'm moaning, but I would like to know if anyone else has felt the same and found a way to get fit and lose weight, because if all I can do is going walking 30 minutes a day that would be great, but apparently u have to do high intensity cardio to get rid of my freaking tummy that I just can't shift.

If anyone has lost weight by just walking, that would be great, I do things like the London ummm london route thing that Boris has set up so I walk 5miles or more on the weekends and walk everywhere during the week. That's all I can manage to do without feeling like fainting all the time. Oh I'm anaemic by the way so I nearly fainted in a dumbbell class and I had only be there for 10minutes.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Walking + a calorie deficit is plenty to lose weight. You don't have to get fit to lose weight.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I didn't like exercise, until I starting lifting weights. Maybe, you'd like that better? If you have a few pounds to lose, most people will recommend that you eat at 20% below TDEE. If you want to tighten your core/tummy, weight lifting can solve that, from what I'm told. So far, I CAN feel it in my tummy, when I lift. Hope this helps!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sure let me simplify it. The one thing that you HAVE to do to loose weight, is eat a calorie deficit (1-2 lbs loss per week). MyFitnessPal can set this up for you based on your age, weight, and activity level. I recommend everyone set their MFP account to "Sedentary" for activity and add whatever exercise they do using the exercise calculators in your diary.

Exercise only helps you burn some calories, and accordingly helps you create the deficit. But it isn't necessary to loose weight, and you can feel free to eat back what you burn. Just make sure you're not cheating yourself so you get accurate weight loss results.

As for what exercise you do, walking is excellent, and it will help you get to your goals. You don't *need* to do anything else if you don't want to.

Now, since this is important to you and it is going to take some time and work, I highly recommend you learn about it so you don't end up fumbling around. I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great, basic book about fundamentals, and it's an easy read. Even if you decide not to lift weights at all, you'll be so much better for having read it.
  • MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh.:laugh:

I used to like exercise but too old and unfit now.

Walking is an excellent form of exercise.
  • pammyiam
    pammyiam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have always lost weight in the past without heavy exercising. Guess what? I always ended up gaining it back. As I approach 50 I realize I need to move to feel better and get the weight off for good. Right now I am doing T25 and love that it's a quick intense workout.
    Do you have a pet? I also find walking my dog is a good reason to get out there too. Good luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WHY?? I LOVE IT!
    I CANNOT DO ENOUGH!
    I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day, 7 days a week.
    oh the high I get
    YIPPEE!
    get it done!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to hate anything that got me remotely sweaty or breathless. Now I love it. I never thought it would happen. I heard a lot of people say "you just have to find the right thing". I didn't believe but it happened. Keep looking, keep trying stuff. You will know as soon as you try it.

Weight lifting is really something you should try, if you haven't.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I used to hate anything that got me remotely sweaty or breathless. Now I love it. I never thought it would happen. I heard a lot of people say "you just have to find the right thing". I didn't believe but it happened. Keep looking, keep trying stuff. You will know as soon as you try it.

Weight lifting is really something you should try, if you haven't.

Agreed, it's awesome. But like with anything else, take it slow at the beginning, and read that book I suggested.

You don't have to love exercise, not everyone is going to be a character in a Nike commercial (for instance, I hate cardio). Learn the basics, and make your decisions (healthy decisions).

Good knowledge, healthy mind set, healthy approach.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You need to do something where you see results. Try some heavy lifting for a few weeks and, even if you don't like it, you will love what you see happening in the mirror and how strong you feel.
  • gosparkie
    gosparkie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand! I hate exercise too - probably because I'm asthmatic, and also have an unrelated medical condition where I cannot jump or jar my head a lot (so things like Zumba/jogging/etc. are not for me).

I've found that the exercise part itself goes by a lot faster when you're not thinking about it. In my case, I play video games, watch a documentary on TV, etc. when I'm walking or riding a stationery bike. I tell myself that as long as the TV's on, I've got to be moving in some way. It helps reduce some of the monotony and chore of it.

Another thing I bought myself is something called a Blue Goji. It's a little wireless game-type system that works with your iPad, iPhone and maybe Android device. It detects when you're moving and has two little controller buttons that can go on the side of your treadmill or the handles of your stationery bike, etc. and you clip a wireless sensor on your hip or collar, and it detects your movement. Until you move, the game won't continue. There are I think 5 or 6 games for it (all free) -- of all different types.

If you like gaming, I highly recommend either of these methods :)
  • notsoskinny987
    notsoskinny987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. It's that 'I love it' that phrase, how do you get to that point where you love it because all I've ever felt is pain, headaches, passing out a lot, loads of tiredness, people say your more energetic ha! Not for me. I exercise I'll sleep for ages. Lol.

I know my anaemia has quite a bit to play with most of the things I can't do....sometimes I'm like I'm gonna just do this class for a week, then I faint in class and then that results in to me not being able to do much physical activity at all for 2weeks or something before in an get my strength back...which kinda sucks really.

Maybe walking and weights might be a good combo. I'm very confident in my diet I made sure I got that down real good. It's just this damn thing people seem to love which is exercise.

Like I see people running and I can see the pain on their faces and I'm like geeezzzzz is it really worth it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A big time problem people have is going too hard, too fast...it isn't enjoyable and they otherwise burn out. Maybe take it down a notch...you don't have to go from zero to 100 and really, that's not advisable anyway.

I personally started with getting my diet in order (that is the most important thing for weight loss) and then just walking for my fitness. I started out walking 3 days per week for about 1/2 hour...then bumped that up to 5 days per week...then I alternated between 30 and 60 minute walks.

As I started to lose weight and got my body used to moving I started doing other things like incorporating running into the mix, etc. I tried to press the issue and be a runner, but ultimately decided I didn't really like it...I did discover that I love to get out on my bike and I love weight lifting and I love going out for hikes on the weekend and I still love my nice walk in the park just to move a little.

If I had started balls to the wall, I can pretty much guarantee you that I wouldn't have kept up with any of this for what has been about 15 - 16 months now.
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    When I was younger I hated exercise. Now that I'm older and presumably wiser I don't hate it, or love it, but I do love the people I work out with. Join a gym (if you haven't already) and make friends there to work out with. Laugh with each other as you pump iron (it drives the guys nuts). Chat on the treadmill or stationary bike (oh, and padded bike shorts are a must. Trust me) it will help the time fly by and you'll burn calories as you get into shape. Then when you've found a class to join you might find that you actually don't mind exercising, because somewhere along the line you found fun.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    You need to do something where you see results. Try some heavy lifting for a few weeks and, even if you don't like it, you will love what you see happening in the mirror and how strong you feel.

Nothing changes in a couple weeks from weight lifting except for fat loss from a deficit...

That said, there's some research out there I believe that says weight lifting burns fat efficiently... but screw all the margins and the "tips". Stick with the basics, find an exercise you like to do and can do, and you'll get your results.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you hate it because you are trying to push yourself too hard too fast maybe. If you want to run and can't run for 2 minutes, try running for thirty seconds and walking for two minutes. Or just walk for 30 minutes but change up the pace and incline to keep it challenging. As you improve you'll be able to achieve more. The feeling I get from continuing to make progress and achieve new fitness goals is what makes exercise so much fun for me.

I have also found that I enjoy the friends I've made in spin and yoga classes. I love spin but the first few workouts are really tough on your butt. A padded seat cover can help a bit, but mostly you just have to get used to it. When I first started spin I was all over the place - basically doing my own thing and keeping up as best I could. I couldn't stand as long as the class would stand and I couldn't sit as long as the class would sit. But, I just changed position when my body needed to and increased/decreased the resistance as needed to be challenged at my own level.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I didn't like exercise, until I starting lifting weights. Maybe, you'd like that better? If you have a few pounds to lose, most people will recommend that you eat at 20% below TDEE. If you want to tighten your core/tummy, weight lifting can solve that, from what I'm told. So far, I CAN feel it in my tummy, when I lift. Hope this helps!

This! I hate exercise too, and I would be much more happy on the couch watching football than at the gym. But I have come to realize, after trying almost everything, that weight lifting is what makes me go back to the gym. I still do cardio, but I'd much rather lift heavy. You don't have to love it, you just have to do it. Something, anything, dance around in your kitchen or chase your dog around the backyard. Come to my house and shovel a butt ton of snow or walk. Read all you can about fitness and figure out what's best for you. Nobody said that in order to be healthy, you have to be a runner :flowerforyou:
  • notsoskinny987
    notsoskinny987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've seen that. A lot of older people I've seen at the gym at 6am. Woman in her 50-60years killing it on the treadmill and I'm 24yrs suppose to be the young and fit one is dying. I'm like how can this be?! Crazy. I've joined gyms, spin classes, classes at the gym, outdoor work out groups, personal trainer....the list goes on.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit, and walk.
    Walking is my daily workout, and keeps me burning 2600+ cals a day, rather than 2100 if I just sit all day.
    Add in other simple things to burn some more cals, like getting a light medicine ball (Say 6-8lbs) and toss it up and down while watching tv, or find an old used bike you can tool around town on and set up as a stationary bike.
    Even simple stuff like while you are laying in bed or on the couch, lift your feet about 6 inches and hold them there as long as you can, wait a minute and do it again. Do that 3 times and you will be working out the abs and noticing that you can hold your feet up longer and longer.
    Maybe do 10 quick squats every time you get ready to sit down at home, or 10 jumping jacks when you go to get a drink.
    You don't have to spend hours at a time at it to burn more cals and get a bit of a workout in.
    Just move more, and you will burn more.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Find something you actually like to do. I hate cardio with a passion. But I found I really enjoy lifting weights. So I lift weights and never do cardio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: eat at a deficit, and walk. Walk for 20-30 minutes to start out and go from there.